U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
I agree. Not sure what to think about the negative notions of Ford owning Volvo, and the quality going down. Anything to worry about? Has this already happened, or are people simply worried that it will? The cars are still built in Sweden, so I'm hoping the quality is great. Will take a look at the XC70, did not consider this one. You're right, very similar to the Subaru.
Volvo is now owned by Geely Automotive of China. Geely is serious about becoming a worldwide brand, despite some of the hilarious crap they have turned out in China, so I think they will aim to keep the quality of Volvo up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM

747 posts, read 2,211,182 times
Quote:
I agree. Not sure what to think about the negative notions of Ford owning Volvo, and the quality going down. Anything to worry about? Has this already happened, or are people simply worried that it will? The cars are still built in Sweden, so I'm hoping the quality is great. Will take a look at the XC70, did not consider this one. You're right, very similar to the Subaru.
Volvo were never really "great" quality i.e. reliability wise. Yes there's an old 1800 somewhere with a million miles on it, and there's a cult following of 240s that are relatively easy to keep running. But overall their reliability has been middle of the pack, depending on which metric you read. On the bright side, I haven't read any reports that quality has fallen under Geely ownership

Old 08-15-2010, 03:17 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,383,583 times
Reasearch Mom, There is no such thing as a anti elk or moose car. My system is slow and still loading that video.

Last year on August 1st at 9:00 pm I hit a Jeep GC that hit a moose. That driver like about every driver never saw the moose. In day time not many drivers that hit a moose see the moose then either not even in day light!

So being in a very manouverable car isn't going to help, and until I see the video I am assuming this car has enough warning to drive around the moose.

What happened to the GC jeep was the grill was smashed in about 1/2 way to the windshild, trashing the radiator, jamming the belts, but that didn't matter, because the moose crushed the roof to with in 4 inches of the dash.

In this case the air bags for some reason I don't know failed to go off, which SAVED the 2 occupants lives!

In most cases, where this instance occurs the air bags blow the people back into the crushed roof, and that impact breaks the people's necks.

Since I 'see' because I look, I tend to find moose others don't see and have pointed out 16 in less than 8 hours to others, in day light.

In night it is another thing altogther, and the reason I can type on this side of the grass is because i saw a minor reflection from the jeeps lights, a refelction that resembles black crows taking flight, but that doesn't happen at night as crows have gone to roost.

i was on my motorcycle brakes before the jeep hit the moose, never less I hit the jeep at a very slow rate just the same from 50 mph.

The video has loaded and it is total bunk. It does depend on a visual that is never going to take place in the real world.

In the case of the safer vehicals what you want is a built in roll bar cage that will not crush, a car that can take impact upside down or take impact from above and the GC Jeep won't.

A older Volvo might, but that might even with the roll bar cage and inner door panel guard rails could with ease be compromised.

There is no way anyone is going to see moose and drive around one at night. I had time to think over and choose which to hit. The jeep was south bound as I was, the moose east bound. To me i could hit the jeep or hit the moose if it kept going east and into the on coming lane. I choose the jeep.

I can drive a rear wheel drive car just like that driver too. I used to race slalom courses, and that driving as shown isn't much to speak of a bit. We just used orange pylons, not pre dead wild critters.

Deen weigh 1,000 lbs less than moose, so you can bump off a deer with little damage as peg has shown.

BTW that jeep stopped right now, that moose stopped the jeep and that jeep didn't go 12 more inches. It was stopped like an 10,000lbs achor was dropped Right Now.

To hit a moose there is no car that will take the beating and drive away or ever be drivable again.

18 wheelers can't even do that.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 PM

280 posts, read 502,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Volvo were never really "great" quality i.e. reliability wise. Yes there's an old 1800 somewhere with a million miles on it, and there's a cult following of 240s that are relatively easy to keep running. But overall their reliability has been middle of the pack, depending on which metric you read. On the bright side, I haven't read any reports that quality has fallen under Geely ownership
I think a wait and see approach would be good with Volvo at this time. The necessity to turn the collision avoidance system "on" might just get lost in translation

Volvo accidentally smashes new S60 car (http://www.wired.co.uk/videos/wired-things/2010-05/07/volvo-accidentally-smashes-new-s60-car - broken link)

Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
Quote:
I think a wait and see approach would be good with Volvo at this time. The necessity to turn the collision avoidance system "on" might just get lost in translation

Volvo accidentally smashes new S60 car (http://www.wired.co.uk/videos/wired-things/2010-05/07/volvo-accidentally-smashes-new-s60-car - broken link)
I've dealt with some of these systems from various manufacturers and they are FAR from reliable or perfect. Especially with so many brain dead drivers out there, they are fools to rely on these systems. The technology is not there yet.

But I don't hold that against the manufacturers as I always say these systems are there to assist the driver, not drive the car.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,728,676 times
We've always driven a Volvo (xc70) and we can't say enough good things about them. I dispute the reliability issues that another poster mentioned? If you care for your VOlvo like you should, you should have no problems. Ours have been great to us. We use the synthetic oil, too, which lasts longer. If you have the money to spend, I recommend a Volvo xc70, but if you're looking to spend less but want similar quality, go with the Subaru Outback. We've considered an Outback before... as it seemed very similar to our xc70's - just not as comfortable and not as many safety features and it drives very differently on snow and ice and sand. We also like the safety cages that the Volvo's have which are a little different than the cages that the Subaru's have. Makes you feel safer, anyway.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Haggard, her point was to have ability to manouver around pre dead critters I guess. Any fool can do that in the bright day light of a desert. No one can do that after dark on a New England road.

You simply can't avoid what you can't see, and at 50 MPH you won't see a moose in time, not even enough time to apply the brakes. Chances are most drivers that hit moose never see the moose at all before the crash.

If there is a moose there, you are going to hit it. It is going to total any car made, or every car made, and so the criteria of the add is wrong.

You want a car that will be totaled, and let you live for another day.

BTW I drive a 1985 Volvo 245 turbo wagon when I drive a car. The first roll bars and door guards were created in the 140 series Volvo. These are rugged and as dependable as anything out there IMO. There are many safety features in Volvos other cars only copied.

Your car has hood catches that prevent the hood from coming back thru the windshield, it has anti crush devices that prevent the rear end from entering the passanger cabin, and had a method to drive the engine down under the passanger cabin in a extreme ft end crash.

However if you hit a moose that car will be totaled, and depending on damage you may live to drive another car another day.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,343,652 times
in a joking way not to de-rail this thread if you plan on hitting a moose I would pick up a ex-army used AM General 2 1/2 ton 6x6 cargo Army truck they are street legal and can run over pretty much anthing and are high enough that no moose will go through the windshield. chances are it will go under neath the truck
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/007-1118070356-Truck_M35_US_Army_05.jpg (broken link)
anyways just thought

Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Well yeah if yer gonna hunt moose with a vehical that one would do it. Still there is a chance moosei would come poppin thru the window, but i think the ducen' a half would do the trick. Tad costly in terms of MPG's though. M-60 might be a nice match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive