U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,471,207 times
Get a Subaru with Blizzak winter tires. You will have the best combination for driving in the winter. Good winter tires will stop a good 20 feet before an "all season" tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 PM

261 posts, read 304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Go for the 2010 Subbie Forester. Great vehicle.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now I need a good comparison between the 3.6R Outback and a similar Forester. Which one is more "agile", in general what do you like about your Forester? Have you taken it on a long trip?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Get a Subaru with Blizzak winter tires. You will have the best combination for driving in the winter. Good winter tires will stop a good 20 feet before an "all season" tire.

Yes I agree, this is basically what I want: AWD, stability control, great winter tires, good torque, good mileage, and a reasonably "agile" car. That's why I'm moving on away from a Volvo in my search. First of all the price. Second, I don't need an electronic assist with everything going on around me. That's what rearview mirrors and side mirrors are for

Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 PM

5,364 posts, read 8,462,863 times

I haven't seen any mention of wildlife warning whistles or whatever you might call them. For about five bucks you can stick a pair of them on your front bumper. They're a little smaller than the picture here. I guess it's kind of difficult to prove how effective they are. But If no deer collisions can be considered as proof, then my past cars did just fine.

I totally forgot to get a pair for my current wagon and this is what it looked like back in June after a deer collision at 45 mph.

Last edited by square peg; 08-14-2010 at 09:53 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM

9,155 posts, read 12,297,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post

I haven't seen any mention of wildlife warning whistles or whatever you might call them. For about five bucks you can stick a pair of them on your front bumper. They're a little smaller than the picture here. I guess it's kind of difficult to prove how effective they are. But fIf no deer collisions is proof, then my past cars did just fine.

I totally forgot to get a pair for my current wagon and this is what it looked like back in June after a deer collision at 45 mph.
wow those were when volvo's were built like tanks to bad they went away from that that car just needs a hood, front fender, rad fan and new headlight and she is good as new.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 PM

5,364 posts, read 8,462,863 times
I pulled a hood off one at the junkyard and got a headlight there too for $125. I already had a few spare grilles hanging around. No fender damage. Got the hood painted and put the trim pieces back on and all was fixed for $375. The new hood had a couple of dings that I asked the shop to iron out. That's the pusher fan for the AC and seeing how the AC isn't working any longer I just yanked it out. The radiator was undamaged.

I saw the whole thing happen too as I was following my wife on a 50 mph road with no traffic to speak of. She drives a little slow and is about as cautious behind the wheel as anyone I know. The deer was emerging from a hayfield and the missus just never saw it coming. Her brake lights didn't come on until after she hit it. Broad daylight too. You just never know.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 PM

And you are from Vermont! I've lived in a couple of states, always saw some deer here and there. But here in NJ, I saw deer on every single occasion I've visited Morris county (my new home). Every single time, and that was in July... come October, I 'll be swe(a)r(v)ing like never before, ha ha, hopefully in a better car than I own now

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM

9,694 posts, read 11,837,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post

I haven't seen any mention of wildlife warning whistles or whatever you might call them. For about five bucks you can stick a pair of them on your front bumper. They're a little smaller than the picture here. I guess it's kind of difficult to prove how effective they are. But If no deer collisions can be considered as proof, then my past cars did just fine.

For a time all of my relatives had them in PA and I think wrecked about 15 cars. Since they have took them off in recent years, no crashes.

I think it's more likely the deer stand in the middle of the road instead going "WTF is that noise, AWWWWWWWWWWWW!" instead or will prompt them to start running when they might have quietly been munching away.

Deer I would say are relatively predictable. They seem to move around a lot at dawn and dusk. They also tend to run along fence lines with cover and between water sources.

The worst time of the year though is October when the cover disappears and also they seem to sense hunting season is coming. It's seems like they go crazy racing all over because they know the shooting is about to begin.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 PM

4,943 posts, read 5,843,785 times
The Volvo XCs are well built (all of the XC models). The new XC70 is somewhat comparable to the Outback in power, dimensions, and overall amenities. Note that I did not say "the same". I'm a little biased toward Volvo producs as I've driven them for 20+ years. The Volvo models are still very stout cars, but Subaru has some very good safety ratings as well. Both the Subaru and Volvo have stability control (or at least have that feature available). I personally find the XC70 more visually appealing, but that's just a personal choice. The price difference between the cars is fairly significant.

I also think the Forester is worth a look. I had one for a couple of weeks as a rental, and it had a good road feel. The model I had was equipped with a sunroof and heated seats, but it had a durable cloth interior (I'm waaaaay over leather after 20+ years of either sticking to, or freezing on, leather seats). I liked the seating position and visibility, but didn't feel as if the car was top heavy at all. There are several trim packages available, as well as two engine choices. The base engine isn't very powerful, but it's OK.

The GC has a frightening initial depreciation curve, while the Subarus are slower to decline in value. Unsure about the Volvo. Knowing that the GC loses so much value in the first 2 years, I would not buy one, at least not as a new car.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I personally find the XC70 more visually appealing, but that's just a personal choice. The price difference between the cars is fairly significant.
I agree. Not sure what to think about the negative notions of Ford owning Volvo, and the quality going down. Anything to worry about? Has this already happened, or are people simply worried that it will? The cars are still built in Sweden, so I'm hoping the quality is great. Will take a look at the XC70, did not consider this one. You're right, very similar to the Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive