U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What vehicle would you buy your soon-to-be fiance
2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade 5 12.20%
2010 Lexus RX350 9 21.95%
2010 Cadillac CTS 3 7.32%
2008-2009 BMW 535i 13 31.71%
Other 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,967,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Wait until your married for a few years to do something as stupid as this. Keep her at the threshold of happy for now... if the marriage works out for a while then start dumping your hard earned cash. You're all emotion right now, learn to cool the jets!

If you do go out and buy a car she will think its nice and sweet but will always expect that kind of treatment from then on out. She will never appreciate things if you just lavish her. Don't set yourself up for disaster.
I'm not really asking about whether or not I should buy her a car...I'm asking what type would be best suited for a female. I take offense that you think all women are the same and she's going to expect me to continually buy her things...she isn't that type of person, I've been with her for enough years to tell you that.

It is an emotional purchase but is also a practical one...her current vehicle isn't going to last much more than 10K miles without the tranny dropping or some major engine issues. I see it as an investment in her safety as well as my peace of mind.

What's wrong with doing something sweet for a girlfriend/soon-to-be fiance? I just want to get her something nice for the love of my life.

I'm truly happy with my life right now, it seems everything has finally clicked into place. I have a stable job with a good income, I have a wonderful girlfriend who I can't wait to be married to, I have family/friends who are all in excellent health, I have no mortgage payment (at 30 years old...I feel it's an accomplishment). $40K isn't going to make or break me, I feel money is best spent making others happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 AM

33,221 posts, read 39,354,180 times
If you are going to buy her a car as some statement of your love for her then it doesnt really matter what car you buy her as most girls/women cant tell one from the other and if you know her as well as you claim you should already know what she wants.
if finances are low those are some mighty expensive options a Civic wont do?
Your money maybe better spent on a ring or a down payment on the wedding or the house you will eventually live in or a round the world cruise.
Dont think for a moment she's going to think this is a romantic gesture as girls dont look at cars as a romantic gift,its going to be on par with an expensive vacuum cleaner.
but if you must then i'd opt for the Escalade.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM

1,306 posts, read 2,582,931 times
You have a good track record with American cars, I say stick with them. Then you'll have the added benefit of making me happy as well as her .

Oh and I voted for the Escalade.

** I forgot to add, I don't know what you/her think of the Buick Enclave but I had one as a rental a couple months back and it was a great vehicle. It's obviously not a fullsize but it may save you a few bucks.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 AM

437 posts, read 591,922 times

YouTube - The Green Mile - Dead Man Walking

Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 AM

11,874 posts, read 9,359,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are going to buy her a car as some statement of your love for her then it doesnt really matter what car you buy her as most girls/women cant tell one from the other and if you know her as well as you claim you should already know what she wants.
if finances are low those are some mighty expensive options a Civic wont do?
Your money maybe better spent on a ring or a down payment on the wedding or the house you will eventually live in or a round the world cruise.
Dont think for a moment she's going to think this is a romantic gesture as girls dont look at cars as a romantic gift,its going to be on par with an expensive vacuum cleaner.
but if you must then i'd opt for the Escalade.
No offense intended, but I sure as heck can tell one from another - of course my dad taught me about cars, as well as the fact my ex husband was pretty clueless when it came to automobiles.

And again, as a woman, I personally feel it is a romantic gesture - now, buying a flat screen TV as a birthday present for one's wife right before the husband's NFL season ticket on cable kicks in is NOT a romantic gesture LOL Funny, but not romantic (and that did happen to me).

So guess the moral of the story is that not all guys know jack about cars and not all women would find a new vehicle an 'unromantic' gift

Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,330,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
When are the girls on the forum gonna weigh in?
I'm a girl

I like the other posters idea as well. Buy it yourself , see how things go and sign it over to her .

Like this " Hey baby , you really like my new _______, good because I am giving it to you :"...( later )

Saves the hassle if you buy her something she might not like.

Showering her with all these nice things is fun and I know this is not the Relationship forum but a car purchase is a huge chunk of change.

Are you going to both be riding in it ?

Would it be okay with asking you how long you have been with her ?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,677,944 times
The dude didn't ask for marriage advice. Give him a car suggestion or butt out, how hard is that?

It's his money, not yours, jeez people.

What did you think of my previous suggestions Speedy? Or are you decided on it being one in the poll?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:14 PM

11,874 posts, read 9,359,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The dude didn't ask for marriage advice. Give him a car suggestion or butt out, how hard is that?

What did you think of my previous suggestions Speedy? Or are you decided on it being one in the poll?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,514,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Hehe. He didn't ask but he needed the advice. I say buy the wife whatever she wants, happy wife, happy life. But as for the fiance? No way. Title it to yourself and then sign it over when you get married.

I rep'd a ballplayer who would start a girlfriend out with a new 911. But it was leased. And, if things didn't go so well, the leasing company would stop by and pick up the car.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM

33,221 posts, read 39,354,180 times
JustJoy By the first post i thought i was talking to a guy, sorry for the mistake and sorry for insinuating most girls cant tell the difference in cars obviously you are one of the few who can . As for a car as a romantic gift? its a nice gift but ultimately is just a bunch of nuts and bolts,nothing i'd call romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or