U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,511,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I've never been to Cali so I can't really say...but looking thru the Craigslist ad's that Merc63 posted, it appears that Oregon and Washington both have some nice older classics that the prices seemed too good to be true. What some of the prices were on some of those 1970 vehicles you'd easy pay double that around where I used to live in N.C.....of course provided the cars in the ads themselves aren't really bondo buckets.
Generally the cars in the ads I posted are not bondo buckets, as they won't have been rusty. It's very typical up there to see 30-40 year old daily drivers that are unrestored, and the prices are low as the supply is relatively high in comparison (though certain cars have become desirable over the years anyhow, even if they are relatively available). The roads aren't salted over there, and there's little humidity, so even with the rain of western Washington, the worst that happens is mold and mildew. With a couple of exceptions (Fiats and Lancias of that time fram were made with poor grade Russian steel that rusted even when new, and for some reason Toyota pickup beds still rusted out quickly).

It's funny, as I used to do restorations on older cars there, and built up a number of customs from cheap older cars, and what we used to consider severely rusted, only good for parts or scrap, would be considered clean fresh sheetmetal on a showroom condition car over here on the east coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:13 PM

8,578 posts, read 13,477,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Generally the cars in the ads I posted are not bondo buckets, as they won't have been rusty. It's very typical up there to see 30-40 year old daily drivers that are unrestored, and the prices are low as the supply is relatively high in comparison (though certain cars have become desirable over the years anyhow, even if they are relatively available). The roads aren't salted over there, and there's little humidity, so even with the rain of western Washington, the worst that happens is mold and mildew. With a couple of exceptions (Fiats and Lancias of that time fram were made with poor grade Russian steel that rusted even when new, and for some reason Toyota pickup beds still rusted out quickly).

It's funny, as I used to do restorations on older cars there, and built up a number of customs from cheap older cars, and what we used to consider severely rusted, only good for parts or scrap, would be considered clean fresh sheetmetal on a showroom condition car over here on the east coast!
Maybe part of the problem with the Toyota P/U beds is they were made in California. The trucks came over complete except for the beds, that way they could be considered parts , and not be subject to the quota.
People in the NW have always been savers also. Lots of parts laying around in back yards and farms. Some of that stems from in the far past, not being able to get things as the Pacific NW was sort of off the trade routes.... Always took a back seat to Calif..... until everyone started moving up there and not just from the Southern parts of the West Coast. The Pacific NW is full of Midwesterners and Easterners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or