U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What vehicle would you buy your soon-to-be fiance
2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade 5 12.20%
2010 Lexus RX350 9 21.95%
2010 Cadillac CTS 3 7.32%
2008-2009 BMW 535i 13 31.71%
Other 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,932,119 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the congratulations! I am truly excited to enter a new plateau in my life, she is one of the most wonderful things that has happened to me and I count my blessings each and every morning. I've gotten messages saying "You should save up for a house" or "Buy her a cheap Honda"...I can understand where some posters may be coming from in saying such things but I'm lucky enough to have worked many hours to become comfortable financially. I'd much rather spend money on doing something fun and a bit frivolous to make her smile.

I think some of you HAVE convinced me that I maybe should let her pick out something on her own. I really wanted to do this as a romantic gesture but you have opened my eyes to see that it's maybe not such a good idea to buy something for her when she'll be driving it all the time. I might make her a "gift certificate" of sorts and allow her to pick out something on her own...not quite as fun but nonetheless...a better decision in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 AM

13,320 posts, read 19,673,416 times
Cadillac SRX for the SUV that she wants and most likely a 2010.......!

Since she wants a SUV.......and this vehicle is amazing and beautiful.......I think she would adore it..........Surprise.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,554,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I might make her a "gift certificate" of sorts and allow her to pick out something on her own...not quite as fun but nonetheless...a better decision in the long run.
A wise decision...since it's best to let it be her choice. Buy her a Hot Wheels or Matchbox car and wrap it in disguise, so when she opens the box and wonders why she got a toy car, your certificate can be underneath it. Congratulations to both of you!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,368,824 times
Quote:
I think some of you HAVE convinced me that I maybe should let her pick out something on her own. I really wanted to do this as a romantic gesture but you have opened my eyes to see that it's maybe not such a good idea to buy something for her when she'll be driving it all the time.
I would agree with this, and it might be fun to sit in a number of different vehicles on test drives for a day.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,168,523 times
Quote:
I've gotten messages saying "You should save up for a house" or "Buy her a cheap Honda"...I can understand where some posters may be coming from in saying such things but I'm lucky enough to have worked many hours to become comfortable financially. I'd much rather spend money on doing something fun and a bit frivolous to make her smile.
It's really nice to be able to do so, just don't kill yourself working insane hours trying to make money and your soon to be finance never being able to see you!

Good luck!

PS I like the gift certificate idea!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM

17,500 posts, read 18,660,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
A wise decision...since it's best to let it be her choice. Buy her a Hot Wheels or Matchbox car and wrap it in disguise, so when she opens the box and wonders why she got a toy car, your certificate can be underneath it. Congratulations to both of you!
Good idea. It can be damn tough to second guess a woman on a lot of things, but a car, I don't think I would chance it with The Super Chief unless it was a mid 50 or 60's car or truck.

Best of luck Speedy with your final decision. Keep us posted.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM

474 posts, read 740,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Ok well... I don't see what your fuss is about.

Your Ridgeline is rated at 15/20 and the non-hybrid Escalade is rated at 14/20. Why are you so critical of the Escalade's consumption when your own purchase is a "thirsty beast"?
The AWD Escalade is 13/20. The Ridgeline is AWD.

I would certainly like better mileage out of my Ridgeline. But there were no other trucks that ride and handle as well, nor have the reliability of Honda. So it won my business.

The Escalade on the other hand is being compared to a number of different vehicles here. Compared to them - it is a blingy thirsty beast. Just my opinion of course.

For the OP - I agree with others that you should take her car shopping. My wife would not appreciate it one bit if I picked a car for her without her help.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 PM

229 posts, read 364,395 times
Take her down and let her pick one out herself. Or find out what she likes without letting her know your plan and surprise her with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or