U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,549,460 times

Advertisements

I just replaced my front brakes (rotors, pads) in June. I get somewhat of a scraping sensor sound when i brake backing up but not when i brake going forward

the rears were last done in 1999

i have a 92 Toyota tercel. does the sensor noise also apply to the rear brakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,628,032 times
I assume that car has rear drum brakes. It has been some time since I worked on drum brakes but it makes sense that it would generate a sound when the pads are worn.

It is a bit surprising that the rear brakes weren't checked when you had the fronts serviced.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM

Default they were checked

when the fronts were replaced and Midas told me the rears were OK. maybe 3 months did it?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,750,303 times
If these are like the rear drums on my 87 Camry, you only need to remove the road wheel and the drum will then (assuming it's not stuck and hte brakes are not over-adjusted tight) (remember to release the hand brake) the drums will pull straight off. I don't recall any sort of retaining screw like many discs, particularly German disc brakes, have.

As you know I'm one of the primary trash talkers about brake/muffler/tire chains, my recommendation is that you can get better work for less money with an independent mechanic. Toyota makes really excellent brake shoes and pads, they perform very well in the typical service these cars get. That said any good name brand high quality brake shoes are fine.

It's up to you if you want to change the rear slave cylinders or not. The argument for changing them is while the brake shoes are off the backing plate it's easier to do, and that new cylinders are not likely to start leaking during the service life of the shoes. The argument against is that if the cylinders are in good shape, and particularly if you have changed the brake fluid about every 2 years as it should be done, they simply don't need to be replaced.

Try this - back up a bit and stop the car with just the hand brake. That will use only the rear brakes - if you hear the scraping sound, stands to reason that the rear brakes are making the sound. This is not 100% since you can develop a bit of backpressure against the front discs as well in some systems, but the handbrake only directly actuates the rear brakes.

In any case either you or a shop can pull a drum and take a look, any decent shop can do this while you wait, unless they are snowed under with other work. With a lift and an air gun to take the lugs off it's very quick and easy.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM

Default thanks-

I use Midas because i have warranty cards for the brakes, and my front brakes installed by Midas in 2004 lasted almost 6 years

Old 08-24-2010, 05:37 PM

Default i have a stack of Midas

cards that i use for exhaust parts, brakes, struts, just in the habit of going to them because of that

Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,750,303 times
Well, if you have had good luck with them, go there I guess. Not every shop of every chain is bad, just most of them can be beat by an indy shop IMHO.

You can't really rate brakes by how many years they last - utterly depends on your driving style, where you drive, what you drive, etc. etc. I get mega miles out of a set of brake pads but I drive on rural backroads almost exclusively. If I drove in Seattle a lot, with all the hills and lights, I could not get near the miles that I do here.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Default could also be an adjustment

needed. 2 years ago i got the sensor scrape sound, took it in, told the brakes were OK and they did an adjustment and the scraping sound stopped

in any case i'm going to Midas Friday to check it out

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,017,861 times
I'm confused on what you mean by "sensor" scrape sound. Are you referring to the metal tabs that contact the rotor when the pads are worn down? Drums typically don't have pad thickness indication components like that. They won't screech like disc setups but they will make quite an unfriendly sound.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Default not a screech

but when you apply the brakes a noticeable (not loud) light rhythmic scraping metal to metal noise and when my car needed front pads, rotors, even when i did not brake i heard the sound. probably the metal tabs as you say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive