U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 AM

6,657 posts, read 18,712,673 times

Advertisements

DING...CHIRP call it what you may might be the coming future.

All future cars may have a bell or ringing sound of sort when coming towards you or maybe backing up in a parking lot letting a pedestrian aware of it's movement.

After having knee surgery and under recovery was nudged by a backing car in the parking lot of a large dept store. I was walking past a row of parked cars when a gal started to back up without seeing me and at the same time I did not hear the engine running...so we were both in essence to blame.

Should a bell or whistle of some sort be required on all vehicles that are potential hazards to pedestrians under certain conditions?

Commercial/industrial machinery do have a bell in construction situations that are commonly heard on many occasions...back hoes...dump trucks...fork lifts...you get the picture.

Noise today has had it's problems...where do we draw the line when it comes down to saving lives?...should society be more dilligent and condone noise or be required a hefty $$$ fine for the city coffers?

As for me I would rather have some "CHIRP CHIRP" or "DING DING" warning me of their coming at me or my way.

Any thoughts or experiences?...bound to be some.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,372,025 times
Steve, I'm in the "No amount of technology will replace good driving skills" camp! I like the "headlights on" and maybe the "key in ignition" chime. But that's about it. In the commercial vehicle arena, they're going "NUCKING FUTZ" with buzzers, beepers and bells for everything. Back several years ago, our trucks started showing up with an anti-collision radar that "beeped' every time you got too close to the vehicle in front of you. Imagine how noisy that was in rush hour traffic. Additionally, the dang thing would go off when passing bridge abutments and many other roadside objects. Thankfully, they're all disconnected now. But there's still a school of thought that warning signals for rollovers and lane departure are a good idea...

Speaking of technology, my company decided that it would be a great idea to replace the fender mirror on the right side of our trucks with a whiz-bang camera. And they removed the mirror! Well, many of the dang cameras don't work. If they do, they're too bright at night (at least for me) and the right turn signal is in the camera's field of view, so it's like a continuos photo flash going off every time you make a lane change or turn.

As for backup alarms, I guess I'm not that opposed to 'em. Not sure about a car, but it's about 60' from the driver's seat of my truck to the rear of the trailer. Maybe it might prevent an accident...

Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,351,006 times
Around 20 years ago I had a alteration in a home depot parking lot. I was walking to my truck and when passing a van they hit the ignition, loud rev right into reverse. As it hit me my hand slapped it first. Some big ole slob and his son want to kick my ass since I slapped their van, little bubba keeps saying "I will hold him dad so you can kick his butt".

I tried talking reason to them, "you hit me with your van", they are hell bent on a fight. I step over to the front door of the home depot and ask them to call the sheriff. These a*holes even pulled their van into the doorway of the depot. I told them ok, lets do this. They jump back into the van and leave. Never had to pull the pistol in my back pocket.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM

3,046 posts, read 5,243,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
DING...CHIRP call it what you may might be the coming future.

All future cars may have a bell or ringing sound of sort when coming towards you or maybe backing up in a parking lot letting a pedestrian aware of it's movement.

After having knee surgery and under recovery was nudged by a backing car in the parking lot of a large dept store. I was walking past a row of parked cars when a gal started to back up without seeing me and at the same time I did not hear the engine running...so we were both in essence to blame.

Should a bell or whistle of some sort be required on all vehicles that are potential hazards to pedestrians under certain conditions?

Commercial/industrial machinery do have a bell in construction situations that are commonly heard on many occasions...back hoes...dump trucks...fork lifts...you get the picture.

Noise today has had it's problems...where do we draw the line when it comes down to saving lives?...should society be more dilligent and condone noise or be required a hefty $$$ fine for the city coffers?

As for me I would rather have some "CHIRP CHIRP" or "DING DING" warning me of their coming at me or my way.

Any thoughts or experiences?...bound to be some.

Steve

NO NEED FOR DINGERS, BUZZERS OR THAT NONSENSE. WHAT is needed is exhaust loud enough to hear the engine running regardless of make.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:01 AM

21,380 posts, read 24,170,078 times
Quote:
Take a walk where there are multiple trucks. And you can hear chirping everywhere. If you look at the people walking near these trucks, you see that most walk directly behind the truck as if it weren't there.

The same thing happens in most car parking lots. The pedestrian should be more attentive of their surroundings. You should walk in a parking lot expecting every car you pass to start pulling out. Think about the times you've been in the car backing up, how many times have people walked behind your car as you were backing up? And you go what the hell. Didn't a car in motion, or the brake lights or the white reverse light give them a clue?

And I already have a car that beeps in reverse. I also have sensors on the back of my car to tell me if something in its field of vision. Under 5 ft I get tones and lights in my rearview mirror. With all this yes I'm warned but I it still doesnt stop people from just walking behind me as if I werent there.

This technology is not new as its been around for nearly 10 years. But most newer cars don't have this device. Why? Because most pedestrians ignore this sound as much as most people ignore car alarms.

Newer cars have optional backup up video cameras. But there is no standard for them. It should be panaramic and at a certain height but many are not. It comes standard w/GPS on numerous cars in Europe on everyday cars. But for some reason they come as an option only on luxury American cars. Or luxury foriegn cars being shipped to the US.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 AM

4,247 posts, read 10,571,165 times
Walk in the middle and not 1ft from the parked cars. The noise a car makes wasn't the problem. How can a driver be to blame when they don't have the ability to see through cars? One must move to see. Next time walk further away from the parked cars.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 AM

868 posts, read 3,085,889 times
Human nature states that if the annoyance becomes frequent enough, it is to be ignored. Nothing replaces being aware of your surroundings.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,498,845 times
My FJ has the backup sensors which are really helpful.

This is why I usually park way far away from the door, especially at the mall or shopping centers, too many people drive like maniacs in parking lots, or fly out of their spots without looking.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 18,712,673 times
My initial post was made after reading an item over the weekend about future cars (Hybred/Elect) all having a tone of sort so pedestrians would be aware of the cars movement.

Car alarms have gotten a little overboard...especially those that make all kinds of sounds of bells/sirens/horns and the like that we hear every so often to the point that some cities have banned them.

Many of the newer cars are a lot quieter then those of the past. Exhaust noise has been cut down.

Walking in the center of a driveway in a shopping center is a hazard in the making. Cars are looking for a vacant space...or pulling out of one...shoppers are pushing carts loaded with mdse. A not too loud of a DING DING DING while backing up might be in the future works. Many commercial trucks due to size have had them for a long time.

The sound of a "chirp" when locking or unlocking of a car via remote to me is a nusiance. Who gives a D***. Same could be said of those who have the car alarm that goes off when the door is unlocked and the person has to walk to the rear fender in order to enter a key to turn it off. I lived in Mexico City and this woman parked her car across the street and went thru the ritual every day after work...thought she would have learned after the first couple of times but not her.

As for me I'm hearing handicapped a little and some soft sounds are not heard. Many older people are in the same boat...what about children with their parents running to the car. All kinds of things could happen.

Steve

Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 17,745,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
My initial post was made after reading an item over the weekend about future cars (Hybred/Elect) all having a tone of sort so pedestrians would be aware of the cars movement.
I believe the article you're refering to was specifically about quiet hybrid vehicles having alarms so the visually impaired can hear them, IIRC it made no mention of putting an alarm on all cars, nor was it for the benefit of ALL pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive