U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 AM

209 posts, read 498,353 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i was wondering what you all thought about this car i bought. It is a 2007 328I BMW and we got it used with 25000 miles on it. In one years time, it has been back to the dealer 13 times. The problems were these:
1. Differential yoke had to be replaced two times.
2. Cigarette lighters stopped working
3. Hood would not latch, car had to be drove with hood open.
4. Door handle fell off
5. Shifter knob fell off
6. Valve train had to be replaced, sounded like motor was coming apart.
7. Accordian moulding on sunroof fell off, could not close sunroof.
8. Moulding on rear window came off, water in trunk
9. Cup holders had to be replaced
10. Valve cover gasket leaking
11. Gas cap would not come off to PUT GAS IN IT. Had to replace fuel cap and neck.
12. Complained of brake issue, binding and growl(no problem found)
The thing that really pisses me off is each time the car has been there, they do a visual inspection of tires brakes etc... They have checked it 13 different times, never telling us they need replacing. The last time the car was at the Dealer was 2 weeks ago. Well, yesterday the DAMN BRAKE PAD LOW LIGHT CAME ON!! What am i to do??? I dont feel save driving this car anymore, especialy that it is my wifes car, and she takes it every morning with my son in it.

Last edited by allisonguru; 08-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: added
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 AM

9,285 posts, read 12,913,467 times
ws it leased car before you bought it?
that sucks it soulds like that car as has a rough 25,000 miles
alot of young guys get these cars on 3 year lease and beat the doo-doo out of them and never take it in for a oil chage or any of it's required maintanice.
did you get a BMW dealer warranty when you bought the car?
did you get the carfax to see if it was in ant seious accidents or floods?
here a few site that may help and have better awnsers
http://www.carlemon.com/lemonstat.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=189

Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM

2,236 posts, read 4,091,335 times
Did you get a lemon? No. Did you get a BMW? Yes.

In my experience the problems you are experiencing are relatively normal for a BMW albeit you are just experiencing them prematurely. I'd have to agree with the previous post the most likely the previous owner didn't take the best of care for it.
The brake issues you are complaining of are most likely (hard to diagnose without seeing in person) normal for the car but not normal to you if this is your first BMW. BMW's have really good brakes. The problem with really good brakes are noise, dust, and short life.
IMO, German cars are nothing more than over-engineered junk.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,440,958 times
Ouch!

1. Differential yoke had to be replaced two times. Dealers fault
2. Cigarette lighters stopped working, They burn out and or get frigged up wiring (normal)
3. Hood would not latch, car had to be drove with hood open. (Bad dealer maint. should have been lubed more.
4. Door handle fell off (It can happen to anything)
5. Shifter knob fell off (someone unscrewed it)
6. Valve train had to be replaced, sounded like motor was coming apart. Needed more than one oil change before you bought it, Rare occurance and caused by lack of oil or no oil psi.)

7. Accordian moulding on sunroof fell off, could not close sunroof. (silly stuff not supposed to be in cars, Sun roofs suck.)

8. Moulding on rear window came off, water in trunk (It happens)
9. Cup holders had to be replaced (more silly crap that should not be in cars)
10. Valve cover gasket leaking (common and you could have fixed it yourself easy}
11. Gas cap would not come off to PUT GAS IN IT. Had to replace fuel cap and neck. (Beats me)
12. Complained of brake issue, binding and growl(no problem found)
(The system needs a total fluid flush, the fluid is old and dead, contaminated with rubber from the seals and probably contains water from thin air. The calipers are seizing due to contamination)

That dealer shouldn't be a dealer in the first place. It appears they have no idea about this car. Are they a real BMW dealer? Or are they a used car lot that works on anything that comes thru the door?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 PM

12,867 posts, read 8,303,342 times
You bought someone's elses lemon. Sell it and make it another person's lemon. And don't buy another used low milage BMW.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,879,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Did you get a lemon? No. Did you get a BMW? Yes.

In my experience the problems you are experiencing are relatively normal for a BMW albeit you are just experiencing them prematurely. I'd have to agree with the previous post the most likely the previous owner didn't take the best of care for it.
The brake issues you are complaining of are most likely (hard to diagnose without seeing in person) normal for the car but not normal to you if this is your first BMW. BMW's have really good brakes. The problem with really good brakes are noise, dust, and short life.
IMO, German cars are nothing more than over-engineered junk.
This is not normal for any 3 year old car. Was it an R-title?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,729,827 times
Sounds about right for a BMW. When are people going to stop buying German trash?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 PM

5,186 posts, read 6,723,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Sounds about right for a BMW. When are people going to stop buying German trash?
That's utter crap. This isn't normal for anything other than old British cars.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM

209 posts, read 498,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
This is not normal for any 3 year old car. Was it an R-title?
Not sure what R-title is, assuming you meant salvaged title? No, it was a used 07 with 25000 miles on it. It is a legitiment BMW dealer here in So. California. I WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy another BMW. I have contacted a Lemon Law Lawyer.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM

12,867 posts, read 8,303,342 times
Lemon Law for a used car? Not sure there is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive