Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

I work in IT and one thing I've learned is to never buy version 1.0 of a product. So when a car has been redesigned, a lot of buyers avoid buying it in its first year. They'd rather wait to see what issues come up and let the manufacturer work the bugs out. But sometimes, you want a car so much that you'll accept the first year model. Or maybe your circumstances don't leave you with the option of waiting. I'm just curious to hear if anyone bought a first-year model and how it turned out. I've done it twice and both times, the car I got never gave me any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
A lot of new cars nowadays have better quality and share many qualities to an already existing and proven line of assemblies. I've bought at the first and last year of a model and had the same amount of issues with both (which weren't many). So I think its really a crapshoot nowadays. Back in the 80's and 90's though I probably would've preferred waiting a couple years to let them get the kinks out.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I work in IT and one thing I've learned is to never buy version 1.0 of a product. So when a car has been redesigned, a lot of buyers avoid buying it in its first year. They'd rather wait to see what issues come up and let the manufacturer work the bugs out. But sometimes, you want a car so much that you'll accept the first year model. Or maybe your circumstances don't leave you with the option of waiting. I'm just curious to hear if anyone bought a first-year model and how it turned out. I've done it twice and both times, the car I got never gave me any issues.
It really depends on a lot of variables. Some "first year models" are really nothing more than slightly different skin on last year's model. Others are made by companies who actually do their R&D themselves, rather than just test new products on the public.

Most people tend to shy away from first year model cars, but I hear mixed reviews.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I don't think it's a hard and fast rule like it used to be. I've actually found some first model years that were overall more reliable than the subsequent ones. It comes down to research and knowing what is really new and what isn't. Completely new from the ground up cars are rare these days and most share platforms, engines, transmissions and various other parts with other cars. I would personally be hesitant about buying the first year of something COMPLETELY new, but it's very hard to find a completely new car.

The last vehicle I bought in the first model year brand new was my 2004 GTO. However, the car it was based on the Holden Monaro had been in existence in Australia for sometime and the engine and transmission were both proven combo's in Corvette's, Camaro's and Trans Ams. So, it really wasn't a "new" car, just new to the U.S.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I would be more concerned about first year technologies that are introduced, than the car itself. Usually the latest gizmo that gets introduced on a certain model before being added to others is where the problems lie. A perfect example of this is the early 2000's BMW 7-series that debuted a lot of new technology including i-Drive. The car was mechanically sound, but the electronics and control systems were a nightmare. It took several years before BMW worked out the kinks.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
The only time I would hesitate is if it was the first year of a brand new powertrain component (new engine or tranny) and/or if the car used some crazy new system (e.g. hybrid). Other than that, so much stuff can change year-to-year on a car that it's tough to say what is being used for the first time and what is not.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 06-29-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 AM

141 posts, read 589,399 times
I did. Neighbor owned the dealership, so went in, told him what I wanted, and ordered it. Waited way too long, almost ALL summer. Neighbor apologized and I received a few items free. But, it was not worth it, after I had it. Paint all peeled. After a few years, I had to pay for expensive engine work. sorry, being a girl, I don't remember what it was. But, it was expensive. Ran good for some years after that. Traded it as soon as it started going bad again. That was a sports car, two-door. First year. They don't make them anymore. Learned two lessons, never buy first and most likely 2nd year of a car and never order it and have them make it. Thats just my experience, I haven't owned a lot, as I tend to keep them, until something major goes wrong with the vehicle or a larger vehicle is needed as I added kids to our family.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 AM

635 posts, read 1,165,739 times
There was a study done (can't remember the publication) which showed that statistically the cars with the fewest issues are those that are manufactured in the last year of production for a given model.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My experience even taking firends into considetio is that all really new models have minor or sometime really problems that can ruin the experience of owenrship that often are not corrected for a year or even more.I am even more leary with all the changes being made to increase the mileage these days that are pretty radical.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Sent you a PM.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
One of the first year models I did end up buying had two issues. But I knew about these issues ahead of time because I was looking at the car in the Fall, almost a full year after it arrived in showrooms. One was the stock tires that came with the car and the other was the seat bottom cover. I knew that the manufacturer was planning to put different tires on the next year's model and replace the seat cover. So as part of my negotiations with the dealer, I told them I wouldn't buy the car unless they swapped out the tires and agreed to install the new seat covers once they became available from the manufacturer. So while there were no major issues, that was the last time I ever bought a first year model. One of the cars I've been looking at recently is the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. But it's a first year model from a manufacturer that's only recently improved its quality. So that has me a little weary. On the other hand, I just negotiated a really great deal with a car that's been out for 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive