Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times

Advertisements

The hard part of a Subaru if you are looking used is trying to find one that doesn't have a million miles on it, lol. One benefit we have in my area is that Subaru North America's HQ is in Cherry Hill and they offload their company and demo vehicles through the local Subaru dealer's in the area, makes it a little easier to find a good one.

OP, yes the Legacy GT will require premium fuel. Most turbo engines will recommend 91 octane as a minimum which equals premium in most areas.

Good to hear you are expanding the search criteria, isn't car shopping fun? I think the Subaru will be a good match for you. Also, I would still check out the Infiniti G35/7. They can be a good bargain used in sedan trim and combine a pretty powerful V6 with a manual, the coupes carry a bit of a premium.

Also, you may want to check out the Mazdaspeed 3. Very capable and fun car. They are all hatchbacks and they are all manuals and have 4 doors for getting your child in and out. Definitely worth a look. Since she is a little more open to turbo 4's, you may also want to check out the VW GTI and the Audi A3. Not as much oomph as the Subaru or Speed 3, but very nice driving and handling cars that are hatchbacks, can be purchased with 4 doors and both come in manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hyundai Elantra touring is a nice car with lots of utility, yeah only comes with a 145hp 4cyl but do you think she would know the difference if you told her it was a 6?
Something tells me that if his wife was deadset on a "V6" that she was really looking for a certain power level. Also by stating that it had to be manual, I'm guessing she likes to drive. I think she would notice.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I remember my mom being insistent on a V8 when she asked me to help her car shop,as we were driving past a Toyota dealer she spotted a dark blue Toyota Rav4 sport model so we stopped and she loved it,went for a test ride and she loved the power,she ended up buying it and i think to this day 5yrs later she still thought it was a V8.She loved the car so much I never had the heart to tell her it was a 4 banger

Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Something tells me that if his wife was deadset on a "V6" that she was really looking for a certain power level. Also by stating that it had to be manual, I'm guessing she likes to drive. I think she would notice.
+1. It would be one thing to suggest a turbo 4 or 5 with V6-like power (and almost just as smooth) to see if they/she might like it. But to suggest an N/A 145hp 4 and "see if she notices the difference" is basically insulting her intelligence for no reason...

Also not sure why cars such as Volvo S80s (auto sedans) are being bandied about in a thread asking about MT wagons

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Quote:
+1. It would be one thing to suggest a turbo 4 or 5 with V6-like power (and almost just as smooth) to see if they/she might like it. But to suggest an N/A 145hp 4 and "see if she notices the difference" is basically insulting her intelligence for no reason...
Exactly (on both accounts).

Quote:
Also not sure why cars such as Volvo S80s (auto sedans) are being bandied about in a thread asking about MT wagons
Actually, I think that the information gleened on this thread has opened up the possibility of a sedan, although the MT is still manditory.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
If you will take a leftover 2010, you can get them for $25k with a little negotiating.

Example:
2010 Subaru Legacy GT Premiumm For Sale | englewood CO

2010 GT $26,723 - They will go cheaper than that, at least to $25k I would think.

This isn't the limited, but it will give you heated seats, sunroof, etc, etc. A 2010 left over Limited will run you around $28k if you can find one.

Yes, the turbo engine requires 91 octane fuel. If you drive 15k miles a year with a 20mpg average, that's $150 more a year if 91 is $.20/gal more than 87.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 08-12-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Actually, we are giving this one a serious look. Thanks to some of the responses on this thread, I think she is finally coming to realize that the car she wants just does not exist (Yeah, the bimmer, but not with low miles, in the price range).

Again, thanks....
I don't know if you looked at my links, but you can find BMW's (though not an 10, more like an 06-07) with less than 30k miles and an MT within your budget, both 3-series and 5-series. Yeah, they're not wagons (generally), but neither is the Legacy GT.

That said, now that she seems to accept that a car doesn't need a fixed number of cylinders to perform, I'd also suggest the A3 Sportback. Though I personally don't like the interior all that much, it's a good car and it combines the best of both worlds, with some more space in the back, yet being pretty nice sized. (I'd get the diesel, knowing how it performs)

Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'd also suggest the A3 Sportback. Though I personally don't like the interior all that much, it's a good car and it combines the best of both worlds, with some more space in the back, yet being pretty nice sized. ([b]I'd get the diesel, knowing how it performs[b])
no manual in the TDI.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
no manual in the TDI.
Oh you poor poor souls, you don't get any of the fun we do, do you...

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Oh you poor poor souls, you don't get any of the fun we do, do you...
Audi has made some silly choices in the past few model years, especially with the A3. You also cannot get a quattro A3 with manual. We also don't get as many wagon options - I just bought a 2010 S4 .... I would have gotten the avant, if available. But no dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive