U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,371,764 times

Advertisements

I run Mobil 1 full syn oil in my motorcycle with that brand and type of gear oil in the final drive too. I like it very well. I just make sure since there is a wet clutch that no bottles of engine oil say "EC" on the lable which would cause a wet clutch to slip.

I don't try to get the use of all of every bit of that oil either and so change both each 3,000 miles like clock work. I expect this bike to be the last newish bike I ever have. Winter hit my money tree a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,563,624 times
I just ordered the Mobil 1. A major online retailer (it's an easy guess who it it) is offereing free shipping and a mail in rebate of up to $15 back. I jumped at it.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times
I would change your oil filter too go for a fram or K&N

Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,563,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would change your oil filter too go for a fram or K&N
I ordered a Wix with it. I've heard Fram sucks, although I can't tell you the difference in any of them.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 AM

IMO wix filters are the about the best you can get. And as well I am not fond of Fram a bit. I have had Fram filters go straight to Hell in a hand basket twice and both with in 20 minutes of the other.

Once that happens I never go back.

It isn't wise to use a tea bag twice, so I never use a oil filter twice either.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM

255 posts, read 688,513 times
Supposedly the factory oil helps the engine break in properly. Don't know in what ways that is but I've read it on other forums. I would just go by what the manual says. They wrote it in there for a reason right?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM

Hemi, that is a pretty nice wives tail over all. So is 'break in' which is written by lawyers who can't tell one end of a screw driver from the other. And in certain cases if the mom is followed to the leter you can in fact do damage to a engine. More or less this is with stick shift trannied engines where the rpm ranges is so low that the engine at break in is lugging, and building a nice fat layer of carbon in the combustion chambers and on the valves.

On such enngins where there is rpm controll and a tach to read it, the best break in is in a the power band, where there is power, and to vary that rpm with in reason most of the time, and or to just drive as you would in the first place.

Diving the engine as you will under normal for you, or any driver, and not doing much different will break that engine in for your personal style.

In most any mom there is a lot of BS written by lawyers.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:57 AM

4,116 posts, read 7,604,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
Supposedly the factory oil helps the engine break in properly. Don't know in what ways that is but I've read it on other forums. I would just go by what the manual says. They wrote it in there for a reason right?
Doing the mental Rolodex, I can't think of a modern car that comes with some "different/special/non-standard" oil that requires dumping early and,
refilling with a different oil, viscosity or species or, anything.

Some recent BMW M Cars still call for an early oil change, and some of those use a wide range viz of 10W-60, but that's an anomaly.

PCars come with Mobil 1, BMW with Castrol, Vettes with M1, et al, etc.
"Factory oil" is out of a bulk drum but, 99% of the time it's the same brand, species and viz that the car maker decided upon, via engineering,
marketing considerations, etc.

Break it in as Mac_Muz suggested, eg common sense, avoid short trips when brand new, try to avoid constant rpms for long stretches, etc.
These new cars are not fragile...
GL, mD

Old 08-28-2010, 05:44 PM

885 posts, read 1,954,260 times
Unless you enjoy spending more money then needed, your car will do fine the regular stuff that it came with. I know alot of folks enjoy shopping for this stuff, if you do, go for it! Get yourself a heavy hard cover note book, keep all receipts. Keep acccurate records like your doctor keeps on you. No dealer can void a warranty. That is up to the manufactor. Dealers actually warranty more things then they should. If you plan on modifying your new car, stop in and discuss this with the local dealership service manager. He may be able to advise you of something may cause you and HIM warranty problems.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 587 times
My husband is doing ours this weekend. We have a 2012 fusion. This will be our frist oil change. We are going by the book. Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or