U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 PM

404 posts, read 924,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Do they still think I am destroying the planet every time I get in my large SUV?, do they still think that large SUV's cause global warming and am I despised by the prius drivers? Do the preius drivers really think they are saving the planet and are mad at me because I am not doing my part and driving such a large vehicle is selfish?

I hate them for the following reasons:

1) 99% of the time they're unnecessary for circumstances
2) Meek people who are generally nervous drivers often buy them because of their perceived safety and to be sitting higher up, which gives the impression of control despite it being less safe. These drivers drive them like scared kittens because of their mass and end us driving slow in the fast lane, roaming over the center line because the car is too big and they can't tell, or taking too long to pull into traffic
3) The DO burn more gas, which leads to greater scarcity and higher prices for everyone. Thanks.
4) Some people feel as though they can "bully" others in traffic in a large SUV.
5) they're dangerous to other drivers and their owners. The roll easier, their safety standards are lower because they're truck based. In collisions with normal cars, they often crush them due to their mass.
6) It sucks being behind one in traffic. Not being able to see around them adds danger to the already tedious task of driving. Usually they have tinted windows, which means you can't even see through the small ones.
7) They're generally american made pieces of crap that lose their value very quickly.
8) Douchers like you seem to drive them BECAUSE all of these reasons and they get off on pissing other people off. It's like someone smoking a cigar in a movie theater just to be an annoyance. The theme of your original post confirms this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,986,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I hate them for the following reasons:

1) 99% of the time they're unnecessary for circumstances must have pulled that number out your rear cause you can't cite evidence to prove your number
2) Meek people who are generally nervous drivers often buy them because of their perceived safety and to be sitting higher up, which gives the impression of control despite it being less safe. These drivers drive them like scared kittens because of their mass and end us driving slow in the fast lane, roaming over the center line because the car is too big and they can't tell, or taking too long to pull into traffic really? You know all those drivers are meek?
3) The DO burn more gas, which leads to greater scarcity and higher prices for everyone. Thanks. Most don't burn any more gas than a minivan and sports cars
4) Some people feel as though they can "bully" others in traffic in a large SUV.
5) they're dangerous to other drivers and their owners. The roll easier, their safety standards are lower because they're truck based. In collisions with normal cars, they often crush them due to their mass.
6) It sucks being behind one in traffic. Not being able to see around them adds danger to the already tedious task of driving. Usually they have tinted windows, which means you can't even see through the small ones.
7) They're generally american made pieces of crap that lose their value very quickly. So BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Toyota, and Nissan are American made pieces of crap?
8) Douchers like you seem to drive them BECAUSE all of these reasons and they get off on pissing other people off. It's like someone smoking a cigar in a movie theater just to be an annoyance. The theme of your original post confirms this.
Right, people buy such vehicles only for the reasons you listed above. So my uncle who lays carpet and flooring for a living drives a Suburban only for the reasons you listed above. Not because he uses it to haul carpet and flooring. Then there's my cousing who installs auto windshields onsite. Let's see a Prius haul windshields and materials needed for the job. My co-worker drives a Chevy Silverado. He repairs home ac as a side job. Let's see a Prius haul compressors, motors, refrigerant, tools, and other supplies for that kind of work. There are people who live out in the country and never own a car,...large trucks and SUVs only because it's what they need to get around safely.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,869,750 times
There's a leper colony called Politics and Other Controversies for threads like this.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times
I don't thnik so really because many drive them. Its more likely people who are on te far left and ususally the lesss usceesful who often ca afford them Ypoukow;the rebel without a caruse type.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:52 PM

280 posts, read 502,574 times
In Germany (Berlin, Cologne, Hanover), cars are required to wear a colored pollution index (green, yellow, or red) to show the vehicle’s pollution levels. The fourth and worst option, cars whose pollution levels are worse than the red label, are no longer allowed to enter the city center. Those cars caught entering the city will face a fine.

In order to translate that into American turf, EVERYONE who owns a car should pay an annual fee proportional to the emissions the car produces. So if you drive a Prius, you will pay less than if you drive a Hummer, and everyone will be happy. This money should then be used and offered as incentives to people who want to buy more fuel efficient cars.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
In Germany (Berlin, Cologne, Hanover), cars are required to wear a colored pollution index (green, yellow, or red) to show the vehicle’s pollution levels. The fourth and worst option, cars whose pollution levels are worse than the red label, are no longer allowed to enter the city center. Those cars caught entering the city will face a fine.

In order to translate that into American turf, EVERYONE who owns a car should pay an annual fee proportional to the emissions the car produces. So if you drive a Prius, you will pay less than if you drive a Hummer, and everyone will be happy. This money should then be used and offered as incentives to people who want to buy more fuel efficient cars.
So you want to add more financial hardship on poor working class folks? As I said before, there are people who own large trucks and SUVs for their livelyhood. They need such vehicles for their job.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Ironically enough, many of the hollywood limousine liberals who preach about environmentalism are some of the worst offenders. Recently, an actor was interviewed and touting that he drives a Prius because he actually cares about the environment. Five minutes later he waa talking about the vacation he was talking his wife on hopping the gulf stream jet across Europe. They preach environmentalism, because of course the entertainment elite know whats good for the rest of us, but are frequently seen exiting their H2s and Escalades. Hypocrisy at its finest.
I worked in Aspen and you wouldn't believe some of these pompous idiots say in person. "Do as I say, not as I do".

Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Yes and No. Logically if a truck/SUV is needed to do someone's job, they should not have to pay. There needs to be a clear distinction between "necessity" and "preference".

Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Yes and No. Logically if a truck/SUV is needed to do someone's job, they should not have to pay. There needs to be a clear distinction between "necessity" and "preference".
There's been a news story of a little old lady who still drives her 1964 Mercury Comet she bought brand new. There are other stories of people who drive old vehicles because it's what they could afford to buy. These old vehicles would not meet those standards even if they're not a truck or SUV. What about the handicap who have to ride in large converted vans? Those things suck as much or more gas then trucks and SUVs.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
There's been a news story of a little old lady who still drives her 1964 Mercury Comet she bought brand new. There are other stories of people who drive old vehicles because it's what they could afford to buy. These old vehicles would not meet those standards even if they're not a truck or SUV. What about the handicap who have to ride in large converted vans? Those things suck as much or more gas then trucks and SUVs.
Well, that's the idea, to eventually replace the unnecessary gas sizzlers with better, more fuel efficient sizzlers. We do not need to focus on poor seniors, handicap people who need special accomodations, or people doing their job here.

As an example, In 2008 there were 4.8 million SUV's sold. Slap a $5/$10/$15/$20 monthly fee on each (low,medium,high,very high polluters) and get around $730,000,000 in return for just one year. Then, use the money to lower the price of hybrids and start building those light-train lines already! Others can, why can't we???

Railway Finance

BTS | Table 1-20: Period Sales, Market Shares, and Sales-Weighted Fuel Economies of New Domestic and Imported Light Trucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive