U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,443,501 times

Advertisements

Not really. I just find that if I set a goal, I have to obtain it. I read "The Spirit" and one of the main components are creating a motivational board with all the things you want in life with deadlines and then putting it somewhere where you will see it multiple times a day. So far has been working for me pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM

8,881 posts, read 15,666,377 times
I used to be obsessed with the thought of owning a Yugo. But when I got to the point where I could afford one they were no longer being made and the used ones were no longer running. So whenever I buy a can of vegetables I pacify myself with the idea that the can might be made from recycled Yugo material.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 13,056,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would love to find a Black or Emerald Green 91-95 Corvette ZR-1
You would love my girlfriend's car! It's an emerald green 95 with a glass top. It was her deceased hubby's toy- very low miles, but she won't sell it for love nor money.
I like to drive it more than she does- she likes to drive my Cooper over the Vette.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 AM

22,154 posts, read 26,646,023 times
I've always wanted to own a '60s muscle car (1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum with 3.55 gears and Torqueflite automatic transmission with shift kit; see photo below). But those cars, in good condition, cost well in excess of $10,000 (more like $20,000+).

I've also wanted to own a 1959 Cadillac. Any model but especially an Eldorado Seville 2-door hardtop.

But I can't complain; another car I've wished to own is a '66-'76 Cadillac Limousine and I do own one of those (after searching for one year and two months).

Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 PM

221 posts, read 435,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...and the more you look for it and wait for the right moment, the farther away and the more impossible it seems to get to obtain?

Mine, a 2005 Subaru STI, black, gold wheels.
Not really. The cars I've most longed for and gotten have turned out to be the most heartbreaking or irritating. The ones I've just taken on and started running with have worked out fine.

Kind of like it is with women.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 PM

9,010 posts, read 14,229,381 times
Before the Solstice went for sale, I was fixated on getting one. I loved the car!

then it came out and was difficult to get. I also wanted to wait a little for quirks to get ironed out. When I shopped second year models, dealers were not dealing.

Finally got to drive one, and was disappointed in the seating position. I did not like the top-up visability.

I still think they are neat, but to this day I have not bothered to buy one. As much as I lusted over the idea of having this 2 seat convertable, I think I would quickly fall into buyers remorse. So I have passed on it.

Maybe I will give a used one a try in a few years, when they are going for relatively cheap prices.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,561,764 times
I have wanted an Audi TT for a long time. I'm not really sure why, they are definitely more style than substance, or at least the older models were. I have had a couple chances to get one, but ended up passing for one reason or another. Whenever I see one on the road, it catches my eye and I look at the driver with that "you lucky bastard" stare, lol.

It doesn't help that the latest C&D had a review of the new Audi TT RS. I now have a new obsession. I can't afford one new, not at all, but I'm hoping to snag one down the line that hasn't been too ragged out. The dream lives on.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 AM

774 posts, read 1,987,517 times
When I was younger things were hard to obtain. Money was tight and all I could afford were used cars that I had to do some work on myself to make them what I wanted them to be. Today things are different. Like SpeedyAZ I have my checks automatically divided into three accounts. One is a checking account for my expenses, the next is savings (largest portion) and the last is a fun money account and this is the account I use for all my entertainment, cars, toys etc.

I've found that if you focus on things you really want then you will find a way to obtain them. Fortunately I'm in a position now that I can have most things I want within reason and thankfully my tastes do not run to the extreme. For instance I would never even consider spending 150K on a car or more than 500K on a house.

Truly focus on what you want and you will obtain them.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM

8,881 posts, read 15,666,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
Truly focus on what you want and you will obtain them.
I take it you've read "Think and Grow Rich?" Regardless, Napolean Hill's philosophy seems to work well for you.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,801,145 times
Always would have liked to own a 57 Chevy, or a 55 or 56 for that matter. When I was a kid back in the 70's you could buy a really good car for maybe $3K.

For that matter any 60's Chevy convertible in decent shape is 10K and up.

About 20 years ago I test drove a 54 Chevy, 3 on the tree, they were asking $6K, similar car today would be 3X or more in price.

As for the top of the heap Detroit muscle cars, fuggetaboutit. Most of these are really too valuable to drive.

I had an excellent E30 325i till some idiot wrecked me (their fault 100%) back in the 90s. I look around for a good unmolested 5-speed 325i and see mostly beat old dogs, cars kids have been driving, cars I would not really want for free. M3's are for sale from time to time, but a good one will set you back $15K or more, mostly more. At least some people have preserved the M3s but most 325i/iS cars have just been driven into the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or