Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times

Advertisements

so how do people who purchase cars in the 100k range pay for them? out of pocket 1,700 bucks a month?

i put 5k down on my last car to lower the monthly payment, but that would hardly put a dent in a 100k car...

i'm 24, and i wanna own some of these mobile wonders one day.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM

512 posts, read 1,434,361 times
i'd say if you're smart and really want to own a 100k car, you should save up and buy a two or three year old one and pay in cash. that's what i would do.
it's not as hard as you might think........if you're determined and really want to make it happen.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
What make/model are you considering?

I think most people who buy cars pay cash. If you can afford to spend $100,000 on a car, money is clearly not an issue for you. Besides, most places that sell those types of cars probably only offer the most exclusive financing options.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
so how do people who purchase cars in the 100k range pay for them? out of pocket 1,700 bucks a month?

i put 5k down on my last car to lower the monthly payment, but that would hardly put a dent in a 100k car...

i'm 24, and i wanna own some of these mobile wonders one day.
Realistically? They get loans and/or lease them. I bet you'd be surprised how many luxury car "owners" are actually "leasors" and "debtors"

Now supercars over 100K are the purvey of the ultra-rich, who probably cash them out.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
what is considered ultra rich? a million in liquid assets? FDIC banks only insure up to 100k in one bank account.

stocks fluctuate and would someone actually sell 100k in stock for a car they wanted.

the basic american dream is a 300k house and 2 cars in the driveway,

1 grand a month in car payments? does anyone find that normal with a 100k yearly income?

(sorry kinda turned this into a finances question)

i had a neighbor growing up who saved up 30,000 for a well equipped lexus in the 90's. my older brother was astonished when he heard that.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 07-16-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
It's OK to turn it into a finances question, because that's what buying a new car is all about these days anyways! You don't need money to buy a car, you just need credit. Then it's on you to budget for your payment along with all your other expenses. Unfortunately, too many people don't consider the full cost. This partially explains our current economic plight. A credit-based society can only last for so long, as we've learned.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Depends a lot on what you are buying. Collector cars can be financed quite easily. The have value that does not go down like daily iron. There are specialty lenders that follow the markets, auctions, and will lend accordingly, depending on your credit. Sometimes you will need to put up another car as collateral to make some loans work....Give it some time, you will get there, it just takes age, income, and determination. Start small, buy your first car with cash, pick the right one, that will grow in value, and go from there. I started out that way, many of us do, eventually I got that 100,000 car and then another one, then sold one, on and on. You do not have to be rich to make it work, you just need determination, and the love for Historic, collectible cars. Doing a lot of your own restoration helps also, at lest when starting out..... It was a fun ride, lots of touring, car events, social involvements, and , in the end , if you buy smart, it can finance your retirement. Thats what I did.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
On the one hand, I think you'd have to be nuts to pay $1,000 a month for a car on an income of $100,000 a year. That's 12% of your annual gross income.

I can't imagine that people buying cars at that price point have incomes that low--try adding a zero or two on and you may be in the ballpark.

In general I think it would be nuts to spend that much for a car even if you had the money. I literally cannot imagine any combination of utility and pleasure that a car could provide that would make it worth that much.

On the other hand, a friend of mine whose father drove Rolls-Royces tells me that his father used to say that a Rolls is the cheapest car in the world to own, because when you're driving it you can sell it for what you paid for it. Probably not true if you bought it new, but otherwise it might be.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM

97 posts, read 348,844 times
I would pay cash. If you have it. I've never liked payments. I feel like I "owe" something. I'd rather pay upfront and cash and not have monthly payments.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
The vast majority of $100k cars that people buy new are leases with balloon payments and the majority of those are owned by their business, not them personally. Certainly some are owned outright and purchased by their owner, but in general cars are a horrible waste of money.

When I worked as the asset manager of a large private company, I procured the cars for the family and executives. The executive cars were all BMW 5-series and all were leased by the company with a structured balloon payment, it kept the monthly cost low. The family cars were as follows: Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Mercedes S600V, Audi A8L W12, BMW M5, Maserati Quatroporte, BMW 7-series and an Aston Martin DB9. Those were the top end cars and their kids were various ages and had everything from Mustangs and Trans Ams to Yukon Denali's. The wives generally had a collection of Range Rovers or lower end Mercedes. All of the top end cars (including the wives cars) with the exception of the DB9 were leases. All of the lesser cars were bought outright in cash, depreciated on a 4 year schedule and sold.

This is simply the way it's done. Car's that are unique or ultra high end like a Ferrari, or the DB9 above are generally bought and paid in cash, or with structured financing. Leasing with a balloon is the cheapest method for buying these types of cars, but can be difficult unless you have substantial assets given the balloon's involved. Even for the wealthy, it can be difficult to finance a $200k+ car.

There are actually many companies who specialize in these types of programs. One I know of in this area is Fleetway Leasing and they're direct specialty is leasing high end cars to people with a lot of cash and crappy credit (which is more common than you would think).

The best way for a layman to get a car like that is to buy it used, so the $100k car is now only a $60k dollar car. Outside of that, leasing is probably the best way to go, but you need to show decent cash reserves to cover the balloon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive