U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,836,082 times

Advertisements

Typical liberal. More taxes and laws and regulations. Just what we don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 PM

49,073 posts, read 39,517,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Do they still think I am destroying the planet every time I get in my large SUV?, do they still think that large SUV's cause global warming and am I despised by the prius drivers? Do the preius drivers really think they are saving the planet and are mad at me because I am not doing my part and driving such a large vehicle is selfish?
Please take this to the moron asylum that is political.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,822,095 times
I really don't care who drives what, it's none of my business.

I don't know what anyone's motivations for buying a leviathan SUV are, and am generally not very interested anyway. There are some SUV's I like and would like to own... I dig Avalanches and Escalades, and wouldn't mind having one of those absurdly-huge Chevy Kodiaks. It'd be kinda fun. Keep in mind when I say this I'm a vegetarian, San Francisco-living, pot-smoking liberal who would rather set foot in a BDSM club than a church. I drive a very impractical sports car that, due to my driving habits, gets about as many mpg's as one of these SUV's if driven sedately in straight-line traffic.

The bigger question to me is why you care so much about who's a "liberal" and what they think? Have a bit much time on your hands, huh?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 AM

3,757 posts, read 6,743,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
We are all in this together! CO2 is CO2, and it's bad for our kids, for us. You can buy an SUV hybrid if you want, but unless most of us won't do it, things will progress as they have. Regulations will change, and all cars will have to meet the new more efficient mpg criteria at some point (forgot which year). .

I've seen more and more people move back to cities. It's the new trend. I've met so many people who are happy to get rid of their car. So it all equals out at the end. Better public transport is what is really needed in this country.
The CO2 con job has convinced many. CO2 is not a 'warming' gas, water vapor is.
More CO2 in our atmosphere would result in more lush plant growth for one thing, which in turn would absorb more CO2 since nature always works for balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
actually trees breath C02 and produce oxygen in return
and yes everytime you exhale C02 is the by product
We should get rid of all people, won't that fix the "CO2 is a warming gas!" con job once and for all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am a bleeding heart liberal (to put it lightly) and while I drive a rice burner your big land yacht don't bother me (until it cuts me off because of it's 256 blind spots). The big trucks that blow black soot and wake everyone within a mile, now those need to be destroyed.
No more big trucks, no more food, no more rice for your burner to burn.

Enjoy the nuts and berries diet, and walking everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't think it's that liberals hate SUVs. They just hate YOUR large SUV! I've seen plenty of liberal themed bumper stickers on SUVs. Funny enough, I've seen plenty of "save the earth" "go green" themed stickers on large SUVs.

Anyone remember back in 2004, when John Kerry was running for office, and he was on the campaign against SUVs? One astute reporter asked him, "Mr. Kerry, isn't it true that you own several SUVs?" Whereupon John replied, "Yes, but those are FAMILY SUVs." Uh, ok. That's what mine is too, Mr. Kerry, so why is yours ok, but mine isn't?

But I'm not going to pick on liberals, easy targets as they can be. Hypocrisy exists on every side of the political isle, and at every level of humanity. I don't care if you're right lane, left lane or center-line road kill, there is some element of hypocrisy within you. We're human, and imperfect. We likely don't even realize we are hypocritical about some things because we are usually very comfortable with our own point of view.

I'm going to stop there before this becomes a dissertation in human philosophy.
Well at least Kerry didn't go riding around in a tank like dookaka did. That would have been a riot.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 AM

10,332 posts, read 10,489,847 times
That's a fun reference. I was 8 years old when that laughable moment took place. Maybe I'm a product of my generation, but I still don't think that Mike's joyride in a tank is as good as John Kerry's nomination acceptance speech:

"I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty." [corny salute with goofy grin on face] One of the finest moments in American politics, no doubt!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 AM

10,332 posts, read 10,489,847 times
Oh, and speaking of tanks, did you know that an M1 Abrams tank with its 1500 hp turbine engine burns 15 gallons of fuel JUST TO START UP! That should give researchmom nightmares for the next couple weeks!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM

11,929 posts, read 14,415,898 times
I rent SUV's on occasion when I need to move a lot of stuff or many people. But I think most owners just use it to go to the mall and don't need to haul much.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,420,940 times
Well the hybrids are going to need one hell of tax, so the thinkers of the world can sort out which toxic dump will contain that heavy metals mess in 8 years. That pit should be in place before many more get on the road. Accidents are surley going to put many there before any 8 years come to pass.

This is no different than what man does. Dream up nuke plants to power things and figure out the waste later. Yeah that's it, nuke waste in 55 gallon steel drums LEAKING. Hmmm lets see we can sink some deep in the ocean, that'll work, then we can stuff a mountain full, and but of course we can just leave them on one end of some old industrial parking lot unattended.

I see no reason we can't do the same thing with millons of tons of hybrid cars. Oh sure that will be clean.

WE CAN'T EVEN DISPOSE OF HEARING AID BATTERYS CORRECTLY, AND YOU WANT HYBRID CARS?

No wonder I don't understand so-called modern man.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM

1,903 posts, read 4,738,467 times
When the hybrid batteries die off in the next few years, I suspect people will be dumping them in vacant lots or letting them sit in the back of their garages rather than properly disposing of them.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
In Germany (Berlin, Cologne, Hanover), cars are required to wear a colored pollution index (green, yellow, or red) to show the vehicle’s pollution levels. The fourth and worst option, cars whose pollution levels are worse than the red label, are no longer allowed to enter the city center. Those cars caught entering the city will face a fine.

In order to translate that into American turf, EVERYONE who owns a car should pay an annual fee proportional to the emissions the car produces. So if you drive a Prius, you will pay less than if you drive a Hummer, and everyone will be happy. This money should then be used and offered as incentives to people who want to buy more fuel efficient cars.
Hydrocarbon emissions are generally proportional to fuel consumption. Owners of high fuel consumption vehicles purchase more fuel. Fuel is taxed. They ALREADY pay a tax proportional to their fuel consumption. A Prius driver already has incentive to buy it because of low fuel costs. For some time there have been federal tax credits (subject to quantity sold) for hybrids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive