U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM

2,466 posts, read 3,047,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
Dawn doesn't hurt the paint. It does strip off all protectants and waxes though, so you need to make sure you put a layer of something (wax, polymer sealant, etc) on it after you do a Dawn wash. Don't use it for regular washes, just to strip before a good detail.
I agree... Use car wash stuff regularly, Dawn if you want to take off
the layers of previous "wax"; and an annual or, every couple year clay
bar day, doesn't hurt.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM

8,857 posts, read 15,790,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Personally I'm fanatical about keeping my car shiny and swirl-free. Some people may see it as frivolous and unnecessary but I like knowing that my car looks as good as it possibly can. It's a point of personal pride and also provides great satisfaction. And it just makes my day when people come up to me and say, "Your car looks brand new!"
Yup, the main thing that makes cars look bad nowadays is the swirls and spider web scratches that reflect the light. The only thing I have found that can help this is glaze which fills in the scratches, but of course this needs to be protected with a layer of wax.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 9,539,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The point is that soaps made for cars are supposed to NOT strip off teh old wax. He apparently WANTS to get rid of the wax and contaminants before starting a detailing regime, so in tis case, Dawn will work better than automotive soaps. After it's detailed, then he can use specific automotive cleaners.
But why use something that is harmful to many automotive surfaces when you can do it the right way and be safe?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

4,734 posts, read 5,106,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
But why use something that is harmful to many automotive surfaces when you can do it the right way and be safe?
Because the "right" automotive soap does not take off the contaminants and wax, as he wants to do.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Because the "right" automotive soap does not take off the contaminants and wax, as he wants to do.
I know that. That's why I recommended a clay bar and/or a product like Klasse AIO.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM

4,734 posts, read 5,106,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I know that. That's why I recommended a clay bar and/or a product like Klasse AIO.
I'd remove the old wax and dirt and grime before doing a clay bar. Clay bars will remove dirt baked into the paint surface and blemishes, but using it to remove years of old wax and road grime is a waste of clay. As he says, he already HAS the clay bar and protectants/waxes for afterwards. Dawn will not hurt to get off the stuff BEFORE using the clay and the rest of it.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 PM

860 posts, read 1,842,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yup, the main thing that makes cars look bad nowadays is the swirls and spider web scratches that reflect the light. The only thing I have found that can help this is glaze which fills in the scratches, but of course this needs to be protected with a layer of wax.
If you have them correctly (key word) polished out, following a strict and proper washing technique will help keep new swirls at bay. The kind of wash and investment you need, however, is not one that many people have the drive to get into or stick with.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'd remove the old wax and dirt and grime before doing a clay bar.
You should wash the car before claying, yes.

Quote:
Clay bars will remove dirt baked into the paint surface and blemishes, but using it to remove years of old wax and road grime is a waste of clay.
Then use any of the products out on the market made specifically for that purpose and that are safe for automotive use. If he's using any kind of paint cleaner or polish, that alone will do the job.

Also, Dawn will not remove synthetic sealants. Just carnuba wax.

Quote:
Dawn will not hurt to get off the stuff BEFORE using the clay and the rest of it.
95% of legitimate detailers will tell you otherwise.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:09 PM

3,791 posts, read 4,911,261 times
I was told that Dawn strips off all old layers of sealer, wax, polish, etc, down to the clear-coat. Is this not correct? Here is what I was intending to do:

1. Wash with Dawn to strip off every layer of wax, etc
2. Clay bar
3. Sealer
4. Wax

Then on normal washes, switch over to Mothers California Gold wash soap. As for claying the old layers of wax off, the hell with that if I can do it with Dawn. That would take a massive amount of clay. I just wondered if Dawn would eat into the paint and/or clear-coat. Thanks to all who responded and once again, I will NOT be using Dawn on a weekly basis.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I was told that Dawn strips off all old layers of sealer, wax, polish, etc, down to the clear-coat. Is this not correct? Here is what I was intending to do:
It will remove the carnuba wax. Most sealants will withstand it without much trouble. Polishes don't hang around on the paint. They do their job and then the remnants are buffed away.

Quote:
As for claying the old layers of wax off, the hell with that if I can do it with Dawn. That would take a massive amount of clay.
It's not going to require anymore clay than you would normally need.

Quote:
I just wondered if Dawn would eat into the paint and/or clear-coat. Thanks to all who responded and once again, I will NOT be using Dawn on a weekly basis.
As I said earlier, it's not so much the paint and clear coat that you need to worry about, it's the plastic, vinyl and rubber trims that Dawn will damage. That's why I suggested using products that were safe or could easily be kept away from those pieces.

If you're absolutely hell bent on just washing the old wax away, use Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash+Gloss. It will strip off the old wax without killing your trim.

Car Wash Shampoo is a gentle-cleansing liquid gel car wash Car Wash Shampoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive