U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 AM

239 posts, read 427,875 times
Default Anyone ever towed a "trade in car" to the dealer?

Up to a week ago my 2003 car with a 100,000 mile car had some trade in value. It was running just fine. I came really close to buying a new car a month ago with my old car as a trade. I estimated the trade was worth about $2500. Now the car has died and and the two places I brought it to said it would take about $1000 in repair costs to get it on the road again.

The car dealers tell me that my car is nearly worthless as a trade, maybe $200 because it is not running. But if I spent the $1000 to get it fixed maybe then I could get my $2500 in a trade.

Isn't this crazy I have to spend all kinds of money to get it in tradeable condition, so I can unload it. There has to be a more logical way to handle this.

Anyone ever towed a trade in car to the dealer?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 AM

4,466 posts, read 4,905,289 times
Sell it yourself to a dude who wants a fixer upper, be completely honest, try and get $1500 for it, but realistically, I'd settle for half.

No dealership will bother fixing it, unless they deal specifically with that, but even then, they'll take it off your hands for next to nothing.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM

8,380 posts, read 11,551,951 times
I have a buddy who bought a used BMW 740I at a local used car lot for a Lexus Dealership. He paid less than book value. Within a few days, it had dash codes pop up right away and the lot would not fix it or really even discuss it. The BMW people reset the dash lights but said it was a bad computer module and were happy to fix it for $6,000.

So, he waited a couple of weeks and took it back to the Lexus side of the dealership in the evening when the new car side was open and the used car lot was closed and traded it in for more than he had paid for it on a new Lexus.

I imagine the used car manger was a little blue when he got it back, but no one called and the paperwork went through fine.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,656,513 times
No he didn't. They would have seen it in their records. Nice story, though.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
No he didn't. They would have seen it in their records. Nice story, though.
Actually, yes he did. Oh, you're the guy that was attacking me on the other thread because I'm not in love with your cherished ACLU? . Hey, just get lost, troll.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-28-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Everyone loves to tell stories about how they "pulled one over" on the dealerships. I worked for dealerships for several years. They aren't stupid. When they take appraise a trade-in, they look at the VIN. When they check the VIN, it will pop up in their system as one that was already in their system. They will then pull the records on it and see what happened.

Also, not to mention that dealers know what cars are worth. It's kind of, you know, their business.

So, it's a lovely story, and feel free to keep telling it, but it's total crap.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Everyone loves to tell stories about how they "pulled one over" on the dealerships. I worked for dealerships for several years. They aren't stupid. When they take appraise a trade-in, they look at the VIN. When they check the VIN, it will pop up in their system as one that was already in their system. They will then pull the records on it and see what happened.

Also, not to mention that dealers know what cars are worth. It's kind of, you know, their business.

So, it's a lovely story, and feel free to keep telling it, but it's total crap.
When you were sweeping up at Performance Lexus, I assume that the IT manager was consulting you on the design of their system? Or, did you happen upon a dump of their code in the dumpster when you were emptying the trash.

But, your comment is not only directed at me because I handed you your lunch in another thread, but its just plain wrong. I've only traded in about 20 cars and no one ever wrote down my VIN until the deal was in paper. And these days, the only guy that does the paper is the business manager. You don't like the story because it came from your master whom you resent. Sorry, troll. Now get lost like I told you before.

BTW, I had two rep comments for my post about your beloved ACLU, how many did you have?

Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM

I must have really struck a nerve for you to try and be so insulting. It would seem you know that you are full of ****, got called on being full of ****, and are now trying to disguise the smell of the **** emanating off of you.

Before I was managing the internet department, while I was selling, I would write down a client's VIN every time before an appraisal of their car was done. The VIN has all kinds of information in it relevant to an appraisal. Just because they didn't see me write it down doesn't mean it didn't happen. Every dealership has an appraisal form the sales person fills out before the manager appraises a trade, and that form includes the VIN. They won't appraise the car without the VIN.

Like I said, though, keep telling the story. It seems to amuse you, even though anyone who knows about the car business knows that it's BS.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:02 PM

You have been following me around like little girl. Don't elevate yourself to the status of important. It doesn't suit you. If you worked in dealership, i estimate that you had a broom in your hand and a confused look on your face.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 PM

You flatter yourself to think that you are so important that I would follow you around. I only bothered to notice you because of how incredibly ignorant your statements are.

Also, keep up with the personal attacks. It's very telling as to who is right and who is wrong here. The person who knows they are in the wrong is the person who feels the need to attack the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive