Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK folks, annoying situation here: starter on my car is dead, and the hood won't open either. So the car has been sitting around for a while because I just don't have the money to fix it. I figured I would push-start it periodically and drive it around to keep the battery charged up. Well, yesterday when I went to check on it the battery was pretty drained. It will still operate the locks, and it will still roll the windows up and down (though barely). But that's about it.,,,,,.
The bigger question here is why are you locking the doors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The bigger question here is why are you locking the doors?
Really? That's the bigger question here?

I lock my doors for the same reason anyone else locks theirs.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Really? That's the bigger question here?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the one with the Golf too, who doesn't lock the doors on it and keep the keys in the car?

If so, I think it might've just been a joke, referring to that.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Never had a Golf, but I do have a Jetta. And no, I don't leave the keys inside it. Never have, much less done so intentionally.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
My bad then.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
R

So people have to break the windows to find out that there is nothing in there worth stealing?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Drover I could text a lot of stuff, but it won't do you much good. There is one last shot, but you gotta spend 35 bucks. That car should have a ciggy butt lighter, which I hope is working and ON all the time even if the keys are locked and in yer pocket.

You need to go to walley world and buy a 1.5 amp Shumaker charger for 20 bucks. On the same rack, the battery rack there is cigg butt plug in volt meters fior about 15 bucks. You can use these on any thing forever more too, so not a wasted of money.

Ok I lied you need a ciggy but power adapter and you must wire the charger to it one way or another. The plug to place in the car's socket, and get it wired correctly.

That way you can charge the battery from inside the car. That will take no less than 20 hours on a flat battery, before you can get any reading that will prove one way or the other the battery is marginal or just dead.

All the windows BS, over head lights BS and even starting the engine for less than 1 hour is all drain and BS.

A battery gets zapped out of apx 365 amps at each start. That alone to put back, takes at least 1 hours engine running. The others are right, the ECU must power up the fuel pump and pre pump must power up and then still have enough juice to run the ignition.

Probably this battery is shot, but I can't know that with out testing.

I am a x Saab tech, and if the hood is stuck you must tinker around thru the grill and get at the latch which is no fun. There is no other way either.

If the inside cable lever broke off there is vise grips. But you didn't say what was broken, just that the hood won't work.

If you buy that stuff and create the adapter, the first thing to do is take a reading, and pray you see 11+ plus volts minimum.

Where I live I still leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition LLOL

Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Push-starting a car that hasn't been run for a while takes time. However, you should be able to do it even if the battery is completely flat. In fact, you could even remove the battery entirely as long as you connect the battery cables to one another.
If the battery is completely dead, it won't start. The alternator requires an initial voltage before it can start producing electricity out of its own.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 573 times
Just boost the vehicle off someone's vehicle. Since you can't get the hood open, attach the positive side o]f the jumper cables to the starter and the negative side to anything metal on the car

Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Buy a batter charger, there not that expensive and then you have one for whenever you need it forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive