U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 PM

32,361 posts, read 39,631,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Unless your a construction worker or something similar there is no reason to have anything bigger than a Ranger or S10. Period. Or if you have a big ego that needs to be fed. As far as SUV's, some people just feel they need all that steel to "protect" their precious family, but 9 times out of 10 those big SUV's get worse crash ratings than smaller ones like the CRV or the Escape. Who knows, status is a big thing here in the US of A.

And you base that observation on?

Guess you've never tried to haul a couple dozen full body goose decoys, decoy cart and layout blinds. Won't fit in a Ranger or S-10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM

8,578 posts, read 13,525,028 times
The P/U trucks of today are a far cry from the days past. Even the most simple trucks , like the Toyota HyLux I bought new in 1969 cause 1800.00 was the cheapest transportation I could find.
The fact is , they cost less to make, the Auto Companies make more on the new loaded pick-ups and the SUVs ( which are takeoffs anyway) than they do on cars. The big reason we have the big SUV and the loaded P/U is profit for the MFG, bottom line.
A good example is the Suburban, been around a long time , and it works. When was the last time you saw a stripped down example ? Somewhere along the line the GM guys saw a big profit, and they expanded on it. Its still the best out there, providing inside hauling and still can carry the load, but , these days , at a price ! The loaded P/U will do the same thing , but without the protected comfort. If I were to get rid of my diesel Dodge , I would get another Suburban, once again, but only when I did not need the 22' trailer anymore. My Dodge listed out in 07 at 53,000, way too much for a truck, but , I DO use it , several times a week, and that is worth it ....for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive