Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
I have to sit outside for several hours tomorrow. I am not going to be near an air-conditioned place, other than my car. Can I just sit in my car for a bit and run my engine and AC while I am parked to cool down, or could that harm the engine or AC in any way? I realize that I will be using gasoline. But I am more worried about heatstroke, which I have had before. Thanks.
If everything is working properly on your car it should not be any kind of problem - other than sucking some gas.

Just be sure you watch your temperature gauge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
For the past 10 years at work I have taken an hour nap in my car with the A/C running 4 out 12 months per year. No damage that I can see.

Today was 93 degrees in NJ and took a nice nap in my car being cooled by the A/C.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Not being nosey (well, guess I am, LOL), but what are you doing... manually controlling traffic lights for heavy unusual traffic?

I am wondering because here in Bristol when the races are here, they have people that have to set in their cars and manually control the traffic lights for better flowing traffic. They somehow have a remote or something they can change the traffic lights with.

Quote:
My car is a 1999 Honda Accord EX. I guess I will find out if the cooling system is up to par. And yes, I do have to sit there outside for a while. I'll keep my eye on the temperature gauge. I won't be doing it much anyway--only if I get overheated. I begin at 7:00 a.m. so the problem won't hit me probably till much later. Thanks again. I am so grateful that I have access to city-data. I don't know how I managed before .

Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
A trick I saw our local canine cops do is to leave the engine running with the ac on and to open the hood to allow excess heat to escape so the engine will not overheat.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
A trick I saw our local canine cops do is to leave the engine running with the ac on and to open the hood to allow excess heat to escape so the engine will not overheat.
Some NYC cab drivers will do the same thing, but it depends upon the car as some don't pop up anymore, what with the different cabs allowed by the TLC.

I will run the car with A/C in summer, especially if one person is running into the store, and have never had an issue with any car. And, if there's an animal in the car, I wouldn't ever considering turning off the car in summer, even with the windows open, since they get too hot. Multiple shops, etc., can easily, and have, added up to a couple of hours at a time, and the only problem I have had is the car being too cold compared to the outside temperature -- but that's welcome in high heat.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
you also need to check your voltmeter. running the AC means running the condenser fan (#2 fan on the radiator) as well. my first car over heats sitting in traffic when the AC is not on

Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
I have to sit outside for several hours tomorrow. I am not going to be near an air-conditioned place, other than my car. Can I just sit in my car for a bit and run my engine and AC while I am parked to cool down, or could that harm the engine or AC in any way? I realize that I will be using gasoline. But I am more worried about heatstroke, which I have had before. Thanks.
Ah, yes, a common problem for us stalkers everywhere.

Just kidding. If your car has no problems to begin with, it won't be an issue. I often take naps in my car.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
with a newer car with a modern cooling system you can run the ac for days at an idle. No harm at all
it wont hurt an older car either, again as long as the cooling system is operating properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
this is also a good idea. just remember to make sure the hood is firmly latched when it is time to hit the road. you dont want the hood flying up on you in traffic.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default I will never forget

when my folks rented a 1972 Plymouth Fury III in Myrtle beach, SC in the summer of 72, it was the first car they ever drove with AC and my dad idled the car a bit too long with the AC on and it started to overheat

I always wondered if there was something wrong or that was the norm with those big beasts

Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
when my folks rented a 1972 Plymouth Fury III in Myrtle beach, SC in the summer of 72, it was the first car they ever drove with AC and my dad idled the car a bit too long with the AC on and it started to overheat

I always wondered if there was something wrong or that was the norm with those big beasts
the problem in those days was the cooling systems didnt have enough capacity to handle long idling sessions. most cars left the factory with cooling system capabilities designed to handle places like kansas or nebraska in the summer, not arizona or south carolina. more efficient radiators, better cooling fans, more efficient a/c systems, all help these days. in the old days new car designs were run at proving grounds in michigan for the most part, though ford and gm had proving grounds here in arizona as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive