U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:13 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,524,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Autozone has something they can hook up and read what's wrong with a car?

Cool. I need to get one of those.
Listen, numbnuts, the idea is that the OP can go to Autozone, for free, and get a readout of the codes that are causing the check engine light to go on. In some cases that can tell you the problem right off the bat, and in others, it can at least lead you to the system that is affected so that someone with more knowledge of his car's make, model, and year can determine the most likely cause of the check engine light.

For example, a code for the cam position sensor usually means simply change that sensor. A code for a lean condition can mean anything from a leak in the intake boot to leaking intake manifold gaskets, to a fuel filter that's clogged and reducing fuel pressure slightly.

But knowing the codes, for FREE, can start the process of narrowing it down. Since most car owners don't have an OBD or OBDII code reader, it's actually helpful information to post, unlike your drivel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,336,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Just realize that the code will tell you the systemic failure (EGR circuit, MAF circuit, etc.) i.e. the part that is being affected by the problem. I'm a dealer parts guy, and people are always bring in a slip from AutoZone asking for "the" part.

It's often not that simple, and you can spend a lot of money on non-returnable parts finding that out.
Here's my experience and I'll tell you that in my case it really wasn't as easy as just getting the correct code in a scan-tool.
If you have time, watch the video and you'll get an idea of how much can be involved in just "chasing down" a code!

YouTube - Evaporative Emissions Check Engine Light

Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,385,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
yes he is being sarcastic, anytime i make a comment in this forum he attacks me, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my steel toed boots.
Lighten up Chilli Boy.

It's funny how you think running to Autozone and getting the codes read by a counter guy is in any way helpful to a diagnosis prior to taking a car in for repairs. Do you really think a technician is going to give a damn what Azone thinks the problem might be, because of what their code reader said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Listen, numbnuts, the idea is that the OP can go to Autozone, for free, and get a readout of the codes that are causing the check engine light to go on. In some cases that can tell you the problem right off the bat, and in others, it can at least lead you to the system that is affected so that someone with more knowledge of his car's make, model, and year can determine the most likely cause of the check engine light.

For example, a code for the cam position sensor usually means simply change that sensor. A code for a lean condition can mean anything from a leak in the intake boot to leaking intake manifold gaskets, to a fuel filter that's clogged and reducing fuel pressure slightly.

But knowing the codes, for FREE, can start the process of narrowing it down. Since most car owners don't have an OBD or OBDII code reader, it's actually helpful information to post, unlike your drivel.
Numbnuts? LOL Haven't heard that since the 7th grade.

Thanks for the lessons, but I know about codes and how to diagnose CELs. Been doing this for a while. And also take every opportunity to discourage anyone from going to Autozone to have codes read. There have been many dollars wasted due to their free service.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM

968 posts, read 2,105,112 times
Quote:
Lighten up Chilli Boy.

It's funny how you think running to Autozone and getting the codes read by a counter guy is in any way helpful to a diagnosis prior to taking a car in for repairs. Do you really think a technician is going to give a damn what Azone thinks the problem might be, because of what their code reader said?

Numbnuts? LOL Haven't heard that since the 7th grade.

Thanks for the lessons, but I know about codes and how to diagnose CELs. Been doing this for a while. And also take every opportunity to discourage anyone from going to Autozone to have codes read. There have been many dollars wasted due to their free service.
wow your ignorance knows no bounds.

a good technician will take the information into consideration while running his own tests. and if one tech is pulling your leg for more money, that code will be the second opinion, and then you can shop around for a smarter tech.

and if that tech isn't giving a damn about the information he can get from the customer, he's gonna **** up a car or two, and i have a pretty good feeling that you've done that.

thats like going to a doctor and not telling him you have heart palpatations and then he orders a stress test on you. its stupid not to get multiple opinions and inform yourself and your tech of everything.

i think you've embarassed yourself enough on this thread. its time to take the high road and save your dignity.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,573,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Here's my experience and I'll tell you that in my case it really wasn't as easy as just getting the correct code in a scan-tool.
If you have time, watch the video and you'll get an idea of how much can be involved in just "chasing down" a code!

YouTube - Evaporative Emissions Check Engine Light
I work in a dealership, I know...

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,573,726 times
Quote:
There have been many dollars wasted due to their free service.
That's the point I was trying to make, but then again those dollars have often gone into my pocket in the form of electrical parts that didn't fix their problem.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,385,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
wow your ignorance knows no bounds.

a good technician will take the information into consideration while running his own tests. and if one tech is pulling your leg for more money, that code will be the second opinion, and then you can shop around for a smarter tech.

and if that tech isn't giving a damn about all the information he can get, he's gonna **** up a car or two, and i dont' doubt that you have.
thats like going to a doctor and not telling him you have heart palpatations and then he orders a stress test on you. its stupid not to get multiple opinions and inform yourself and your tech of everything.

i think you've embarassed yourself enough on this thread. its time to take the high road and save your dignity.
A good tech will ignore the hacks at Autozone and make his own diagnosis. As far as getting your leg pulled for more money, are you gonna trust a counter guy over a good tech?

See the thing is, you don't understand that a code is just the beginning of the diagnosis and doesn't even come close to telling you what the problem actually is.

And no, if you want to make a fair comparison then it's more like going to the doctor and telling him the lady behind the cash register at the drugstore said here's what she thinks is wrong with me.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM

968 posts, read 2,105,112 times
Quote:
A good tech will ignore the hacks at Autozone and make his own diagnosis. As far as getting your leg pulled for more money, are you gonna trust a counter guy over a good tech?

See the thing is, you don't understand that a code is just the beginning of the diagnosis and doesn't even come close to telling you what the problem actually is.

And no, if you want to make a fair comparison then it's more like going to the doctor and telling him the lady behind the cash register at the drugstore said here's what she thinks is wrong with me.
so you're saying just throw all other opinions out the window and go with what your repair man is saying no matter what he says...real smart, theres at least 60 other people who do their own car repairs on this forum who i would love to see disagree with your disparagement of autozone employees.

yes some come from mcdonalds but the good ones love cars and understand what it takes to properly repair one, but i've seen one too many repair shops try and replace perfectly good parts just for the pay day.

so excuse me if i take my car, my body, and my finances more seriously and stay prepared with a second opinion.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM

892 posts, read 1,852,636 times
Sometimes unhooking the battery will clear a code if it's not something that's broken. Example: I unplugged a ignition switch plug in a new jeep and it set a engine code. After I was done with my job I put it back togeter and put the battery back on and the code was cleared. But if a sensor is broken it will of course make the light come back on.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,347,018 times
well this thread certainly got interesting fast .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive