U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,983,522 times

Advertisements

I don't have a need for a large SUV or large truck so I don't own one,...personal choice. I do have relatives and co-workers who own such vehicles and use it for work and play (hunting and fishing). Except for parts of the northwest USA, I doubt Prius drivers are thinking nasty thoughts about you unless you cut them off. Then again, there was that old man who got caught keying Hummers a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
I drove my Ford totally for political reasons. It was a protest car. I didn't vote for Ford when he ran for president and I wanted to make the statement that I DRIVE Fords, I don't vote for them.

Then, I bought a Jaguar. Again as a political statement. I was saying "Cats rule, Dogs drool."

Now, I drive a Scion. Why? You guessed it - political all the way. Some day, the Scion will rise to power and rule all the world, except for the Jaguar, which will serve as the Scion's royal court pet and cherished companion.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,386,443 times
wanneroo, I hope these new FIATS are a lot better than the last. other wise if eveyone has one in their yard it is likely they will be a real good emmisons free car, since the last were total junk. Fix It Again Today

I worked on many many fiats and it was turely difficult to fox one and not have it break something else before the customer returned to pick it up.

Cheap junk body steel that would dend hit with a feather pillow, cheap junk welds on things like the clutch pedal. Once I put in a new clutch on one and the cable parted, installed a new cable and the pedal weld snapped off.

The dealer next door had these cars apart in boxes and at my shop we put them back together, and I hated every one of them.

If these are no better then they are a total sham.
.................................................. ..................................................

Hybrids are a disaster waiting to happen. All heavy metals in hundreds of pounds and no good way to get rid of these metals, when 8 or so years has past.

These are going to be a wiring headache the likes of have never been seen before. getting rid of any at the chrusher is going to be a nightmare and it will take a real rocketscientst to take these apart just to sort out what's what.

These cars will make a 1964 Ford Falcon look prisine in terms of clean.

There is around 10 guys on this site who can fix cars and the rest can't tell one end of a screw driver from the other, so almost no one knows how dirt hybrid cars really are.

Just because you can plug it in and go a few miles don't make it a clean car.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,360,195 times
I'm a "liberal" in some ways (but leave my guns alone). I hate seeing the word used as an epithet. I have no great love for big SUVs, although if someone really needs something so large, that's fine. Most often, I see them with one person in them (and no sign of a lot of cargo). My theory is that one should not drive something that is larger than necessary. I have a little Mazda and a motorcycle. But if someone wants to help BP, Exxon, and the sultans make another million, that's their business.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,983,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
wanneroo, I hope these new FIATS are a lot better than the last. other wise if eveyone has one in their yard it is likely they will be a real good emmisons free car, since the last were total junk. Fix It Again Today

I worked on many many fiats and it was turely difficult to fox one and not have it break something else before the customer returned to pick it up.

Cheap junk body steel that would dend hit with a feather pillow, cheap junk welds on things like the clutch pedal. Once I put in a new clutch on one and the cable parted, installed a new cable and the pedal weld snapped off.

The dealer next door had these cars apart in boxes and at my shop we put them back together, and I hated every one of them.

If these are no better then they are a total sham.
.................................................. ..................................................

Hybrids are a disaster waiting to happen. All heavy metals in hundreds of pounds and no good way to get rid of these metals, when 8 or so years has past.

These are going to be a wiring headache the likes of have never been seen before. getting rid of any at the chrusher is going to be a nightmare and it will take a real rocketscientst to take these apart just to sort out what's what.

These cars will make a 1964 Ford Falcon look prisine in terms of clean.

There is around 10 guys on this site who can fix cars and the rest can't tell one end of a screw driver from the other, so almost no one knows how dirt hybrid cars really are.

Just because you can plug it in and go a few miles don't make it a clean car.
I'm surprised you don't get an MSDS and toxic chemical warning sticker with the purchase of each hybrid.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 24 days ago)

10,313 posts, read 10,462,290 times
I don't think it's that liberals hate SUVs. They just hate YOUR large SUV! I've seen plenty of liberal themed bumper stickers on SUVs. Funny enough, I've seen plenty of "save the earth" "go green" themed stickers on large SUVs.

Anyone remember back in 2004, when John Kerry was running for office, and he was on the campaign against SUVs? One astute reporter asked him, "Mr. Kerry, isn't it true that you own several SUVs?" Whereupon John replied, "Yes, but those are FAMILY SUVs." Uh, ok. That's what mine is too, Mr. Kerry, so why is yours ok, but mine isn't?

But I'm not going to pick on liberals, easy targets as they can be. Hypocrisy exists on every side of the political isle, and at every level of humanity. I don't care if you're right lane, left lane or center-line road kill, there is some element of hypocrisy within you. We're human, and imperfect. We likely don't even realize we are hypocritical about some things because we are usually very comfortable with our own point of view.

I'm going to stop there before this becomes a dissertation in human philosophy.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:59 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,386,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm surprised you don't get an MSDS and toxic chemical warning sticker with the purchase of each hybrid.
You just made me want to test the electronic field of a common 12 dcv battery. There has to be one.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,031,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Do they still think I am destroying the planet every time I get in my large SUV?, do they still think that large SUV's cause global warming and am I despised by the prius drivers? Do the preius drivers really think they are saving the planet and are mad at me because I am not doing my part and driving such a large vehicle is selfish?
The problem is not the SUV you drive, but the ideology by which you conduct your life. This ideology has been detrimental to this country for centuries.

Besides, SUVs are not just driven by conservatives. My God, man.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,787,924 times
Things have changed in the last few decades. I've known environmental engineers who have performed tests in the cities with the worst air quality: LA, Atlanta, etc and found that the air coming out of the car actually is cleaner than the air coming into the car in certain low-emission non-hybrid vehicles. Just goes to show how far emissions technology has come and how much cleaner cars are today than in the past.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,787,924 times
Ironically enough, many of the hollywood limousine liberals who preach about environmentalism are some of the worst offenders. Recently, an actor was interviewed and touting that he drives a Prius because he actually cares about the environment. Five minutes later he waa talking about the vacation he was talking his wife on hopping the gulf stream jet across Europe. They preach environmentalism, because of course the entertainment elite know whats good for the rest of us, but are frequently seen exiting their H2s and Escalades. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive