Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Un happy. The bloomin Haines is cheap worthless junk, as is Chiltons. I just want specs and a little insite, and not to be told take it to the dealer.

It says to unbolt the brake lines and then unbolt the axel flange and to pull either by hand or slap hammer out the axels. No internal clips. The backing plates come off with the axel, bearing and retainer.

The bearings, it says there are there and too hard to set up for the average motorhead. But I have mics, Digital calipers, a vise grip dial indicator, inch pound and foot pound torque wrenchs and so is too much to ask for specs and to buy a manual with any?

I have a 10 ton press, and slews of tools. I just am not intimatly familar with toy auto specs! Ahhhhhhhhh

Would you guys say 1/8th inch movement up and down , might be 1/10th inch up and down is more than enough play at the flange to say the bearing is dead? I do.

The bloomin book goes into detail on the pinion seal R&R, but says the bearings are too hard to do.... i don't buy that for a second, and need bloomin specs. Evidently I can't seem to find a book to buy with the info i want, which is just exact specs.

The book gives me a inch pound pre load spec and that's it!

What books do you guys use?

i wanted a Clymers for it's specs, and the detail, but Clymers doesn't appear to make a book for this truck.

I don't want a costly factory manual and or Mitchells.Mitchells is the best of the best, but this is a 94 truck.

WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I get guys on that site with any friggin specs? I am off to hunt that site down right now.
Mac I never bother with those books, I go straight for the factory manuals.

I would suggest looking into AllData...

Automotive Repair, Auto Recalls, Automotive Software & TSB's - ALLDATA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,720,019 times
Faxon is one re-seller of factory manuals. I agree, the Chilton and Haynes assume a very limited level of shade-tree ability. A used factory manual is probably what you want.

I'm not certain you need any specific spec on pressing the bearings out and in though. You need to push hard enough to get them out and to seat the new ones, I think torquing the pinion nut will pull them into place if they are not already.

That said I have never worked on this particular axle so I may be dead wrong on that.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not certain you need any specific spec on pressing the bearings out and in though. You need to push hard enough to get them out and to seat the new ones, I think torquing the pinion nut will pull them into place if they are not already.
In theory that would work however this case being a trashed/loose pinion bearing it is likely the shims have been damaged. Even if that weren't so I would not trust the new bearing to be dimensionally exact compared to the one it is replacing.

Mac, get out the gear paint and some beers (not too many though)!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,861,818 times
Got a decent on line manual here from the Pirate 4x4 site offering here
Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page

Will check out the Automotive Repair, Auto Recalls, Automotive Software & TSB's - ALLDATA as well since the first manual is difficult to use since it appears to be missing the table of contents.

However it goes into a greater detail, all I need. Once i had my wife go thru every bloomin folder and make me a paper copy of a table of contents. I love that gal

later, she gets a greasey smear on her forehead

Now this good manual seems assume you know to pull the axels.

It has a trick Ild like to play where just the first pinion bearing and seal are replaced with the 3rd member still on the axel housing, but I think not.

The only way i can see a floating flange at the driveshaft is a dead bearing.

These ain't packed in a neoprean holder, that I would know of.

Yeah the typical pain, but ain't everything?

Off to see the new link Lux put up. Thanks Lux.

That Haines will be returned. I have a older haines with specs for my Volvo, and there are there. I have a chiltons for my chevy, but it's best used as 'TP'.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,795,519 times
Hey Mac, you can get access to Mitchell On Demand for $10.49 per vehicle.

I've never tried using it this way but if it's the full knowledge base like what comes with a Mitchell subscription, then it can't be beat.

If you're working on a car for a customer, you can just pass the cost on to them.

Do it Yourself Automobile Repair Manuals - Mitchell 1 DIY

Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Well this one I got and it is decent and free. A bit hard to get around maybe but once you do it's yours.

Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page

If any of you guys plan to woth on the toys, grab it and book mark the site if nothing else.

The way i work these days is seldom on cars and trucks and I never know what i will get next. Could be a 1936 Plymouth Torpedo, or it might be a Dodge 1 ton dump.

I just know it ain't ever gonna be a FIAT, and if it is the .75 cal musket I have is the best tool for that.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,346,260 times
Mac, isn't pirate 4x4 a great site? Someone there will have put up a step by step with photos of a Yota 4x4 axle. Guaranteed! Just ignore the bashers. That's half the fun of being there.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-19-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM

Wilson I am gonna be watchin you with a little more care from now on.

Oh yeah just peachy site, but I think i got a lot of what those boys don't, I get laid. Used to be guys built stone walls because they couldn't get laid, and now the boys drive over stone walls because they can't get laid LOL

I got what I needed there too, but not down in newbies where there is 0 replies still.

I checked the 3 wannabees out too and of them only one has his chit lined up.

I wil go back and MACISM EM TO DEATH, I am expert. LOL

I suppose I owe you some thanks just the same

Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,093,513 times
wish I could find an automatic Toyota truck... They are WAY overpriced.

I regret selling my Tundra a couple of years ago... I sold it way too cheap. Oh well.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 AM

You prefer a auto tranny and like in the Mt's of eastern Tn? Not me. If I lived there it would be all stick shifting fer me. I plow snow and then auto tranny works better since i don't have 3 arms.

Plowing gets busy in NH in a stick though, which can be hard on clutchs. I used to plow that way too. This new way with auto tranny, so far i burned up 4 trannys. I am re-considering going back to cookin off clutches. pain in the but, but cheaper than auto trannies which are almost the same pain in the butt to fix and changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive