U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,117,246 times

Advertisements

The heavier 4x4 will do better in the deep stuff, allowing it's weight to push the tires down into the snow to get traction. But you will also have a harder time stopping on slick surfaces. This is where the tire tread/compound make a HUGE difference. Sure, it's a bit of money, but in the long term you aren't paying much more since you drive on your All-Seasons/Summer tires for 7 months out of the year, thus making them last longer.

If you want to be the safest possible, get a 4x4/awd vehicle and get dedicated WINTER tires!

These videos will educate you

YouTube - Tire Rack Tire Test - All-Season vs. Winter Tires

YouTube - Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice

YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 2 of 6

I personally would get a Jeep Commander QD-II and some Blizzaks. You will be unstoppable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,574,244 times
So just swap out tires each winter when the snow starts and then back again once spring hits? Sounds logical.

I found a couple SUVs I liked and sent them to hubby. I know he likes his Explorer, but I was really hoping to upgrade.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,026,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
So just swap out tires each winter when the snow starts and then back again once spring hits? Sounds logical.
Most people have an entirely seperate set of rims and tires.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,574,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Most people have an entirely seperate set of rims and tires.
Ok. So for storage, do you just hang them on the wall the rest of the year? Do they get flat spots if you stand them up? Or do you lay them down and stack them?

Oh - what about power to plug in the battery? When hubby lived in northern Wyoming all the houses had outlets in the garage to plug the car batteries into so they didn't die. Do we need to worry about that too? Is that something special? Should we buy up north as opposed to buying in TN and risking the southern batteries don't have the plug? Or does the plug attach right to the standard battery?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
the plugs on the cars are for engine block heaters they are so the car or truck turns over easier in fridged tempatures and prevent the extreme from cracking the block they don't charge the battery.

they just keep the engine coolent and oil warm which is good cause it takes npot time to get the heat going if you have a block heater

As for the tire just stack the onto of each other and make sure to check them and fill them to the proper PSI when they need it.

if you have a car port with a plug in and are worried abiout a dead battery just get a trickle cahrger and throw it on over night and you should have no problems in winter

Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,117,246 times
I store them in the garage (ours is heated) on the floor with some cardboard between each wheel, stacked up.

If the temp is below -25F, a block heater is something that will make sure your car starts each time. I don't know about your area, but that might not be a bad idea, especially if you park it outside. From a couple searches, it looks like you can get one installed for under a couple hundred bucks.

I would sell your RWD Explorer in TN, since there will be a demand for it, and buy a 4x4 vehicle there. Your Explorer will be worth a lot less up north and 4x4's will be more expensive due to demand.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,370,753 times
Quote:

So, is a smaller SUV as safe as the larger? Does the added weight / size make a difference in safety in deep snow? They apparently get a couple feet there during the winter months.
Depends on the build of the vehicle. A narrow tall vehicle is the worst you can get. Look for something wide. That's why the Lexus GX460 (the name has been changed since) had issues previously (Consumer Reports) due to it's tall height and narrow track, easier to flip.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:14 PM

18,125 posts, read 16,661,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Depends on the build of the vehicle. A narrow tall vehicle is the worst you can get. Look for something wide. That's why the Lexus GX460 (the name has been changed since) had issues previously (Consumer Reports) due to it's tall height and narrow track, easier to flip.
Actually it was a stability control computer issue that cause the GX problem, it has since been corrected and there is no longer any problem.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,178,464 times
Quote:
We're planning on moving to extreme northern Maine in the next year and a half to two years. We definitely will need something with 4 wheel drive. We've got an Explorer now that hubby loves but no 4x4.

Anyone have suggestions on a 2000 or newer - but NOT new - SUV for under $10,000? Want something reliable as we'll be down to one vehicle in the winter months. Miatas I'm guessing won't be too great in 2 feet of snow.
Naw, just get a set of dedicated snow tires for the winter months. Do the same for the Miata and you will be able to drive it 90% of the time as well. I lived in Caribou, ME for 20 years and drove a 93 GEO Metro year-round the last few years there. A little weight in the rear of the Explorer along with good snow tires and you will be fine. I liked the Firestone WinterForce studded tires while I was there, or the Nokian studded tires.

Far northern Maine is the best place I have ever lived or saw for clearing snow off the roads. In 20 years I can count on one hand the times I couldn't get to where I needed to go with a 2 wheel drive vehicle and snow tires. You can get a 2 or 3 foot snowfall with wicked wind, and in a couple days the main roads are DRY. Side roads are dry in a week or so usually after a heavy dump.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 866 times
where was the Durango accident photo taken and was it recent? I saw it from another person from a recent accident last month. Its a crazy photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive