U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM

12,114 posts, read 8,098,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'd get one, rework the suspension and drop the supercharged 3800 motor for some decent power.

If I'm not mistaken someone DID make a blower for the V6.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 AM

466 posts, read 296,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I owned and drove Fieros for 20+ years, selling my last two years ago. Here are my thoughts:

For the most part, they are getting fairly old and long in the tooth. Even lower mile examples in good condition are going to need a fair bit of regular attention as things wear out due to old age. These cars are 30 years old. Rubber parts are old, dry rotted, and not going to be performing at their optimum.

My first Fiero, an 88 Formula (v6), I drove the longest. It reached 160K miles at which point I spun a bearing in the enging killing it. (I was driving it hard on track, and probably pushed it too hard for it's age.) Still, in 160K miles, I never had to crack the engine or transmission for a major repair.

Of all the Fieros I had (4, all V6's), everything wore out reliably around 100K. Alternators, water pumps, heater cores seals, steering racks, etc etc. Clearly, GM's engineering target for longevity in that era was 100K miles. I also tend to see a lot of Fieros for sale around the 100K mile mark, and I highly suspect they stop getting driven, and/or owners give up on them because of this. The stick shift models can get pricey quickly too. The clutch system was kind of new for the time, a hydraulic setup, and if the system is not working at 100% the clutch will fry fast. There are a lot of weak points in the system too, any one of which will cause you major headaches. (known for failure of both master and slave cylinders, earlier cars had weak clutch arms which would crack under the pressure of the slave cylinder, preventing clutch from fully disengaging, they are a nightmare to bleed, and improper bleeding will toast a clutch fast, and on and on).

Ultimately, I am sure you can daily drive the right Fiero. It is going to take a lot of work and TLC to keep going though.

The reason I sold my last a couple years ago and did not get back into them, is that I found after owning multiple Fieros all in apparent great shape (no rust, decent miles, maintenance records, etc), is because they still needed constant attention. Downtime would be days too, often times, due to the need to order parts with local stores no longer stocking even some common items.

I concluded they had just reached an age which exceeded their engineering lifespan to a point which would preclude them from reliable constant (daily) use.

So I would say, at this point, they would be pretty impractical to use daily. I really enjoyed them as a cheap, fun to drive sporty car though!
Listen to this man. My brother bought one, had the 1988 Formula I think it was called. Supposedly it was the best one they ever made.

He had a lot of problems with it, and it was only 4 years old at the time. The radiator/hoses leaked several times on him, forcing him to shut the car off and left him stranded. The clutch system went through multiple slave cylinders, dragging clutch and warped the flywheel.

I honestly don't know why he bought it, he'd always had an affinity for BMWs and Porsches. I can't imagine the amount of work that would be needed to keep one running after all these years, they weren't built with longevity in mind.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:33 PM

809 posts, read 566,825 times
just get the Toyota MR2 and save yourself a lot of money and stress with repairs.. 30 mpg is meaningless if you are spending hundreds every month trying to keep it running
Attached Thumbnails
Fiero as a daily driver?-toyota-mr2-twin-turbo-5.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or