U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM

382 posts, read 62,849 times
Default Truck will turn over but won't crank

Wife has been having problems past few weeks with it being hard to crank in the morning and again when she leaves work but it always cranked up. Yesterday morning I go out to crank it up for her and it just won't crank. It fired a few times then and later in the day when I tried again but it refuses to fire up. I replaced the fuel filter about a month ago and if it is firing I assume it isn't the fuel pump. I checked the little boot that runs from the distributor cap to the spark plugs and its got fire going to it so someone please help me out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM

6,537 posts, read 14,579,195 times
Truck needs fuel and spark to run. The fuel filter may be the problem since it was the last item repaired, often new parts are faulty or installed wrong. Just because the truck turns the motor does not mean fuel pump is working or spark is reaching plugs.

You have to go thru step by step and eliminate the possibilities.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Ah. What would you suggest doing first? It is hard to get to the spark plugs etc because they are underneath something and in the back of the engine.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM

119 posts, read 247,627 times
check to see if fuel is being pumped into the fuel filter, then check if it is pumping out- that should eliminate potential fuel filter issues
it does sound like a fuel pump/fuel line problem, as though fuel is not getting into the cylinders to be fired
or
does the truck have a carb or injectors?
usually something like this is a simple fix (thought not necessarily simple to find)

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM

26 posts, read 41,605 times
Smile Coil bad?

When my Jeep would crank but not start it was the coil. (second bad one in 18 months).

Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugnot View Post
check to see if fuel is being pumped into the fuel filter, then check if it is pumping out- that should eliminate potential fuel filter issues
it does sound like a fuel pump/fuel line problem, as though fuel is not getting into the cylinders to be fired
or
does the truck have a carb or injectors?
usually something like this is a simple fix (thought not necessarily simple to find)
How do I check that? It is Injectors. A guy at the auto parts store said to check the injectors as they may be bad or need cleaned.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM

6,345 posts, read 7,059,872 times
You say it turns over but won't crank. Do yo mean it turns over but won't start? What kind of truck is it?

You did say it was fuel injected so fuel pressure is critical. The pump may be working but still not have enough pressure to start and run the engine and the only way to determine fuel pressure is with a gauge. Some engines require 60lbs pressure and won't start on 55lbs so knowing your correct pressure is important.

An engine needs four things to run. Fuel, spark, compression and timing. You may have a problem with any one of these.

Do you know a of a good independent shop you can trust? It may be better to have it towed in and repaired rather than guessing what the problem may be and throwing a bunch of parts at it and hoping something works.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,067,678 times
Crank is the start more failing to turn the engine. You truck does crank, but refuses to start.

3 conditions must be met for any internal combustion engine to start.

1 it much have with in reason compression. No comp, no start no matter what.

2 it must have spark, no spark and fuel won't matter.

3 it must have fuel

This is the order.

All sorts of things can lead to other places, and it would help if the Year Make and Model were stated. We know this burn gas since it has a distributor cap and spark plugs, but that's all we know.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Its a 98 yukon. I am trying to convince my father to help me tow it into town and let the shop look at it but dunno if he will or not. I am tired of trying to figure it out I just hope its not anything expensive.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,067,678 times
I am not a GM guy, but I think that has a carb like injection system, and if someone turned the key you might see fuel with the air filter cover off. You would have to look down in the injection body a carb like thing in this case, and i could be very wrong. For all I know by this date GM went to some other kind of injection system.

What engine is this? I am guessing a bigger V-8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive