U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,562,005 times

Advertisements

Our 2010 Fusion now has 1,200 miles on it and I am thinking of draining out that oil and putting in what I really want, Amsoil. My question is, how long does an engine take for break-in? According to the manual, the first oil change isn't until 7,500 miles, but I am NOT leaving the factory oil in that long. I was going to drain out the factory oil, put in the Amsoil and then change again at 7,500 miles and then go by the book.

My second question is, will changing your own oil void the warranty? I forgot to ask the dealer this. I like to change my own oil and basic maintenance. Saves some money and I can guarantee my own work. Should I keep all receipts in case?

Third question...K&N filter...worth the money?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
hmm I would get the first change done at the dealer so it is logged on their computer as being done. as for a K&N drop in air filter go for it dude only thing is I would wait till the factory filter needs replacing why waste money on something if it does not need fixing in the first place and still is still pretty much brand new.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,321,908 times
It is my understanding that a dealer must prove that your maintenance caused the issue. If you can prove everything was done on time, and within the requirements, you shouldn't have an issue. KEEP RECEIPTS.

Also, you should note ... that a new car warranty is a fluid idea. Dealers cannot void the ENTIRE warranty, just parts of it. For example, if you did your own oil change, and used the wrong type of oil - and some major problem came up, they could void parts of the engine warranty, but issues not related to the oil goof up would still be covered.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Yeah, the receipts will have to be kept. As for taking it to the dealer for an oil change, why bother. They will just put in the el-cheapo Motorcraft (Conoco) oil. I want to take care of my new car the best way I can. As for the K&N, I may put on the cold-air intake, but not even sure if that will cause a stink with the dealership.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM

4,114 posts, read 7,601,533 times
No need for a dlr change; a DIY w/receipts is acceptable proof; just follow red'c "current ratings"
for oil, per manual, not brands. 1200 miles is fairly extreme for a first dump, but not wrong, per se.

As for K&N, on car nut boards you will get pages of opinions. My opin is Ford, like any mfg'er these
days. worked pretty diligently on the intake process, so why toss a perfectly good, new air filter
for that or, any aftermarket filter.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
No need for a dlr change; a DIY w/receipts is acceptable proof; just follow red'c "current ratings"
for oil, per manual, not brands. 1200 miles is fairly extreme for a first dump, but not wrong, per se.

As for K&N, on car nut boards you will get pages of opinions. My opin is Ford, like any mfg'er these
days. worked pretty diligently on the intake process, so why toss a perfectly good, new air filter
for that or, any aftermarket filter.
Good point about the air filter. I will wait on that one.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,367,188 times
I agree that there is the Magnason Act which will protect your warranty. I agree you just past breakin, and should change the oil and filter, or have it done, and use what ever oil that suits you.
7,500 is far to long IMO to run break in oil as there is sure to be mung and crud in it as gasket material sealers, and metal.

Keep ALL reciepts and record what you did for everything in a log. All dated. All in detail, so in 3 years you can read it and know what was done.

If the plan is to do every single bit of maint you can, but the factory shop manual, and follow it, which means read it, at least so far as what needs a service and when. Then do that and a a little more. At first most of this is just visual checks anyway.

That K&N is ok, but unless you do other mods it will just let a little more air in, only so much as the exhaust can breath out as it is.

Other oils might be dumped too, final drive gear oil mainly unless this is a stick shift car, then drop the tranny oil to, to get metals.

More or less at 14,000 many other things need lubed where they can be. Doors, suspention and etc. At that time all hose clamps should be checked and most anything that moves should be checked and lubed.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 AM

7,827 posts, read 10,351,961 times
What Mac said.

Magnuson-Moss Act prevents manufacturers from voiding your warranty for requiring you to use specific products.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the replies!!!

I am going to change the oil out at 2,000 miles. It currently has 1,200 on it. However, the manual states that the break-in period is 1,000 miles, but the first oil change (according to the manual) is not supposed to be until I reach 7,500 miles. I'll be damned if I keep that original oil in until 7,500. You would figure that Ford would want you to get that break-in oil out before 7,500, but oh well.

Has anyone used Mobil 1? The Amsoil is a pain to get hold of. I can order it directly, but not sure I want to pay a hefty shipping charge. I can get Mobil 1 over the counter. I can also order Royal Purple and get free shipping, but I don't know anyone who uses it.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,321,908 times
I've used M1 without incident. I prefer Elf, but M1 works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or