U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM

426 posts, read 793,978 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I am going to try and get it up there and see what they say. If it is'nt too much,I will have the lines repaired, if that is what it is.
My question is, will they know if it is the trans gone, in the process of fixing the lines, or is it going to be that I have to fix that first in order to know if it is the trans that is also gone.
I don;t want to fix the trans itself, the truck is not worth it and I do not have that much cash.
I appreciate your responses.
Oh and that line repair is that an expensive time consuming job? I would like to go up there at least acting like I know what is involvee> thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM

8,829 posts, read 23,291,314 times
Fixing the lines should not be that tough, should not cost that much, but it's not possible to know if you ruined the trans by "limping" it home until the cooler lines (assuming that's what it is) are repaired and the fluid refilled to normal level.

Just because a car or truck will still move under it's own power does not mean it's a good idea to keep it moving. Frequently the person who stops and calls for a tow soonest spends the least for repair.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 AM

I had no idea what was going on when that happened. I was kind of in a panic. There really wer'nt alot of places to turn. around. It was a two lane road, with traffic flying by. I was afraid to turn for fear, it would die right there and I'd be hit by oncoming speeding cars.I should have pulled over.I also forgot my cell phone. I never do that, but did that day.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Default trans

well the hose did come off. I had my boyfriend put it back on. Have not refilled the fluid yet, but I guess once we get it in will see if the trans is gone.I hit a bunch of pot holes the day before this thing busted. Is it possible that it could have knocked it off from the bumps?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 PM

5,145 posts, read 6,366,471 times
It's possible, I guess.

While I'm completely unfamiliar with that specific vehicle, or the way that the transmission cooler line is mounted to the transmission, it seems as if no bump should cause it to dislodge without there first existing some other problem. I have seen all metal cooler lines fail because the engine/transmission mounts were broken, allowing the engine excessive movement over bumps, and and eventually fatiguing the cooler lines. It's just a thought, not saying that is the problem. I wouldn't plan on reattaching the hose to be a permanent fix. It definitely needs more investigation.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM

8,829 posts, read 23,291,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
well the hose did come off. I had my boyfriend put it back on. Have not refilled the fluid yet, but I guess once we get it in will see if the trans is gone.I hit a bunch of pot holes the day before this thing busted. Is it possible that it could have knocked it off from the bumps?
Be careful to get the correct trans fluid - IIRC Chrysler uses a specific fluid, and if you don't use it, the trans may give trouble from the wrong fluid.

Also be very careful not to overfill. You are probably several quarts low, but get the truck reasonably level, get a funnel of some sort, start the engine, add about a half pint at a time. You can *probably* dump the first quart right in whole, but after that since you don't know how much is in there, be cautious, over-filling can cause damage to at least some automatics.

A way around not knowing how much fluid is in the trans would be to drain the remaining fluid, and refill with whatever the manual says - but here again, be cautious not to overfill.

Good luck, hopefully you didn't trash your tranny.

But there is no way to know until you get the fluid back up to spec.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,907,351 times
If you can wait a week, get AAA and they'll tow it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive