U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Reputation: 17978

Advertisements

So you alos think that all fine should be wealth based instead of prevention based? Thatwold mean that for some who can not or will not apy ;going abck to teh jail in lew of fine.Mnay of teh poorest just let their fines go unpaid now days since the courts ruled that a fine only penatlty cannot have the person jailed.Those that can pay would be paying and htose that can't go to jial to workofff the fine3. The end game is to get compliance remember.*** for example lst I knew had like a $500 parking fine in Toyko to force compliance. Its obvious that fines need to go up in thsi country on spped and redlights for eample bythsoe test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So you alos think that all fine should be wealth based instead of prevention based? Thatwold mean that for some who can not or will not apy ;going abck to teh jail in lew of fine.Mnay of teh poorest just let their fines go unpaid now days since the courts ruled that a fine only penatlty cannot have the person jailed.Those that can pay would be paying and htose that can't go to jial to workofff the fine3. The end game is to get compliance remember.*** for example lst I knew had like a $500 parking fine in Toyko to force compliance. Its obvious that fines need to go up in thsi country on spped and redlights for eample bythsoe test.
Once you type that out in way that's possible to comprehend I shall reply to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 PM
 
143 posts, read 360,084 times
Reputation: 95
I think the important thing to note is that it's all at the judge's discretion. They probably won't actually enforce a 1.08 million Sfr fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What an absurd standard for penalizing people.
Its the same standard the IRS uses to penalize people for producing and earning. It's the same standard the courts use to penalize people who are subject to paying alimony and/or child support.

Fining a person one week's income, no matter how much that income is, is, to the offender, exactly the same fine. The offender took a week out of his limited lifetime to earn the money to pay the fine. Everybody's lifetime is supposed to be of equal value. If Bill Gates is fined for speeding, what kind of a deterrent is it for him to have to pay a fine equal to the amount of money he earns in one one-millionth of a second while he is asleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,009,036 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Its the same standard the IRS uses to penalize people for producing and earning. It's the same standard the courts use to penalize people who are subject to paying alimony and/or child support.
Are you assuming that I agree with those instances as well? Perhaps we should start adjusting the price of consumer goods on an individual basis of wealth. That's fair, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Are you assuming that I agree with those instances as well? Perhaps we should start adjusting the price of consumer goods on an individual basis of wealth. That's fair, no?
It is a legitimate Taxing model to not tax income but instead purely tax consumer goods, in which case, luxury/expensive items would be taxed more, essentially adjusting the price on the basis of wealth, so yes, that is an option as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It's worth mentioning that the ticket will be for speeding in Switzerland, not Sweden.

And frankly, I quite like that system of traffic tickets, it burns equally for everyone.
He's not being fined for speeding or in proportion to the potential he has imposed upon society, he's being fined for being wealthy. Thankfully this kind of BS would be unconstitutional in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
He's not being fined for speeding or in proportion to the potential he has imposed upon society, he's being fined for being wealthy. Thankfully this kind of BS would be unconstitutional in the U.S.
No, he's not actually, he's being fined for breaking the law, but he's being fined in proportion to his wealth, so that the punishment is as equal as possible for everyone.

And again, it's not settled that he'll get this high a fine, in fact I really doubt he will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Yes he is being fined for being wealthy. If that's the basis for determining the fine, then that's what he's being fined for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Do you think it would be fair if the fine were to attach one day of wages from each offender? So the amount of the fine would take the same bite out of everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top