U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,574,474 times

Advertisements

You need to find someone who can log on to Manheim. My friend can....

Manheim
Manheim
Specializes in auction services for registered automobile dealers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,514,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
All things being equal, the price the dealer paid at auction is pivotal to the negotiation of price, wouldn't you say? I'm not a "monthly payment" buyer; I'm interested in only one number: the price I pay for the car. I don't have a problem with the dealer earning a fair profit, but obviously want to leverage a fair price for myself in the process.

Even a ballpark idea of what is typically paid at auction would be better than nothing.
Let's put it this way ... say you won a sweepstake and the prize was a $30,000 car. However, you already have a nice car and want to sell this new one. Should you be expected to make only the "fair profit" of, say, $2,000 since your cost is $0 or should you sell it for whatever the market will bear?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,980,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
there are some very unhelpful posts on here, or posts from dealer themselves. google fatwallet dealer auction. there are some members in there who do price checks for others. There is even talk of known dealers willing to take a flat commission for obtain a car at auction for you. To them, it saves on overhead and lot space, and money tied up in vehicle.
I looked and did not see talk of dealers who will take a flat commission for buying a car. I thought it would be a good way to get a deal on a newer used car. I'm on the market.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM

2,590 posts, read 5,882,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
A dealer's cost at the auction is not pivotal to the negotiation of price.
I agree, if it's a car the dealer thinks he can sell for more, fair profit margin or not, he's going to sell for more. I guess if the dealer brought the car and the next day you said you would buy it from him, he might do a good deal with you to flip the car in one day and make a decent profit. Otherwise he can afford to let it sit for a week or two while looking for a buyer that is willing to pay more.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I looked and did not see talk of dealers who will take a flat commission for buying a car. I thought it would be a good way to get a deal on a newer used car. I'm on the market.
I've got dealers who are friends who will allow me to buy a car through an auction and run it through their dealership for a couple hundred bucks. The downside to this is that if the car has a problem it's all on you; but the risk is no greater than buying private party, and if you know what you're doing you can get a good deal.

As far as knowing what a dealer paid for a used car, if the car is worth $15K retail, that's all that really matters. Typically a dealer would probably give $12-$13 for the car, but if he's able to pick it up for $10K because there was a snowstorm and hardly anybody came to the auction I don't see any reason why he shouldn't make a little more on the deal. After all, there are plenty of times where they overpay for cars or buy cars that end up needing work that they have wind up selling at a loss, they need to be able to offset this somehow.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,461,822 times
Or on the other hand, my dealer friend has found things tougher at auctions as of late, since tax season usually ends up having vehicle prices jacked up as everyone coming in has money to burn now.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,295,421 times
The dealer isn't going to sell you the car for less than they think they can get from someone else. So I can't see why it matters what they paid for it.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,840,221 times
Its supply and demand here in the USA

Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,532,509 times
Years ago a guy came into my specialty A/V store and told me he was only going to pay a certain amount over what we paid for TVs, surround sound, etc. He knew our costs within a few percentage points, not counting back end money. I told him that knowing those numbers didn't mean we would sell to him for any less than we normally would. He said that since he knew our "secrets" he had a better position from which to negotiate. I suggested that he was incorrect, because we still needed to get "x" amount of profit, regardless of what he knew.

Some people have absolutely no clue of how business works, and how to properly participate in it.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 AM

530 posts, read 2,048,035 times
You could open up your own dealer, and get these really good auction deals for yourself? Or you could just support the folks that dropped a couple of million bucks to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive