U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times

Advertisements

UNREAL........

Do You Know What This Symbol Means?- Yahoo! Autos Article Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Low tire pressure.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:28 PM

11,876 posts, read 45,676,236 times
Yeah, low tire pressure!
So?

I don't mean to gender brow-beat but, I'm glad it's standard equip. now. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a vehicle (being driven!) with an extremely low tire- and a woman at the wheel.
Reminds me of one time I saw that- she flew by me like a bat outta Hell (with low tire)- and I said to myself, "I bet I'll see her again in about 15mins.
Sure enough, I caught up with her as she's trying to make her way across 6 lanes of traffic with a SHREDDED tire. Normally, I stop and help (when there's time), but she deserved to be stranded on the road.
Yeah, I know- Mean Bstrd!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,497,442 times
I once experienced a very funny situation - the first car ever I got with this tire pressure control system was a Chrysler 300 from Avis in Canada, and it was also the first time a had a flat tire. It looked like I have overrunned something on the highway and I was surprised to see "Warning - low tire pressure" on the screen.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
I have a friend who bought a new Fit three years ago. It has been in the garage only about four times since he bought it. Every time to try to recalibrate the tire idiot light so it doesn't keep flashing constantly when the tires are properly inflated. Every morning when he gets up, the light is on, from the lowered pressure from overnight cooler temperatures. Honda can't seem to fix it.

The reason you see so many people driving on under-inflated tires is because virtually all service stations now charge anywhere from 50c to a dollar to add 2 or 3 pounds of pressure to one tire.

If every car needs tire re-inflation twice a year, that would make air pumps a quarter-billion dollar industry in this country. If the government really thinks proper inflation is such a critical safety issue that there is a compelling need to mandate warning lights, service stations should be required to stop punishing people who comply.

A very simple procedure, which I have never heard of any station doing, is to have a swipe-card or punch-code operated air pump, and anyone who fills up with gas can ask for an air-pump card to activate the pump free. You would then see a lot fewer cars driving around with under-inflated tires.

I did see one station with a sign on the air pump that said "Gas customers, ask attendant to activate air pump".

Most independent tire stores will probably check and inflate your tires if you pull in and ask, and maybe even pretend to do it cheerfullly, although places like Goodyear and Firestone and WalMart and Sears would probably tell you to make an appointment and fill out a work order.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM

17,482 posts, read 18,638,752 times
Charging for air or water in CA is illegal if you purchase fuel. Most stations in my area don't require the fuel purchase.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:01 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a friend who bought a new Fit three years ago. It has been in the garage only about four times since he bought it. Every time to try to recalibrate the tire idiot light so it doesn't keep flashing constantly when the tires are properly inflated. Every morning when he gets up, the light is on, from the lowered pressure from overnight cooler temperatures. Honda can't seem to fix it.

The reason you see so many people driving on under-inflated tires is because virtually all service stations now charge anywhere from 50c to a dollar to add 2 or 3 pounds of pressure to one tire.

If every car needs tire re-inflation twice a year, that would make air pumps a quarter-billion dollar industry in this country. If the government really thinks proper inflation is such a critical safety issue that there is a compelling need to mandate warning lights, service stations should be required to stop punishing people who comply.

A very simple procedure, which I have never heard of any station doing, is to have a swipe-card or punch-code operated air pump, and anyone who fills up with gas can ask for an air-pump card to activate the pump free. You would then see a lot fewer cars driving around with under-inflated tires.

I did see one station with a sign on the air pump that said "Gas customers, ask attendant to activate air pump".

Most independent tire stores will probably check and inflate your tires if you pull in and ask, and maybe even pretend to do it cheerfullly, although places like Goodyear and Firestone and WalMart and Sears would probably tell you to make an appointment and fill out a work order.
I'd just get small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I've always had one in my truck in a plastic box along with a cheap chicom toolkit. Both have been used and come in handy more times than I could have ever imagined.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,321,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Charging for air or water in CA is illegal if you purchase fuel. Most stations in my area don't require the fuel purchase.
x2. They almost never put up a fight. I buy almost all of my gas at one specific shell station .... even if i dont buy gas on that trip, the attendant knows i'm there regularly.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,726,466 times
My tire idiot light is on constantly in my Aura. Had to replace a wheel and never replaced the sensor. OnStar has a fit over this in the monthly email. I can look at the tire and add air when necessary. I carry a bicycle pump in one of my cars for just this very situation.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 PM

17,482 posts, read 18,638,752 times
^^ And mine works perfectly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or