U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times

Advertisements

Did you ride the Cherohala highway?

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,376,036 times
Yeah both, the dragon 3 times round trip, neva' crashed there once. But I didn't treat it lightly either. At the top I rode the ridge line to Gatland?? right name? 3 times too, but not always both ways.

There was still snow on the Cherohala. Did smaller parts of the BRP, and I think it might be 441 crossing the smokies?? Nice in there in spring, a carpet of green. I did copy roads in all 40 states we hit, so I can still see where i was/went, but I am not looking at them now. For me anyway it was a once in my life time deal. I am not sure i could do that ride today. I wasn't sure i could do it then either.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
That's one of the trickiest times to do the Cherohala. Cause there is snow on the highway when it winds north of the mountains. Very tricky. Snow in the shadows. Rode that on my Honda 450 chopper 35 years ago.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:50 PM

I guess. If i recall correectly we rode in thru a smaller town to get there with a river and many fishing/out door stores. Didn't stop there, so I mostly recall a nice looking little town and a river. later that day at nearing the far end water was setting up to be black ice.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,746,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Being into early American history nearer Cumberland somewhere to the east I think and south I know there is a older cabin off a back road with a double block house barn, all set up the way it should be. I stopped there but no one was around, so I left a note. Never heard back.
Thats interesting, because we live in a log house... the old logs. Our cabin is two cabins. The living room was the home of a civil war soldier I believe (my dad knows all of this, I dont, lol), but has alot of history behind it. The other attached cabin was part of a barn. We moved them from their old location (dad built a monument) and relocated the house here and built onto it. Some of its modern, but made to look old in many parts. With all of the trees, etc, its hard to get a good look, but here are a couple of pics of it.... the far left is a cabin thats a bedroom/bathroom and the lower right is another cabin and is the living room and my bedroom upstairs from that and a bathroom, then another bedroom behind the house... the center is a kitchen upstairs, bedroom below w/ another bath and laundry room. lol.

here is one pic... the upstairs is not log on the front, but downstairs is, but you cant see the logs thanks to the porch... lol.

see a little more here...

and we also have a little log storage shed/workshop... that you can see on the other side of my car...

Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Oh man you are so lucky to have that cabin.. I will see if i can pin point the place I mean. You might take a ride over that way and see it if I can figure it out. I might be able to do that with some study of the tracings on maps i made.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 AM

7,303 posts, read 22,746,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh man you are so lucky to have that cabin.. I will see if i can pin point the place I mean. You might take a ride over that way and see it if I can figure it out. I might be able to do that with some study of the tracings on maps i made.
Thanks. Yeah we love it. We have lived on this property since 1995 when my dad bought it from his cousin - then moved in the cabin in the year 2000. We live next door to my grandpa, who has lived there since 1980 (down the hill there you see behind my Lincoln), so I have spent most of my entire life on this little 5 acres in NE TN. When we moved here in 1995, we bought a new mobile home (that set where you see the station wagon setting in the pic) and built the house (took from 1996-2000), then sold the mobile home and moved it in a park across from Bristol Motor Speedway.

Yeah, my dad knows a man that buys these old logs, relocates then and sells them. One of his friends built an amazing cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or