Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times

Advertisements

According to Consumer Reports:

Honda,Toyota,Subaru

I'd tend to agree with them, Nissan is in that mix too though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
to be honest, Honda's been making some bad missteps very recently. The new Acura TL looks like a mockery of the much better-looking 2004-08 model. The new Insight is what would happen if old GM tried to build a Prius: a penalty box with evident corner-cutting in its execution. And the CR-Z is the opposite of what made past Hondas great: it's miserably boring to drive, and doesn't get that great mpg. I won't even get started on the Crosstour.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
im looking to buy a used vehicle with under 100K miles on it. with a carfax report.

Ive always heard that honda and toyota were the best but i just cant find one with under 100k miles on it in my area. i really dont want to have to put the car in the shop after 3 months of driving it around. i know used cars really depend on their previous upkeep, but give me an idea on brands.
Hyundai for the fact that its a great car at a price, that used, will be impossible to beat.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 13,567 times
1) Toyata
2) Honda
3) Hyunai
Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai. It is hard to find a lightly used Toyota or Honda because people keep them so long, because they are as close to being trouble free as cars get, Hyundais after 2000 are VERY good, and can be had for good prices.

100,000 miles is "just broken in" on a Honda or Toyota. You can expect many carefree miles with one. I would rather have a 100,000 mile used Toyota or Honda than a new Detroit car!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
I have always had very good luck with used Nissan's

Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
According to Consumer Reports:

Honda,Toyota,Subaru

I'd tend to agree with them, Nissan is in that mix too though.
Subarus are excellent cars. I had a 1984 Subaru GL station wagon that was bulletproof. The only reason I don't have a Subaru in my garage now is that I do not want AWD, and ALL Subarus are AWD!

The best vehicle I have ever owned is my 1993 Nissan truck. It has given me 17 years of great service. I would not buy another Nissan, however because their quality has gone from excellent to not that good over the years. The Altima is a very reliable car, but the rest of the Nissan line is not too special.

Consumer Reports is the best source for finding which car best suits you, and which are the most reliable.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
to be honest, Honda's been making some bad missteps very recently. The new Acura TL looks like a mockery of the much better-looking 2004-08 model. The new Insight is what would happen if old GM tried to build a Prius: a penalty box with evident corner-cutting in its execution. And the CR-Z is the opposite of what made past Hondas great: it's miserably boring to drive, and doesn't get that great mpg. I won't even get started on the Crosstour.
I hate to admit it,because Honda is a solid product, but you hit the nail on the head. The TL, wtf, the older model was so good looking. Also gotta agree with you on the Insight, poor man's Prius. Haven't seen the CR-Z, but the Crosstour is atrocious.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I am a fan of OLDER Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, but these days not so much on the newer ones. Quality is obviously not what it was on these cars in the 1980s and 1990s.

IF you are looking for something no older than 3 years old, I would recommend.... Ford, Buick, Hyundai or Kia. At least a mid-size or large model - not the cheap entry-level models of these makes. Quality on all of these makes have sky rocketed over the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
im looking to buy a used vehicle with under 100K miles on it. with a carfax report.

Ive always heard that honda and toyota were the best but i just cant find one with under 100k miles on it in my area. i really dont want to have to put the car in the shop after 3 months of driving it around. i know used cars really depend on their previous upkeep, but give me an idea on brands.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 07-20-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pollard View Post
1) Toyata
2) Honda
3) Hyunai
Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai. It is hard to find a lightly used Toyota or Honda because people keep them so long, because they are as close to being trouble free as cars get, Hyundais after 2000 are VERY good, and can be had for good prices.

100,000 miles is "just broken in" on a Honda or Toyota. You can expect many carefree miles with one. I would rather have a 100,000 mile used Toyota or Honda than a new Detroit car!

100k is not "just broken in". Thats like saying 60 years old are suppose to have mid life crisis's.

Ford and Hyundai are making great steps forward in the last 2-3 years to catch up with Toyota and Honda. Toyota has had their issues this year but they remain good vehicles. Honda seems to have become bored with the new vehicles and kinda taken a step back, IMO. Nissan hasn't done anything new in quite some time and tend to get worse MPG compared to Toyota and Honda.

The main current issue with Ford and Hyundai is resell value. Its really hard to determine since more and more people are paying attention to Hyunadi and people aren't use to Ford making decent sedans in a long time.

I'm not going to give a top 3 because mine would be based off personal preference not on overall performance. I do think the days of Japanese car makers completely owning the sedan market are ending very soon due to Ford and Hyundai.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I don't believe "recent" quality reports that prop up any american car. Don't fall for this scam. Stick with Lexus or Toyota or Honda. They are hard to find for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive