Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

A little info correction here. Cars were still made as 1942 models with a limited production and a wartime black grill (sans chrome) on some models. The black grill models are still a collectors item (have seen them at Antique car show/swap meet in Calif some yrs back.

The 42 Chev had a body and grill change compared to the todays revered 41 Chev cpe. The grill was carried down to the first 46 models with a mild body/moulding change...almost a identical car to the 42. I remember when they first came on the mkt.

In 46 my dad had put a $100 deposit on a future 47 model... 1 yr and 1 day later the dealer called to say dads car was in and if he still wanted it to come and pick it up or they would sell to the next person on their list of buyers. It was a Fleetline model with a Vacuum gearshift on the steering column that made a slight hissing sound when shifting. Strange how some things you never forget from the past. The grill was carried over to the 48 model with a added T Bar in the middle. That was the identifying mark between the 47 and 48.

As to the pre war cars lasting untill the 50's...yes they did well as I had a 40 Ford 2DR when I got married in 1954. Had to sell my 49 Cad Vert after college and then buy the Ford. Wish I had them both back today. Marriage takes money with a new house the next year.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A little info correction here. Cars were still made as 1942 models with a limited production and a wartime black grill (sans chrome) on some models. The black grill models are still a collectors item (have seen them at Antique car show/swap meet in Calif some yrs back.

The 42 Chev had a body and grill change compared to the todays revered 41 Chev cpe. The grill was carried down to the first 46 models with a mild body/moulding change...almost a identical car to the 42. I remember when they first came on the mkt.

In 46 my dad had put a $100 deposit on a future 47 model... 1 yr and 1 day later the dealer called to say dads car was in and if he still wanted it to come and pick it up or they would sell to the next person on their list of buyers. It was a Fleetline model with a Vacuum gearshift on the steering column that made a slight hissing sound when shifting. Strange how some things you never forget from the past. The grill was carried over to the 48 model with a added T Bar in the middle. That was the identifying mark between the 47 and 48.

As to the pre war cars lasting untill the 50's...yes they did well as I had a 40 Ford 2DR when I got married in 1954. Had to sell my 49 Cad Vert after college and then buy the Ford. Wish I had them both back today. Marriage takes money with a new house the next year.
They were 42 models , but were built in 1941. Some cars and trucks were still built during the war, for special purpose. We had a 48 Chev we drove out west on vacation no problems , four guys still in high school, having a ball for the summer. That old Chev 6 was designed in the 30s and changed little thru 54. We used our 54 Belair in place of a p/u truck by removing the rear seating....In 1941 to 45 It was all for the war effort. An amazing time in our history. Talk about " get er done"...they did....

Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I think it's a little harsh and plain out wrong to say that if you want a 100k machine, you're insecure or a show-off. Sometimes that is just what you have to pay to get what you want. I sure as hell would not have paid as much if I could have gotten what I wanted for less.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:02 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
There is nothing "insecure" or "showing off" about owning an expensive car. Most people work hard for their money, and owning a piece of automotive excellence is a reward for that.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
There is nothing "insecure" or "showing off" about owning an expensive car. Most people work hard for their money, and owning a piece of automotive excellence is a reward for that.
Agreed. 99% of the time the people who complain that $100k+ cars are too "ostentatious" and are a tasteless way of "flaunting wealth". What they are really trying to say is: "I'm jealous and can't afford it, so I'm going to make a futile attempt to make you feel bad for being successful."

I'd definitely recommend waiting until you can buy a car in cash, I never finance anything. It's so much more satisfying to know that you fully own the car, not the bank. People saying that it's "stupid" to spend $100K on a car need to realize that they are the ones who are challenged and ignorant. I know two Lamborghini owners who have $100K+ cars, and for both of them the car probably amounts to less than 5% of their net worth.

Is it better to save and invest 99% of your money and not have any fun, or invest 95% of your money and spend 5% on depreciating assets like cars and have a great time in your life?

A handful of people are fortunate enough to have that choice, and calling them stupid for writing a check for a $250K car just reeks of jealousy and ignorance.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Agreed. 99% of the time the people who complain that $100k+ cars are too "ostentatious" and are a tasteless way of "flaunting wealth". What they are really trying to say is: "I'm jealous and can't afford it, so I'm going to make a futile attempt to make you feel bad for being successful."

I'd definitely recommend waiting until you can buy a car in cash, I never finance anything. It's so much more satisfying to know that you fully own the car, not the bank. People saying that it's "stupid" to spend $100K on a car need to realize that they are the ones who are challenged and ignorant. I know two Lamborghini owners who have $100K+ cars, and for both of them the car probably amounts to less than 5% of their net worth.

Is it better to save and invest 99% of your money and not have any fun, or invest 95% of your money and spend 5% on depreciating assets like cars and have a great time in your life?

A handful of people are fortunate enough to have that choice, and calling them stupid for writing a check for a $250K car just reeks of jealousy and ignorance.
I wouldn't necessarily generalize quite so broadly. I think there are plenty of folks who very well can afford an expensive vehicle yet find better places to invest their money. Not everyone is into cars like posters on this forum, many view it simply as an appliance and anything more luxurious than say...a Toyota Avalon is too ostentatious. We all have our hobbies and spend our disposable income on those that we enjoy.

Buying an expensive car is no different than someone buying a Rolex or vintage bottle of wine. Are you really getting more value for your dollar by paying $5K+ for a watch whereas a $20 Timex will do the same task? Is that $2K bottle of wine THAT much better than the $12 bottle as the liquor store?

I frankly don't care what anyone spends their money on, I don't care for others to tell me that I shouldn't buy something because I can get a different product for a lesser amount. There is a difference in someone buying a $100K+ vehicles because they appreciate the engineering, capability, and craftsmanship versus a person who is simply buying it because they can say they own a "_________". I have more respect for someone who can appreciate the sound, design, and history of a Ferrari rather than the guy who can afford one and wants to be seen in it.

There aren't many vehicles I feel are worth a $100K+ pricetag in my book. I'll take my F-150 over any Mercedes S-Class.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 AM

[quote=SpeedyAZ;15087509]I wouldn't necessarily generalize quite so broadly. I think there are plenty of folks who very well can afford an expensive vehicle yet find better places to invest their money. Not everyone is into cars like posters on this forum, many view it simply as an appliance and anything more luxurious than say...a Toyota Avalon is too ostentatious. We all have our hobbies and spend our disposable income on those that we enjoy.

Buying an expensive car is no different than someone buying a Rolex or vintage bottle of wine. Are you really getting more value for your dollar by paying $5K+ for a watch whereas a $20 Timex will do the same task? Is that $2K bottle of wine THAT much better than the $12 bottle as the liquor store?

I frankly don't care what anyone spends their money on, I don't care for others to tell me that I shouldn't buy something because I can get a different product for a lesser amount. There is a difference in someone buying a $100K+ vehicles because they appreciate the engineering, capability, and craftsmanship versus a person who is simply buying it because they can say they own a "_________". I have more respect for someone who can appreciate the sound, design, and history of a Ferrari rather than the guy who can afford one and wants to be seen in it.

There aren't many vehicles I feel are worth a $100K+ pricetag in my book. I'll take my F-150 over any Mercedes S-Class.[/QUOTE Aw, ok but I will take a Unamog over a Ford 150, anyday,,,,,,

Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I wouldn't necessarily generalize quite so broadly. I think there are plenty of folks who very well can afford an expensive vehicle yet find better places to invest their money. Not everyone is into cars like posters on this forum, many view it simply as an appliance and anything more luxurious than say...a Toyota Avalon is too ostentatious. We all have our hobbies and spend our disposable income on those that we enjoy.

There aren't many vehicles I feel are worth a $100K+ pricetag in my book. I'll take my F-150 over any Mercedes S-Class.

All great and well made points. I'd have to agree with each of them.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 AM

Those of us who eat and sleep automobiles , are considered " car Guy's"... There always was a difference . Easy to tell, the guy/ gal who will sit and discuss for hours their rides over the years, while others quickly change the subject to golf games and football scores.
And, it don't matter what you drive, whether its a 250,000 $ RR or a Honda Civic, with one huge exhaust pipe. More likely than not though its the dreamers that are the car guys, and the Bentley boys are not...unless they drive a Speed 6.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
so how do people who purchase cars in the 100k range pay for them? out of pocket 1,700 bucks a month?

i put 5k down on my last car to lower the monthly payment, but that would hardly put a dent in a 100k car...

i'm 24, and i wanna own some of these mobile wonders one day.
I bought a 76k car (sticker) for 61k new 2 years ago. While it isn't quite what you are talking about here are my personal experiences.

1) Sales Tax. Don't forget to tack on a big chunk for that unless you can get around it.

2) Maintenance. A set of 4 tires and alignment and tax runs close to 2k and the tires last about 15k miles. My insurance isn't that bad but my state also has personal auto property tax so thats another 1300 or so a year for those two so basically be prepared to shell out for those things.

3) The unexpected. Ran over a bolt...spiked rim and destroyed tire as well....1400.

It's a huge expense but it's something I truly enjoy. My advice is if you cannot pay cash for something like that....do not buy it. Once you get older and realize how much you have to work to accumulate that you can revisit how you feel. There is no point to having stuff and then not be able to enjoy it because you aren't sure you can afford your mortgage that month.

I drove VERY inexpensive cars for 10 years each prior to splurging.

4) Get a job that pays REALLY well for your cost of living area.

5) Buy used or get a killer deal on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive