Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
AHHH HA! Glad you started this thread. I test drove a VW Jetta yesterday and the car did exactly what you described. I mentioned to the sales guy and he told me that cars will make that sound when they sit on a lot for a few days without being driven. Whatever. I didn't believe him.
Yeah, good thing you aren't a pushover...I would not have trusted him either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
falling, The test for that is to see if the thuds go away shortly with a drive. Tires can and do take a set and so create a flat spot parked sometimes, but this is more common with bias ply tires than radial. If it is the tires they will drive out of it.

In M's case he felt the thuds only braking, which has to be rotor problems.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
falling, The test for that is to see if the thuds go away shortly with a drive. Tires can and do take a set and so create a flat spot parked sometimes, but this is more common with bias ply tires than radial. If it is the tires they will drive out of it.

In M's case he felt the thuds only braking, which has to be rotor problems.
The car only made the thud noise when braking. When I got home I looked up the reviews on that particular car and many people complained of having issues with back rotors. We ended up buying a different car.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The car only made the thud noise when braking. When I got home I looked up the reviews on that particular car and many people complained of having issues with back rotors. We ended up buying a different car.

Bad rotors. Tires will take a set, at times long term parked for most radials to do so less time for bias plys, but when there is none at all till braking it has to be warped rotors. Many heatings and coolings cause that, or a long and heavy use, of say going down a mt road in a high gear causing all the slowing to be done by brakes.

Wear and tear of many heatings in time will warp rotors too. Other problems are man made errors installing. That is usually leaving crud behind them in the hub where the wheel studs are mounted. If the hub isn't cleaned and the ring of scale rust isn't removed the rotor can be bolted on cockeyed.

Not flushing brake systems is yet another cause. Owner related this time. Each 2 years or so all brake systems should be flushed and refilled with new BF. If not the calipers tend to bind and will become stiffer and stiffer untill they seize. The brakes appear to work ok, but don't retract as well as they should. About the time you see blue rotors the rotor temps have run up a temp of around 600 degrees F, and that is plenty of heat to smell brakes well over heated. Rotors are not a tool steel, but just the same that heat will warp a rotor and right at the points of the pads if the vehical is stopped and the rotors cool.

The reason for that is the pad act as insulation and the retained heat behind them won't allow the that limited part to cool at the same rate the rest of the rotot cools at. Warp Time.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Quote:
AHHH HA! Glad you started this thread. I test drove a VW Jetta yesterday and the car did exactly what you described. I mentioned to the sales guy and he told me that cars will make that sound when they sit on a lot for a few days without being driven. Whatever. I didn't believe him.
Falling Water...today I remembered when I bought a year old used car from Avis...when my brother came to visit, he noticed a thud-thud-thud...which turned out to be the tires...because they hadn't been rotated. I bought a new set of tires. Fixed the problem.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Constant thudding all the time.. bad tires, from one of several causes.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Think you should take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive