Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,660,444 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 vehicle. The Transmission Differential is going out. Thankfully its under Warranty ! ( whew )

Is it that common for a 2001 to go out ?. I have 79,900 miles on the car.

I have always maintained the vehicle. I am orginal owner. I have had the 15 k maintenance , the 30k , the 45k and the 60k. And all services such as oil changes and maintenance items , all lights , noises and sounds were quickly investigated in the last 9 years .

Why would it fail , and how much would something like that cost to repair ? , just curious ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 11:42 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Lets see now...if your 50 yrs old...are you just as strong as when you were lets say 25 ys of age?...I doubt it.

Not sure if your talking a manual or automatic trans...there is a difference.

At times a persons driving habits will determine the longevity of a vehicle or just a bad luck of the draw. Parts will fail at some point in usage.

I'm a retired mechanic and know how to treat a car...and still do have a part fail every so often. Just yesterday noticed a oil hose starting to swell so I changed it before going into town...can't afford to break down on the road even with a small tool box in the car for emergency repairs if needed. Never know what fate holds.

Steve

Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,870,401 times
Default Stuff happens!

As Steve says. but as well, the model affects this. if it's an integrated auto trans and diff, a failure in the auto trans fluid (age, overheating, metal particles, etc.) would then rapidly accelerate wear on the diff. Then, when the micro-thin surface hardening treatment fails, it's all downhill from there, baby!

Some manufacturers (notably GM & Chrysler) do in fact, (Warning: urban myth coming up!) focus some engineering effort on making stuff that just barely lasts, sometimes not even through the warranty period. OMG, huh? Frankly, they could give a rats patoot about you, the customer, Just buy a new one, damn it! (I know; I retired from one of them, as a field engineer, three+ years ago. The minute I left them, they immediately started to go under! I just knew all along that I was irreplaceable!).

Some free advice: buy an Acura, a Volvo, A Toyota/Lexus that's built in Japan or even a Ford (As a now ex-GM engineer, I have driven an F350 for over 13 years. No big problems, not exactly what I saw with the GM products...).

And then, maintain, maintain, maintain. Keep them fluids and filters clean, use synthetic (Amsoil is very good...) lubes, and don't let things overheat. Do not abuse your vehicle's drive-train in the summer, for example, up in the Rockies on an Interstate, towing to big a load without a break, while the trans is low on fluids! Yikes. And yet we saw it all the time, along with the smoking hulk of an auto-trans on the shop floor.

Ohhh well; it's only what... $6500? Yep: just helpin' the US economy along!

Yada yada.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I have a 2001 vehicle. The Transmission Differential is going out. Thankfully its under Warranty ! ( whew )

Is it that common for a 2001 to go out ?. I have 79,900 miles on the car.

I have always maintained the vehicle. I am orginal owner. I have had the 15 k maintenance , the 30k , the 45k and the 60k. And all services such as oil changes and maintenance items , all lights , noises and sounds were quickly investigated in the last 9 years .

Why would it fail , and how much would something like that cost to repair ? , just curious ..
If you have a transaxle going out at that kind of mileage, it's due to poor design & workmanship and/or horrible driving habits and/or lack of maintenance.

It sounds like you're pretty meticulous with your maintenance, which means you're probably not beating on the car. So basically, that leads me to believe you've got one of those cars that has something inherently wrong with the transaxle.

It might be a fluke, or it might be typical of that car. Telling us the make & model would probably be helpful.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

5,250 posts, read 4,639,824 times
Early CVT types were troublesome, a lot never saw 100 grand before crapping out, as mentioned above the engineering in some makes and models is less than it should be. There was and is an awful lot of "econo-engineering" that gets the car into a more desirable fuel burn range but the way it's done is not always advantageous to the overall life of the car. I'll take a better designed car that doesn't get that super gas milage over one that gets forty MPG but won't last over seventy or eighty thousand miles before needing major work......

Old 07-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Lets see now...if your 50 yrs old...are you just as strong as when you were lets say 25 ys of age?...I doubt it.

Not sure if your talking a manual or automatic trans...there is a difference.

At times a persons driving habits will determine the longevity of a vehicle or just a bad luck of the draw. Parts will fail at some point in usage.

I'm a retired mechanic and know how to treat a car...and still do have a part fail every so often. Just yesterday noticed a oil hose starting to swell so I changed it before going into town...can't afford to break down on the road even with a small tool box in the car for emergency repairs if needed. Never know what fate holds.

Steve
How I treat my car : Since its the only one I own and I don't want a car payment I have always treated my car very well.

I see people on road trips going 95 mph flying past me and since I don't want a ticket I don't go more than 9 miles an hour over the speed limit.

I take it easy over train tracks , bumps , turns , & u turns .

I * listen * to my car if you will. If it smells weird I take it in. If a warning light comes on I take it in. If I have a strange sound I take it in. And I mean that day.

I figure my car would appreciate being treated good so I did and my car was very good to me . I drove across the US and back .

Okay, my car is Kia Rio. One of the first out. People critisize the car but its been very good and dependable to me.

It is an Automatic.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
As Steve says. but as well, the model affects this. if it's an integrated auto trans and diff, a failure in the auto trans fluid (age, overheating, metal particles, etc.) would then rapidly accelerate wear on the diff. Then, when the micro-thin surface hardening treatment fails, it's all downhill from there, baby!

Some manufacturers (notably GM & Chrysler) do in fact, (Warning: urban myth coming up!) focus some engineering effort on making stuff that just barely lasts, sometimes not even through the warranty period. OMG, huh? Frankly, they could give a rats patoot about you, the customer, Just buy a new one, damn it! (I know; I retired from one of them, as a field engineer, three+ years ago. The minute I left them, they immediately started to go under! I just knew all along that I was irreplaceable!).

Some free advice: buy an Acura, a Volvo, A Toyota/Lexus that's built in Japan or even a Ford (As a now ex-GM engineer, I have driven an F350 for over 13 years. No big problems, not exactly what I saw with the GM products...).

And then, maintain, maintain, maintain. Keep them fluids and filters clean, use synthetic (Amsoil is very good...) lubes, and don't let things overheat. Do not abuse your vehicle's drive-train in the summer, for example, up in the Rockies on an Interstate, towing to big a load without a break, while the trans is low on fluids! Yikes. And yet we saw it all the time, along with the smoking hulk of an auto-trans on the shop floor.

Ohhh well; it's only what... $6500? Yep: just helpin' the US economy along!

Yada yada.
I have the 10 year , 100.000 mile warranty. I have never towed anything on the back of that little car

This is interesting but this is what a mechanic told me : " You know we have cars with 700,000 miles and the REASON they are around that many miles is because people maintain , maintain . maintan them

Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
If you have a transaxle going out at that kind of mileage, it's due to poor design & workmanship and/or horrible driving habits and/or lack of maintenance.

It sounds like you're pretty meticulous with your maintenance, which means you're probably not beating on the car. So basically, that leads me to believe you've got one of those cars that has something inherently wrong with the transaxle.

It might be a fluke, or it might be typical of that car. Telling us the make & model would probably be helpful.
I would have to put it down to poor workmanship.

They were very diligent about me proving that I maintained my vehicle. I pulled out ALL service records and they approved the new tranny diff....

I reported it as a 2001 Kia Rio .

The service writer told me it was very RARE for this to go out knowing my service history with this vehicle. I guess thats why they approved it with out dragging me weeks through trying to prove I maintained the vehicle.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Early CVT types were troublesome, a lot never saw 100 grand before crapping out, as mentioned above the engineering in some makes and models is less than it should be. There was and is an awful lot of "econo-engineering" that gets the car into a more desirable fuel burn range but the way it's done is not always advantageous to the overall life of the car. I'll take a better designed car that doesn't get that super gas milage over one that gets forty MPG but won't last over seventy or eighty thousand miles before needing major work......
I was curious : Once they install this and I take meticulous care of it as always, how long can I expect this tranny diff...to last ?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Okay, my car is Kia Rio. One of the first out. People critisize the car but its been very good and dependable to me.

It is an Automatic.
Thanks for the make & model information. And you won't find any snarky comments coming from me regarding that. I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles that some people think are crap - and have had great luck with them.

I've got a good friend who is a Kia parts & service manager. From most everything I've heard & read, the early Kias were prone to quite a few problems - some minor, some pretty significant.

But let's not be too hard on Kia. Every car company has a lot of "early model" duds they have a lot of recalls on and problems with.

It is my understanding that in recent years, Kia has made huge improvements.

Since you said it's under warranty, my advice would be for you to get the car in ASAP and have the work done - and insist on it being done right, not just some half-baked patch job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive