U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,411,714 times

Advertisements

Real world guys only please.

A book is in the mail, but i could use a head start i guess.

94 toy-auto pickup V-6 4x4

dead rear pinion bearing and seal, Nice undercoating BTW.
What gets the axels out of the side gears? The front web casting will then let the whole blooming thing out? (Ring and opinion plus carrier?)

Do these simply unbolt at the axel hub ends and pull out?

Backing plates are trash too any sources?

Living in the rust belt is just so much fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM

13,423 posts, read 42,835,934 times
Maybe a whole axle assembly from a boneyard is a more practical fix? Champion Toyota in Houston is a good source for mail-order discount OEM parts.

I have never taken one of these apart, *generally* axles are held in by the bearing at the end of the tube or a C-clip inside the diff gears. You probably already knew that. Usually the ring gear carrier and the pinion have shims, typically the ring gear carrier is pretty tight, I really like a Morgan knocker for this sort of thing rather than a prybar. If you don't see any clips, probably the bolts out at the ends of the tubes are what holds the axles in.

You may want to chill till the book comes in.

You are enough of a motorhead that I don't understand why you stay in the rust belt either. I would not live there for love or money.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,392,227 times
I usually just buy a used rear assembly drum to drum, costs about $100.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Maple sugarin' keeps me here. I just can't exist with out the Rights of Spring.

A pop in axel housing here is a royal pain, and will get into busted shackels, u bolts, shocks, and all sorts more rusty hell fun. Doing all 5 bearings is easier than dealing with torches in this heat. The outboard bearings appear ok so far. So I might do the 3 in the punkin box.
I got a big slap hammer and a set of attachments the old OMC wrapper if things are a little tight.

I might wait for the book as that chevy I am doing isn't done yet either. No hurry i guess, since the ft rubber flex lines are un-obtanium so far. I am running out of jack stands though.

Any idea on how i tell what the gear in there arem with them not opened? This is a 4x4 and they must match or else!
Another problem is in winter colder than +10'F the drive shaft center bearing talks. I asked a dealer and was told they get 300 bucks plus for the bearing in my hand.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM

13,423 posts, read 42,835,934 times
You can figure out the gear ratio if it will turn, if it's positraction for example if you turn the drum one full turn and the pinion goes around 4 X and a bit more it's a 4.10 or 4.11. If it's not posi, you can lock one drum/axle and turn the other, for a 4.11 it will turn the pinion about 2X (because of the differential spider gears). FWIW I don't think they had many or any options for gearing in this year of truck.

Like I said Champion Toyota in Houston is a bit easier to deal with than local dealers.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Oh this truck makes no sounds, but the seal slung gear oil all over the under bed and area. How I know the bearing is toast is I can push the u joint yoke up and let it come down. I guess off hand there is 1/8th inch slop, which is a bit much, but other wise no growel no chatter, all quiet.

What first caught my attention was that gear oil smell, which wa slung on the hot muffler.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,038,410 times
Aren't these 3rd member differentials? Mac, if so the axle shafts don't slide out the same way as on that chevy.

If the pinion bearing is trash this is going to be a highly involved project for you. Have you set up gears before?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Set up gears before, but not this type. These appear to be on the face cover casting, I guess until I have a book in my hands i will leave it as is. i think all the heavy hardware is mounted on the face casting, heavy and webbed. The back cover is welded on.

So the axels have to come out before the casting can I think.

The bad part is the last gear set i did was done in 1990, and that one i still have. It has never whined or howeled a bit either.
84 chev 1500 K-10 old type 1500 a real truck.

I am not familar with the term 3rd member. And this is not limited slip. I know that because i drive it in winter too.

I have instant access to a full blown machine shop as well. About 80 feet from the house door. I know that because i installed patio tiles that weigh 80 pounds each and are set 4 inches apart a mans normal pace.

I have set up Saab 99 and VW Bettles before. Once I got lost on a bug in a conversation and intalled the ring gear backwards (wrong side). I was madder than hell on the test drive. It didn't whine though

Tell me what a 3rd member is/means please?

I still want the definition if possible. on edit now and found this link looking for the definition.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...#Differentials

About 1/2 way down on the page there is a V-6 differential. Reading this over I have all the tools I need.

I was reading about a chrystler with the term 3rd member and it installs just like my 84 chevy, so it is the term I have never heard of before.

What is different from a 3rd memeber from any other basic differential? Why would it have a different name, or is it just me and a chevy has this same name to?

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 08-17-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 PM

1,345 posts, read 2,219,557 times
Then again if you get jammed up on the fix or decide it's not worth it check out carparts.com , you may get lucky and find a salvage yard that has one close enough.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM

If the case is ruined which I doubt, then I will have no choice. There is 2 compressors here one is mine. I own a lot of tooling mostly dated, but most differentials are kinda dated things too still. Some thing the new wave engineers know better than to screw up.

Based on very little detailed info a difference here, is the ring gear can be moved to adjust sideways i think. Chevy can't back in 83/84.

No doubt that ring gear will need to come off, but it does in a rear entery case too. Looks about the same other than the gears are on the face casting and go in from the front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or