U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times

Advertisements

That's my question - I am looking at probably either Michelin Harmony (non-directional tread) or HydroEdge (directional) for the wife's Subaru Legacy (92 model, automatic, if either one matters)

Typically one rotates tires on AWD in an "X" pattern, but if we go with the HydroEdge, I'd have to keep the tires on the same side of the car that they start out on (or else dismount from the wheels, if I really have to anticipate doing that, even though I can DIY for free, no thanks, I'll go with the Harmony). The Subie does not have a history of wearing tires in abnormal patterns, alignment is good, shocks are OK.

Judging from Tire Rack's surveys and tests, the HydroEdge is a better tire in almost all ways than the Harmony, it costs a bit more but since these are "Green-X" low rolling resistance they should save enough on gas to easily pay the differential cost. The Harmony is better, slightly, in deep snow, but we really seldom get deep snow here. The vast majority of our driving is on dry roads, next most likely is a wet road but such light rain that there is little chance of hydroplaning.

Anyone have experience using a directional tread tire on AWD? And/or thoughts in general on these 2 tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,420,692 times
I put some General Evertrek HP's on my Magnum R/T AWD back in April. I LOVE them! I have put over 5k miles on them. I just rotate them front and back, not worth my time unmounting them to put them on the other side.

They did great in 6" of snow for a few weeks and handle lots of water with no issues. They are the same as the General Altimax HP, which has excellent reviews on TR, but sold at Walmart for less (after you consider shipping/installation). I paid $120/e for 225/60/18. Should be much cheaper on the Scoobie.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,994,630 times
I know plenty who have directionals on AWD's, they simply leave it in it's place, aka don't rotate them.

I do the same with my FWD, and it works fine, I just replace two tires at the time, I don't experience any abnormal wear at all.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times
Thanks and reps to you guys for your first-hand experiences!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Thanks and reps to you guys for your first-hand experiences!
Honestly, to a point in even helps you find alignment problems. MY best friends Volvo V50 is eating front tires, and while that apparently is normal on these cars, the "munching" pattern was so off, that he actually got an alignment on warranty... which is unheard of here. (An alignment costs about $300)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM

3,305 posts, read 9,521,548 times
Rotation issues with directional tires is certainly a valid concern. Even perfectly aligned I still couldn't bring myself to just do a front back rotation. I would speculate that road crown would eventually take it's toll. As you said very impractical to dismount the tires every other rotation. On all my vehicles (RWD and 4x4) I prefer the rearward cross. That way they all get rotated and I don't have to keep track of which tire has been what position.

You have to think, will the savings from reduced rolling resistance justify the additional time and money involved in doing dismount rotations?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,420,692 times
Not worth it, especially if you are replacing the tires every 2-3 years like myself who drives 20k+/year. I would save the money by buying the Generals over the Michelins instead.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 PM

747 posts, read 2,280,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Anyone have experience using a directional tread tire on AWD? And/or thoughts in general on these 2 tires?
My 2 thoughts (cents):

Didn't Subaru do away with recommending tire rotation on its AWD (all) models? IIRC, BMW did.

Every time I have researched tires, I've found Michelin to be a poor value. There is always something equal, better or 90% as good for 1/2 to 1/3 the money.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 PM

21,355 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Actually heres another tire to look at. I use them on my AWD's and they handled deep snow and slick roads very well.

General Grabber HTS

General Grabber HTS White Letters&partnum=27TR5GRHTSOWL&tab=Sizes

Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 AM

28,240 posts, read 39,884,966 times
I can't speak for using them on AWD, but I drove a Maxima for a number of years with HydroEdge and they were great. We get a lot of snow (a LOT of snow) and they just plowed right through it.

Noisy, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive