U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,129,150 times

Advertisements

I'll second the 3/4 ton Suburban recommendation. Mine is far better than most pick-ups and will just keep going through the snow. Started off life in Caribou, ME and now resides on the West side of Michigan. It has seen some serious snow in it's life and has only gotten stuck once (don't ask it is better that way ). Where I got stuck, I knew it might but I just had to play a "little" more. Took a decent sized tractor to dig it out in the end. Even with "the Beast" dedicated snow tires makes a world of difference. Had the BFG Mud Terrains for a time, but a set of heavy duty true snow tires will run circles around them in deep snow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM

747 posts, read 2,209,252 times
If you can drive a stick, 5sp manual 4runners are another platform that probably don't draw too many used car buyers. You could probably negotiate hard if you found someone who's been unable to sell one for a while. Whatever you get, remember this about tires (and since you'll drive so little, in terms of miles, I wouldn't even worry about the reduced longevity):

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Big fat tires like the ones shown in the second post of this thread are made more for driving through mud and sand, but they aren't as good as skinny tires in the snow. The tires in the second post look great, but they will tend to float above the snow. A skinny tire will dig down through the snow to the ground underneath and provide better traction.

A snow tire will perform better than an all terrain tire in the snow, but if you do a lot of dry pavement driving with your snow vehicle those snow tires won't last nearly as long as an all terrain tire.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
If you can drive a stick, 5sp manual 4runners are another platform that probably don't draw too many used car buyers. You could probably negotiate hard if you found someone who's been unable to sell one for a while. Whatever you get, remember this about tires (and since you'll drive so little, in terms of miles, I wouldn't even worry about the reduced longevity):

Manual 4Runners draw premium price. Even a prerunner from the late 80's will bring a couple thousand dollars. These are really popular trucks and are no bargain. The only 4Runners that go begging are those soccer mom laded ones with the TV camera in the back and LCD in the cockpit, etc.

I don;t think you could find a 5 speed 4runner in any condition for less than about $3000 unless its a complete munter. Whereas you could buy a 90's Jeep Cherokee for $1000 all day.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
That may be true but does not make the Jeep a better bargain, given equal condition the 4Runner will burn a lot less gas and probably require fewer repairs (although granted Toy genuine OEM parts are quite spendy - you don't need them often, but when you have to buy them they do cost)

People tend to forget that fuel costs are 80-90% of your per-mile costs for a fully depreciated vehicle, 5 years down the road you are money ahead to have paid $3K for a good small truck than to have driven a free Suburban. Do the math and you will see what I mean.

That's not to trash-talk the people who have a Suburban and actually take advantage of it's size and power, think it's safer in a crash (almost certainly it is) or just plain prefer it.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,006,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That may be true but does not make the Jeep a better bargain, given equal condition the 4Runner will burn a lot less gas and probably require fewer repairs (although granted Toy genuine OEM parts are quite spendy - you don't need them often, but when you have to buy them they do cost)
What MPG's do the 4Runners typically get? Amongst 7 of my friends there are 9 late 80's to mid 90's 4x4 Cherokees that get 18-24 mpg out of the 4.0's I don't think that is too shabby.

Again, I can't speak for the 4Runners but the Cherokees are damn near bulletproof and when something does go you have the assurance that its a dirt cheap replacement good for another long service life.

What I don't like about the Cherokees is the unibody design and fit and finish generally leaves something to be desired, but it's a Jeep, supposed to be that way.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What MPG's do the 4Runners typically get? Amongst 7 of my friends there are 9 late 80's to mid 90's 4x4 Cherokees that get 18-24 mpg out of the 4.0's I don't think that is too shabby.

Again, I can't speak for the 4Runners but the Cherokees are damn near bulletproof and when something does go you have the assurance that its a dirt cheap replacement good for another long service life.

What I don't like about the Cherokees is the unibody design and fit and finish generally leaves something to be desired, but it's a Jeep, supposed to be that way.
Those are good points all. A Cherokee, as opposed to a Grand Cherokee, say with the 4.0 and a 5-speed, and particularly with the better version of full-time 4WD they made for a while anyway, is a good truck.

They do take a little more "fiddling" than a Toyota though - depending on how handy one is, this may or may not be an issue.

I remember the older 80's 4Runners getting into the low 30's for MPG.

That said, if the OP is going to use this truck as a secondary vehicle and not rack up a lot of miles, at some point a low purchase price trumps per mile cost.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM

I have two Cherokees, the one pictured above and a stock 5 speed 99 Cherokee Sport. I don't think you will get 18-24 mpg from a 5 speed 4.0. More like 15-18. And, the SR5 is not stingy on the gas either. Everone I know that has one complains that they are gas hogs. The very best Toyota motor was the 22RE. I gave my 1991 5 speed 22re pickup to my son and he drives nicer than I do and gets 30mpg.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I have two Cherokees, the one pictured above and a stock 5 speed 99 Cherokee Sport. I don't think you will get 18-24 mpg from a 5 speed 4.0. More like 15-18. And, the SR5 is not stingy on the gas either. Everone I know that has one complains that they are gas hogs. The very best Toyota motor was the 22RE. I gave my 1991 5 speed 22re pickup to my son and he drives nicer than I do and gets 30mpg.
IMHO 30 MPG is good for any 4WD truck. I agree the 22RE is the one to get, it can have issues with the timing chain sawing it's way into the water jacket at mega-mileage, and while it's not a 20 minute job it's not a job that will eat up 6 month's worth of weekends either if a guy knows what he's doing (so I hear - I have never done this particular repair)

15-18 is about what a buddy's Cherokee gets, his is AT so I would think a 5-speed might do better.

When you are actually *using* a 4WD setup you can get some really low MPG numbers, like 7 to 9, if you are going through the woods or mud. You have to pay attention or you will be in for a long hike with a jerry can.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:05 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Those are good points all. A Cherokee, as opposed to a Grand Cherokee, say with the 4.0 and a 5-speed, and particularly with the better version of full-time 4WD they made for a while anyway, is a good truck.

They do take a little more "fiddling" than a Toyota though - depending on how handy one is, this may or may not be an issue.

I remember the older 80's 4Runners getting into the low 30's for MPG.

That said, if the OP is going to use this truck as a secondary vehicle and not rack up a lot of miles, at some point a low purchase price trumps per mile cost.
I agree a 1990's-00's cherokee with the 4.0 liter HO would be the way to go for what it is being used for..something like this would work great

forrset conservation officers use these jeeps up in the woods. so they must be pretty decent off road and confortable at the same time to be used up in the woods by them.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM

I think there are two really good recommendations on the table here, my suggestion of a 4x4 K2500 Burb, the king of snow vehicles, and the 4.0 Cherokee. I would say that an AT is just as good as a manual in the snow and better off road. Gas mileage no so much.

If you ever have to pull someone out of a snow drift, the Burb is the tool to use. Practically all that matters is total weight of the recovery vehicle compared to the stuck vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive