Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

I finally got my order in of all Mothers products, clay kit, glaze, wax, etc, but first I need to strip off the crap the dealer put on. I hear that Dawn soap takes off all wax, sealers, etc. My question is, how bad will it hurt the clear coat layer or the paint? I will only be using Dawn this time to strip the waxes off and use the Mothers wash the rest of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Nope. I use Dawn all the time when prepping cars for clay, correction, and protection. It's a great sealant stripper that leaves the finish untouched. I wouldn't use it all the time, though.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Strips all the wax off...don't know why it would affect the paint.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
It's not so much that's it's bad for the paint, but high alkaline soaps like Dawn are very harsh on exterior plastic and rubber pieces. Never a good thing.

If you want to remove the old wax, the clay bar will do most of the trick. Then you can spray down the car with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) diluted 1:1 and that will take care of the surface prep. Klasse All-in-One also works very well for stripping old wax.

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Auto Polish, Klasse All In One, klasse aio, Acrylic polish

Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I;m old school "if it aint broke dont fix it" i've noticed that new cars today can keep a showroom shine on them with nothing more than an occasional wash and wax so i dont see the need for this major detailing you are about to undertake, you realize of course as a novice when it comes to detailing you could screw it up and then have to take it to a professional to get back to square one, lets hope it all works out fine..
Some before and after pics would be interesting..
Have you done some research on APC ?
http://www.ehow.com/how_5967526_keep-shine-new-car.html

Good luck

Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 AM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Dawn doesn't hurt the paint. It does strip off all protectants and waxes though, so you need to make sure you put a layer of something (wax, polymer sealant, etc) on it after you do a Dawn wash. Don't use it for regular washes, just to strip before a good detail.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 PM

290 posts, read 921,331 times
If it wasn't made for the paint, I wouldn't use it.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 AM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I;m old school "if it aint broke dont fix it" i've noticed that new cars today can keep a showroom shine on them with nothing more than an occasional wash and wax so i dont see the need for this major detailing you are about to undertake, you realize of course as a novice when it comes to detailing you could screw it up and then have to take it to a professional to get back to square one, lets hope it all works out fine..
Personally I'm fanatical about keeping my car shiny and swirl-free. Some people may see it as frivolous and unnecessary but I like knowing that my car looks as good as it possibly can. It's a point of personal pride and also provides great satisfaction. And it just makes my day when people come up to me and say, "Your car looks brand new!"

Old 08-23-2010, 05:05 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Would you use laundry soap to take a bath? I try not to be cheap and use soap that's made to be used for cars. Just me.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:33 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Would you use laundry soap to take a bath? I try not to be cheap and use soap that's made to be used for cars. Just me.
The point is that soaps made for cars are supposed to NOT strip off teh old wax. He apparently WANTS to get rid of the wax and contaminants before starting a detailing regime, so in tis case, Dawn will work better than automotive soaps. After it's detailed, then he can use specific automotive cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive