Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
One thing I just found out this week is that tire dealers (at least in this area) are "not allowed" to repair a tire that's over 10 years old.

I know, it's "not safe" to use a tire that old, and that's the reason for this new 10-year-old limit on repairs. But my wife drives the car to work and back (4 miles r/t) at 30 mph about 200 days per year. The tires are originals on her '96. Tread looks very good, and the sidewall cracks are minimal. Two different guys at the tire store told me that they wouldn't replace them. Except that they couldn't fix the slow leak in one of them because of this new law(?). I got one new tire installed. The rest may wait another 20 years or until they get a leak.

On edit:
Oh yeah, and if you actually drive the car at highway speeds for any distance, the 6-year-old age limit is a good one.
So the tires on your wifes car are 19 yrs old & what do you consider highway speeds ? I drive a max of 50 mph (not 70 like I used to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
So the tires on your wifes car are 19 yrs old & what do you consider highway speeds ? I drive a max of 50 mph (not 70 like I used to).
I'm not a tire expert at all, but my personal experience and what I hear from others points to blow-outs most often happening at higher speeds, especially on hot roads, when tires get hot. And if one does blow, you're more apt to lose control at high speeds. The speed limits on the roads my wife takes to work range from 25 mph to 35 mph, and the distance (2 miles) is short enough that air temps in the tires aren't likely to get very high. At 50 mph? Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Just one question, WyoNewk . . . is it worth the risk?

Even without personal injury and/or death, one simple accident directly or indirectly related to old, dried out tires is just not worth it.

One thing is for certain . . . investing in new tires AFTER an accident will definitely not help.

My suggestion would be to SAVE MONEY ELSEWHERE.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Just one question, WyoNewk . . . is it worth the risk?

Even without personal injury and/or death, one simple accident directly or indirectly related to old, dried out tires is just not worth it.

One thing is for certain . . . investing in new tires AFTER an accident will definitely not help.

My suggestion would be to SAVE MONEY ELSEWHERE.
Good question/point. I really think they're perfectly safe at the speeds driven. I thought about replacing all of them, just so we'd have another car we could take out of town, and I'll likely do that some time in the next 6-8 months. The reason I didn't replace all of them the other day is because we've got some other expenses this month, and I don't want to run the checking account short.

New tires aren't always a sure bet to be much safer. The last blow-out I had was on new Goodyears, less than a week old and with about 500 miles on them. Tires had never been off the pavement, pressure had been checked hours earlier. It just exploded -- saw it happen in the rear-view mirror. I traded the 4 remaining tires for heavier ones.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

New tires aren't always a sure bet to be much safer. The last blow-out I had was on new Goodyears, less than a week old and with about 500 miles on them. Tires had never been off the pavement, pressure had been checked hours earlier. It just exploded.
I have never had a problem with goodyear tires. I always thought they were quality tires. I still have not replaced the front tires on my old car. My boss knows a shop owner who will sell me 2 15 inch goodyear tires for $150.00 out the door. I would rather have goodyear then Hercules or doral tires.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:33 PM

128 posts, read 66,160 times
In case you're going to buy a used tire, those are the things to look for: Tread depth: ensure to convey a penny with you whilst you pass to buy a used tire, so you can do the penny test.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Getting used, inspect them very good and go with light-truck-rated (LT) tires, nothing light about them, they are heavy-duty and can take a lot of abuse.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:37 PM

243 posts, read 268,431 times
Don’t go to discount tire

Old 04-13-2019, 05:41 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A surprising number of people buy new vehicles and immediately upgrade their tires, so tire shops often have complete sets of brand new tires just taken off new cars. Phone around to everybody in your yellow pages and see if you can find a set. If a dealer sells you used tires, they will include mounting and balancing in the quoted price.
Yeah. Like me.

And as for used tires, what is your life worth?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Why are you guys responding to posters from 9 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive