U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,677,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am a bleeding heart liberal (to put it lightly) and while I drive a rice burner your big land yacht don't bother me (until it cuts me off because of it's 256 blind spots). The big trucks that blow black soot and wake everyone within a mile, now those need to be destroyed.
How do you propose goods get moved from place to place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM

18,096 posts, read 16,624,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
How do you propose goods get moved from place to place?
I believe he is talking about the big pickups that do that. I have seen it for myself, mainly the big diesels and the idiots whole floor it just to get the black exhaust cloud.

To the OP, do you hate those who drive small cars who refuse to get out of your way? Do you feel you own the road just because you drive a big vehicle? Do you feel the need to show off because you drive a gas hog of a vehicle? Well get off your high horse and be courtious and those you hate will be courtious to you too.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
It depends.

What are you using your large SUV for? Are you hauling around large amounts of equipment and people? Are you taking those items into areas where you need a high clearance 4wd vehicle?

Or are you just hauling a few groceries around?

I work as a field geologist and sometimes have need of a large 4wd vehicle to get a crew and equipment into remote areas. I don't own a large SUV. My personal vehicle, not for field work, is a Subaru Outback.

And as a geologist, I have some interest into the planet. My current work has been in alluvial and eolian processes in the last 10,000 yrs (very climate related). I have decided that the planet has been through a lot worse than an infestation of bipeds, we are only (maybe) destroying our own habitat.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,346,010 times
Do liberals hate large SUV's

And yet another stupid question in the auto forum

Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
We are all in this together! CO2 is CO2, and it's bad for our kids, for us. You can buy an SUV hybrid if you want, but unless most of us won't do it, things will progress as they have. Regulations will change, and all cars will have to meet the new more efficient mpg criteria at some point (forgot which year). .

I've seen more and more people move back to cities. It's the new trend. I've met so many people who are happy to get rid of their car. So it all equals out at the end. Better public transport is what is really needed in this country.
Um you exhale CO2 everytime you breathe, more so than any car puts out in regular use. If it's a concern, hold your breath and save the planet.

Plants and trees eat CO2 for food through photosynthesis. Any greenhouse owner knows to add CO2 to get his plants to grow bigger and better.

Hybrids have hundreds of pounds of caustic chemicals and metals in their batteries. If that's GREEN, I think the environMENTALists have some explaining to do.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,312,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Do they still think I am destroying the planet every time I get in my large SUV?, do they still think that large SUV's cause global warming and am I despised by the prius drivers? Do the preius drivers really think they are saving the planet and are mad at me because I am not doing my part and driving such a large vehicle is selfish?
I don't consider myself a liberal, but I hate SUVs, any big car, anything beyond 75hp.
If you can't wipe the roof without a ladder, it's too big
I hate cars, I wish I lived in a place without any cars

Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
It depends.

What are you using your large SUV for? Are you hauling around large amounts of equipment and people? Are you taking those items into areas where you need a high clearance 4wd vehicle?

Or are you just hauling a few groceries around?

I work as a field geologist and sometimes have need of a large 4wd vehicle to get a crew and equipment into remote areas. I don't own a large SUV. My personal vehicle, not for field work, is a Subaru Outback.

And as a geologist, I have some interest into the planet. My current work has been in alluvial and eolian processes in the last 10,000 yrs (very climate related). I have decided that the planet has been through a lot worse than an infestation of bipeds, we are only (maybe) destroying our own habitat.
It was interesting today I saw some bumper sticker with the word Liberal and it's definition as they see it. It talked about freedom and personal choice, but what is interesting is Liberals are far from that. If they do fit that definition they would not care what anyone drives. They would not try to impose punitive taxes and regulation.

I think those Fiat Abarth 500's are cool(when they finally make it to the USA), but I can say there will be a Chevy Suburban in the yard as well. But it will be no place for anyone to judge why I have those vehicles or say I can have them or not.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
in the words of the former head of CIA, mr george tenet, "we must stop making our enemies rich".
stop feeding OPEC. gas prices are highly sensitive to auto fuel consumption. pig cars and trucks are unamerican behavior.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Do they still think I am destroying the planet every time I get in my large SUV?, do they still think that large SUV's cause global warming and am I despised by the prius drivers? Do the preius drivers really think they are saving the planet and are mad at me because I am not doing my part and driving such a large vehicle is selfish?
What kind of automotive question is this?
What person choses to drive is NOT a political choice for most sane people now is it?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,367,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am a bleeding heart liberal (to put it lightly) and while I drive a rice burner your big land yacht don't bother me (until it cuts me off because of it's 256 blind spots). The big trucks that blow black soot and wake everyone within a mile, now those need to be destroyed.

Good luck with that.

That black smoke is water and pure carbon. With out that you will be needing a rather larger garden and a barn yards of critters to provied foods, Oh and while yer at it, get handy since this will take most of your days and a good chunk of night. You will need to learn how to make all your clothing and every other thing you buy.

And me I thought librals drove SUV's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive