U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,235,508 times

Advertisements

Unless your a construction worker or something similar there is no reason to have anything bigger than a Ranger or S10. Period. Or if you have a big ego that needs to be fed. As far as SUV's, some people just feel they need all that steel to "protect" their precious family, but 9 times out of 10 those big SUV's get worse crash ratings than smaller ones like the CRV or the Escape. Who knows, status is a big thing here in the US of A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM

968 posts, read 2,099,286 times
2010 Ford Ranger Truck | Sturdy, Robust & Capable Pickups Built Ford Tough | FordVehicles.com

Ford Ranger - the powerful and reliable pick-up from Ford.

why should we bother to buy smaller pickups if they suck, case in point the 2010 Ranger for the States vs the 2010 Ranger for the UK

Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,987,670 times
Life's not about the destination but about the ride and the view is great from my lifted up beast of a truck

Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,922,691 times
I am included in the segment of folks who buy a truck simply because they want one. Do I need to have a practical purpose for purchasing a truck? As long as I'm the one footing the gas money, insurance, and purchase price...nobody else should really care. I bought my F-150 because its big and comfortable...not because I care what others think of me.

And for the person who said truck drivers are low class and unintelligent, I'm an engineer for a defense company. Not exactly a job that any average Joe can excel at.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM

8,577 posts, read 13,458,134 times
I am just one of those examples, I drive a Dodge mega cab diesel, and love it. yes , I have a trailer, a 22' flat bed. I use it a lot, as I am building a house. I would find it hard to get by without it.
That said , on long trips , nothing rides better, holds the road better, can carry all the "stuff" we buy , trade, sell, and collect. There is nothing worse than seeing a poor soul struguling down the road in a Bronco with a trailer in tow, overloaded, and endangering themselves and everyone else on the highway.... Around town , I hop into the Toyota FJ as well as off road , . You use your Iron , you abuse it also , but , nothings worse than being underpowered, and under rated...for the job.... When we go to Chicago, even not with the trailer , we take the truck ,cause , you never know , and cause its safer for sure as well as makes for a great highway cruser. All the big cars have long ago hit the junk yards...except , maybe a Suburban, and I have owned many of them over the years also.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,011,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I don't understand the appeal of the pick-up for nonfunctional use since they are probably the most ill-handling and unbalanced platform on the market. I just assume that the people who drive them 99% of the time with empty beds are either immature, low class and/or just not all that bright.
I have a 3/4 ton diesel and an electrical engineering degree. And yes, I am trying to compensate for something. It's called rising fuel costs.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,340,306 times
I have a Ford Explorer and it is used as a work truck each day. I used to use a large Bronco for a truck and before that a Blazer. Tinted windows and you can not tell I am carrying 800 pounds of tools in the back. I wish I could have bought this one in diesel.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,618,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I don't understand the appeal of the pick-up for nonfunctional use since they are probably the most ill-handling and unbalanced platform on the market. I just assume that the people who drive them 99% of the time with empty beds are either immature, low class and/or just not all that bright.
A modern half-ton is not ill-handling nor unbalanced. They don't ride as well as most sedans, but they are quite nice now.

You "just assume" the drivers are immature, low class.... What does class have to do with it? What does a high class person drive?

In Texas pickups are very popular and people use them as daily drivers. Many get used as trucks only for the weekend Home Depot run. I see trucks widely used by outdoors oriented people - a truck bed can easily hold three or four mountain bikes without a roof rack. The truck can navigate easily on a trail because of the ground clearance. And those mountain bikes stay in an area you can clean with a hose.

Many Texas people have ranching or rural living in their history. They grew up driving trucks and just like them. What's wrong with that?

A 2010 Ford F150 with the 4.6L 3 valve V8 has EPA ratings of 15/21 in 2WD models. Not bad at all when a Range Rover LR4 V8 is rated for 12/17.

A Mercedes S550 sedan is rated for 14/21 MPG. Is this a suitable car for high class people? Yet it uses more fuel.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,201,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Unless your a construction worker or something similar there is no reason to have anything bigger than a Ranger or S10. Period.
As an owner of a S-10, I can say there are good reasons.

- Bed size. DIY-er wants to get a small stack of 4x8 in the bed? Nope, it can't, as it's too narrow between the wheel wells and the bed is too short; it's going to have to stick up and out.
- Power. With the 2.2L, there is none. 0-60 is measured on a sundial. Much better with the 4.3L, but then, the fuel economy isn't significantly better than the full-size.
- Towing. Mine's is rated for all of 2,000 lbs.
- Comfort. Umm, it's a S10 ...

Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
As an owner of a S-10, I can say there are good reasons.

- Bed size. DIY-er wants to get a small stack of 4x8 in the bed? Nope, it can't, as it's too narrow between the wheel wells and the bed is too short; it's going to have to stick up and out.
- Power. With the 2.2L, there is none. 0-60 is measured on a sundial. Much better with the 4.3L, but then, the fuel economy isn't significantly better than the full-size.
- Towing. Mine's is rated for all of 2,000 lbs.
- Comfort. Umm, it's a S10 ...
also the price differance between a ranger/S-10 and base full size F-150/chevy 1500 is not that big of a differance.

I mean even new a full size 1/2 ton truck is just around $1500-$2000 more over a colorado or ranger. so it makes sense to spend the extra bit of $$ to get the larger truck in most cases. also with the larger truck you get better payload, ride and performance and better bed and cab configurations not avalible on the smaller 1/4 ton trucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive