Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times

Advertisements

The SHO is a decent car, and I was quite surprised when I drove a buddy's. However, while it's got power, and plenty of it, it in the overall sense doesn't really compare to the BMW. The finish inside is nicer. The paint is nicer. Overall the bells & whistles are roughly the same. The maintenance costs being included is a BIG plus, but if considered dollar for dollar the BMW needs more and costs more than a Ford...but not much more ($55 vs. $65/hr.).

The big thing for me, being as I have kids like you. Is the overall safety ranking and build quality that I know I'm getting with the BMW. That's where the two really separate in class. Don't get me wrong, the Ford is not a death trap by any means. But when it comes down to it, and that SUV is heading for you in a side impact collision in the real world...who do you want to trust your kids to? I would review the crash test data. While I'm a BMW guy or Mercedes to be honest, the 5-series leaves me a little apprehensive, but I know overall it's a quality design and it's fatality record from side impacts are encouraging. While the SHO gets high marks, higher than the BMW it's a new platform w/ not much data on it.

My $.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Id go with the SHO just for the simple fact that its different, and not every other mother drives one. Plus, having the advantage of AWD in inclement weather is a plus, and Im pretty sure the SHO will be cheaper to insure as well. I know the SHO cant live up to the BMW's build quality, but like you said, its still a very nice car, and has better performance to back it up. And if either car should need repairs, you wont have to sell your arms and legs to repair the Ford. ;-)

Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
As a BMW Z4 owner, I would say go with the SHO. More power, more torque, better looks IMHO, supporting American jobs (quality ones, like engineering), and it is cheaper both now and in the long run. This changes if you DIY (I did my own front brakes and saved $300 on labor and parts. I will do my own O2 sensors, and will save $200, and both are really easy to do).

Ford have really outdone themselves in the reliability and quality departments in the past 5 years. I think it will DEFINITELY be MUCH cheaper to maintain the SHO.

BMWs are notorious for being either reliable and well made or TERRIBLE reliability. The 5-series will cost you an arm and a leg beyond the 5 year warranty, unless you get the 10 year one.

You can also punish the SHO more because it is more of a sports car than the 5 series.

Don't get me wrong, driving my Z4 along and driving the various other bimmers I've loved them all. If given one I would defend it to the hilt. But would I buy another one, with my own money? No.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
All,
Thanks again for the posts. Last thing I intended was for peoples' opinions on these two cars to become the catalyst for an argument.

It turns out that after sitting in both cars, my wife likes the Taurus better. The BMW feels too much like a "sports car". I mentioned that my current vehicle is a Mustang, and she hates driving it because of the low to the ground feel. The SHO has a more upright feel in the driver seat that she appreciates.

I suppose I should take that into consideration when I pull the trigger on this deal.
that has always been my ultimate yardstick on if i should buy a particular car or not, and that is actually getting in and sitting in it, and driving it. and since you are married, and the wife will be driving the car, you have to take her views into account also. remember if mama aint happy, no one is happy.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Not at all, as I alluded in my quote, the BMW cars also have great reputations, are a prestigious, luxury brand, to many people are a status symbol, and are fine machines. And nowhere did I make criticisms of those that buy them, my criticism is that experience from a model over a decade ago is not valid for either manufacturer now.

The question was why I would choose one car over the other and I merely gave my reasoning. I feel you simply thought I had the wrong tone with my message and that's not the case because I was just trying to be helpful in bringing up the reasons I would choose one car over the other. Buying an American car is a big selling point for me, and the argument was previously brought up regarding choosing a BMW and never again buying an American car. I was offering the other half of the debate. If there was something else I said that you feel is an incorrect generalization, just let me know and I'll fully explain the message I was trying to get across. I simply feel the SHO offers more and the BMW tries to make up for it with its nameplate and reputation as the "ultimate driving machine."

As for maintenance, 10-12K oil changes is pretty standard for highway miles, but it is tight in respect to the fact that it should be adhered to in every aspect of the maintenance schedule because of the consequences of a part failure. If you neglect maintenance or do something else to invalidate your warranty and it's not covered, or if the warranty is expired, you will be stuck with a very large repair bill. $150/hr at the local independent import repair shop in my area for labor alone while the shop I go to next to it is about 1/3 that. The total maintenance cost of a vehicle over the life of it is something that should at least be considered IMO also, and another selling point for me. No offense at all to BMW or their owners, I would just prefer to go with the SHO based on those points and the offered features.

Edit Added: On the other hand and just as you said, there have been a few posters dismissing the Taurus SHO and giving negatives based on generalization of the Taurus name, and I feel that is incorrect. It is only fair to give the other side of the argument which I have not otherwise seen posted on the thread.

To the OP, best of luck in your decision and I'm sure either model will serve you well for years to come. Enjoy the test drives!
I might've gotten the tone in your post a little wrong then.

I actually quite like the new Taurus in many ways. I think it shows in design etc that it's not a car that originally aims to compete with the BMW 5 series, but never mind that. I do hope the OP comes to a conclusion he's happy with, and the only reason I did comment on your post, is that BMW's often times get dealt an unwarranted bad reputation, which I don't think it deserves.

I'm sure the Taurus SHO is an accomplished vehicle, and if the OP choses it, he'll probably not be disappointed.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Everyone in Cali drives a BMW or Mec. Boring!

I would wait for the 2011 Dodge Charger to be released in a couple of months. The exterior will be refreshed with a much better interior. Plus the 5.7 V8 will be over 360HP, and RWD will be fun and less maintenance. Should also be a good $10k cheaper than the SHO. BUT if you have that kind of money to spend, the SRT8 verison will be over 450HP

$50k+ for a 240hp BMW? ROFLMAO!! As the old saying goes, if they slapped a BMW badge on a pile of shxt, people would buy it!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Many who buy a BMW, or plan on it doesn't care one bit about any brand reputation, or status that comes with it. Especially when it comes to the BMW enthusiasts it's purely a matter of appreciating a great ride and a great build quality. I've never been in a car that rides like a BMW, with it's perfect compromise between sport and cruiser (luxury) it truly is the greatest driving machine.
I'll challenge you to a lap around any technical course versus my S2000 and see if you still think so when you meet me at the end

Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'll challenge you to a lap around any technical course versus my S2000 and see if you still think so when you meet me at the end
M3? Deal. Ill bring my lounge chairs so the driver of the M3 can relax at the finish line while you finish up your laps.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Everyone in Cali drives a BMW or Mec. Boring!

I would wait for the 2011 Dodge Charger to be released in a couple of months. The exterior will be refreshed with a much better interior. Plus the 5.7 V8 will be over 360HP, and RWD will be fun and less maintenance. Should also be a good $10k cheaper than the SHO. BUT if you have that kind of money to spend, the SRT8 verison will be over 450HP

$50k+ for a 240hp BMW? ROFLMAO!! As the old saying goes, if they slapped a BMW badge on a pile of shxt, people would buy it!
Only idiots base a vehicles worth simply on engine output. We'll see how the redesigned Charger turns out but the current one is awful to be in and drive.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
...right.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive