U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,769,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Back when Pontiacs looked like Pontiacs and Fords looked like Fords!
I agree! I actually messed up on the year of the Ford... its actually a 1971 LTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Tennesseestorm, on your chevy, you should check the timing gear set. I've had them as much as 12 degrees off when the "dotS" were lined up !!! The cheaper timing sets come from china, indoneesia, or mexico, and the production "tolerances" might be the broached slot for your wooduff key as much as .080" !!!! Just to give you an idea, imagine .080" on a 360 degree wheel! Now add in the crankshaft key way placement of .080" (that was chevy's official tolerance) you could end up with the timing of the cam way off. But then it could just be it's a normal gutless small block chevy in too much car with a tall rear gear.
Thanks for that info. I will check it. I know its given me a fit over the past 2 years. I was told this car should roast the rear tires. It dont.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,036,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Ok well does this qualify as a classic?

Does in my book

Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,319,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

Thanks for that info. I will check it. I know its given me a fit over the past 2 years. I was told this car should roast the rear tires. It dont.
Is this the 402 bbc in your car? Did you ever check the timing and such i think i posted once?

FTW and I think I said this...built a 402 once, dropped it in my Chevelle....had some mad torque to it, would also roast tires too.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Is this the 402 bbc in your car? Did you ever check the timing and such i think i posted once?

FTW and I think I said this...built a 402 once, dropped it in my Chevelle....had some mad torque to it, would also roast tires too.
Yep, the 72 wagon has a 402. Yeah, we have checked the timing about 8 times... shows to be on the money, but most everyone seems to think its still off... its been pain in the neck I can tell you that.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,319,383 times
Wished you were closer i could probably get it running better for you. I can't remember is your 402 stock? Is it OG to the car it's in?

IDK how you have yours set up, but when i built my 402 I set the timing to 36 degrees advanced at 3k rpm, making sure the dizzy was done advancing by 3k. (it was) then I set the carb by changing jets and such. of course I did have a pretty big cam and a nice stall along with a low rear end gear to make it all work. I also did away with the b.s. TCS junk all GM mid and full size cars had from '70 to '74. The TCS was used to retard the ignition some until 3rd or 4th gear for emission purposes.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 AM

When ignition timing is set ok, but still a slow dog, I go back in and check the cam timing. It's a pain, but too many varibles to leave to chance.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
When ignition timing is set ok, but still a slow dog, I go back in and check the cam timing. It's a pain, but too many varibles to leave to chance.

Yeah, the engine is stock and is the original engine. Yeah, I think its something that so-called mechanic did wrong. If its something thats gonna require another teardown of the engine, I will probably have to sell it, because I dont know how to do it, nor can find any decent, reliable and reasonably priced mechanics and I paid that guy $450 to do this work. Cant afford anymore money into this car.

I have been getting alot of other info on the station wagon boards, people that knows these cars a little better, so trying some of that stuff out as well... it has everyone puzzled. Too bad no one is closer to help me out with it.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, the engine is stock and is the original engine. Yeah, I think its something that so-called mechanic did wrong. If its something thats gonna require another teardown of the engine, I will probably have to sell it, because I dont know how to do it, nor can find any decent, reliable and reasonably priced mechanics and I paid that guy $450 to do this work. Cant afford anymore money into this car.

I have been getting alot of other info on the station wagon boards, people that knows these cars a little better, so trying some of that stuff out as well... it has everyone puzzled. Too bad no one is closer to help me out with it.

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't say the "mechanic" really did anything wrong if he lined up the "dots" as is the normal repair shop way. I use a degree wheel, and dial indicator along with a piston stop that threads in the spark plug hole. This way I can find true tdc for the piston, and then dial in exact cam timing. Pain in the rear when the engine is in the car, and can take quite awhile, but it's the only positive way to know. Maybe I can see my niece in Greenville soon and swing over by you.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say the "mechanic" really did anything wrong if he lined up the "dots" as is the normal repair shop way. I use a degree wheel, and dial indicator along with a piston stop that threads in the spark plug hole. This way I can find true tdc for the piston, and then dial in exact cam timing. Pain in the rear when the engine is in the car, and can take quite awhile, but it's the only positive way to know. Maybe I can see my niece in Greenville soon and swing over by you.
No, this guy is someone my dad knows and he came to the house and installed the cam in my driveway... I know her didnt have any degree wheel or anything... he didnt check anything like that. I sent you a PM of a video of the car I took today of it straining to get out of the driveway. Some people seem to think that the carburator is shot causing this. I am trying to find a good one to put on it. We rebuilt this one, but it may be worn out.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,807,136 times
I used to have an MG Midget that looked almost exactly like this:

Mine was a '73 with the nasty-ass rubber bumpers, but I took those off and converted it to a chrome-bumper instead, and painted over the matte black lower body stripes. Fun little car! Swapped out the SU's for Webers... for a then-35 year old car, it hauled pretty good, and the handling??? Amazing.

Too bad that every time that you fired it up; drove it; parked it; then turned it off, you had to get into the engine bay and adjust something Someday, hopefully sooner than later, I'll get my hands on another one.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 09-10-2010 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive