U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,368,768 times

Advertisements

Now that I have decided against the free "magic" Simoniz the Ford dealer was going to do, I need a shopping list for detailing the car myself. Our last vehicle was a van which was too big for me to wax and my work car, well, I wash it maybe once a year. I am rusty on what products I need. I have narrowed my "wax" choices down to Nu Finish or 3M Performance Finish Are those two a good choice? I have read good reviews on both. After that, what kind of wash soap do I need? What supplies? Help please!!!

Oh and I read somewhere that I should clay bar the vehicle even though it's new. Is this a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,094,514 times
Clay bar is awesome! Makes the paint feel all silky smoothe, I need to do this to my car, you will notice the difference when it's all done.
Can't advise you on what wax to use, but generally anything under $10. bucks is junk, get what ya pay for.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,602,369 times
You can't go wrong with any 3M product. They are consistently at the pinnacle of quality. However be prepared to pay for that. Find a good automotive body supply shop and tell them what you are looking to do. They know all the tricks for keeping bodies in prime shape.

For cleaning/detailing supplies I generally go with the Stoner brand product lineup. They offer nearly everything you can think of at a high quality. You can also purchase products in bulk. Everything is available on their website.

Professional products are the way to go. Chain store items are good for average upkeep but considering your new purchase, may as well do it right.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,093,409 times
First go here:

http://www.autopia.org/

then go here:

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,602,369 times
May want to check out Eastwood Co. as well.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM

10,715 posts, read 21,657,404 times
Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing
this is pretty expensive but is some of the best stuff out there
it about 50 bucks for a litte wax kit of wax but man is it good

Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM

3,983 posts, read 7,208,732 times
Good question; like asking what stock should I buy, on a stock board, lol!
Imo, it's a new car, so I would skip the clay bar, unless you are familiar
with using it. The paint and surface can't have much build up on it, yet.

A good wash with Dawn to strip whatever is on there, with sheep wool
mitt, and pick your "wax" of choice.

For me, I'm a Zaino fan for the past decade on all our cars and 4 scoots...
I am used to it, I know how it goes on and should "look", and its "release
ability", allowing subsequent washes to gently get the gunk off, are very
good, imo.

But, pick your poison...I am not convinced someone needs the $200 kit
of the "latest and bestest". For that matter, any decent brand name "kit"
at the AutoZone should do well, too. Avoid car washes, hand wash regularly,
give it a 2nd "wax", within a month of the first, maybe clay it once a year, etc.
Should look good for a long time, especially if you can garage it. My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,368,768 times
Thank you all for the input.

I am confused on one more thing. I keep hearing that all POLISHES have tiny abrasives in it, such as the Nu Finish. Is that something I want to put on a new car?
BTW, the new car is garage kept.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,285,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Thank you all for the input.

I am confused on one more thing. I keep hearing that all POLISHES have tiny abrasives in it, such as the Nu Finish. Is that something I want to put on a new car?
BTW, the new car is garage kept.
You don't need abrasive polishes if you car is brand new. Just apply a wax/sealant and you're good to go! However, some dealers treat their new cars like cr*p when they're sitting on their lots or at the dock. I've seen Porsches and Audi's that were dusty & spotted from being neglected: one customer even complained to his sales assoc and was told that the car would be cleaned up when he finalized the purchase. Right.

After you wash, rub your hand along the hood and trunk and feel for grit & nibs. If so, it would probably be a good idea to use that clay bar before you wax/seal.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM

68 posts, read 170,400 times
Try this link. Click on the instructional DVD - this is high end stuff and is excellent. The DVD is outstanding and will help you greatly! Enjoy/

Pinnacle Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or