Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,547,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Zaino is good, but very expensive. Try off the counter Maguirers NXT 2.0. You won't be sorry. Its every bit as good as Zaino at 1/4 the price.
I have used the first gen. and second gen. (2.0). I still use the 2.0 on my wife's car. It is good. It applies easy and extremely easy to remove as long as it's not over-applied which is the biggest problem people encounter with any protection. However, I feel like it does not last. I know you can't judge a protectant by it's beading characteristics but I know with the tech wax after a month it's almost gone. Zaino provides the protection that lasts especially if you use their Z6 once every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,758,508 times
A wax is a sealant. Obviously the treatment was a dealership add-on tactic much like the rust proofing, glass etching, and sound deadening things they try to add on at the closure.

For waxes there is an entire cult over Zaino I think. I never used it so who knows if the protection is worth the price. Probably not. Stick to a reputable brand like Maguires.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,778,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I have used the first gen. and second gen. (2.0). I still use the 2.0 on my wife's car. It is good. It applies easy and extremely easy to remove as long as it's not over-applied which is the biggest problem people encounter with any protection. However, I feel like it does not last. I know you can't judge a protectant by it's beading characteristics but I know with the tech wax after a month it's almost gone. Zaino provides the protection that lasts especially if you use their Z6 once every month.

I found that to the contrary. I went and bought Zainos $60 kit and applied it. Many coats and much work. Worked great. Loved it. Then on a recommendation of other car show people I tried the 2.0 and was amazed in how easy it applied and expected it not to last. I was wrong. Lasted as long as Zaino. 1/4 the price and 1/4 the work to put on. I use the 2.0 on my show car so I know its good.. Don't get caught up in the whole zaino thing.. Its over priced and the 'vette type' guys use it and swear its the best thing since sliced bread to justify the cost of it. read this..

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...atch-x-ntx-20/

and

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28621

and..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...zaino-wow.html

Last edited by frankgn87; 09-21-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,547,781 times
^Like I said, I use and have been using Meguiar's tech wax since it's introduction on my wife's car. I use Zaino on my show truck. I will admit I was disappointed at first until I got the hang of using it. But I decided to give it a 2nd and 3rd try since I did have so much invested before I started to see the amazing results. The tech wax doesn't give the "pop" that I get from Zaino. Trust me, I'm not one of those guys that falls victim to message board bling and car show rabble. If I were I'd also swear by AmsOil.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 18,813 times
Default Warranty

Because, when you purchase this product, it is really not the product you are mostly paying for. It is the warranty that Simoniz offers which is 7 years and has a zero dollar deductible. Much like health insurance or home owners insurance, it is there for piece of mind for the most part. It is not the dealership that is charging that retail, except for the labor cost. It is the the actual company providing the warranty which you get official paperwork and contracts for. Research it before you blast it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My wife took the new Ford Fusion in today to get it detailed for free because the service department was closed Friday evening when we made the deal. Anyway, they gave her a loaner vehicle, and 08 Escape that smelled like urine and cigarette smoke and told her it would be a couple of hours. Anyway, they called her on the phone and said it will be more like 5 hours because they were backed up. So we go and pick it up at 3:30 and one of the managers, Al, comes out and says he was sorry it took so long and is there something he can do to make it up to us? I was going to say it was ok, but since he was offering...he offered us the Simoniz interior/exterior treatment for free, that they were trying to sell me for $800 a couple of days ago. I told him ok and thanks. If they can give an $800 service/product away for free, that should tell you how much the thing is worth to begin with!!! I feel sorry for anyone who pays the $800.

However, I can't find one positive review or post anywhere about someone actually having the Simoniz. Free or not, is this something I really want/need to have on/in my car? I enjoy waxing and detailing my own vehicles, so should I get this done? Once again, it's completely free.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,496,339 times
Wash with detergent
Clay
Cleaner
Polish
Wax

I've ordered from here, great place

Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies

Zaino is great, I've been to a Zaino instruction and it was very good. Meguiars is good as well, stick to their Ultimate stuff. Nxt is good as well.

I also have used PoorBoys Black for black cars. If you have a black car wash with 2 buckets!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,100,933 times
What is "cleaner"?

Wash, clay, polish, wax.

Wash-gets off all the obvious dirt, previous wax, etc.

Clay bar-gets off the not-so-obvious dirt, rail dust from transporting (new car issue; if left on it can eventually work it's way into the paint and cause rust), minor surface dirt that you might think were actually scratches, etc.

Polish-this may be several steps, as necessary. Smooths the paint, gives it the shine, removes swirl marks.

Wax (sealant)-protects the newly buffed paint.

As for brands, there are many good products. It's a matter of opinion, how much work you want to put in, and how close to a super high end finish you want. And budget, of course.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 19,733 times
I actually stopped using wax a year or so ago because I tried (and got hooked on) sealants. Give the car a good claying even though it's new and apply a coat of this stuff. Let it cure for a good hour and your paint will be slicker than ice. The beading quality is incredible, too. Should last a good six months or so....I have three or four coats on my car right now.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What is "cleaner"?

Wash, clay, polish, wax.

Wash-gets off all the obvious dirt, previous wax, etc.

Clay bar-gets off the not-so-obvious dirt, rail dust from transporting (new car issue; if left on it can eventually work it's way into the paint and cause rust), minor surface dirt that you might think were actually scratches, etc.

Polish-this may be several steps, as necessary. Smooths the paint, gives it the shine, removes swirl marks.

Wax (sealant)-protects the newly buffed paint.

As for brands, there are many good products. It's a matter of opinion, how much work you want to put in, and how close to a super high end finish you want. And budget, of course.
Thats how its done.
attention to correct application of product is everything,rags used must be scrupulously clean,
I use Mothers or Meguires products, their websites give step by step instructions on how to do it right. How bout a pic when its done.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,496,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What is "cleaner"?

Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal® System Paint Cleaner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive