U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM

10,875 posts, read 41,244,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuildingllc View Post
The going rate would be about 23000 which I could afford but just because there is a shortage of ext cabs with 8 ' beds doesnt mean I should have to pay 29000 for it if everyone takes on the mentallity of get as much as you can for yourself with no regard to others we all suffer as it gets passed along. Since I have to replace my 08 ram 2500 the more I have to pay over what that was valued at would get passed to my customers as I would have to raise my rates to pay the extra on the truck and still put food on the table for my family. The chain of take take take has to be broken somewhere
Do you allow your customers to dictate what your billable rates are for your projects and what is a fair market value for work product?

Your customers have the option to take their projects elsewhere if they don't like your price.

Just like you do if you don't like this dealer's price on his product, you can shop the markets elsewhere, or not make a purchase at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,554,746 times
Hey, the dealer's also trying to make "an honest living" and has to "put food on the table" too. God bless!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,468,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
The car is in pristine condition. Visual inspection by mechanic and vehicle history report are complete. "On the lift" inspection by my mechanic is pending. Will obtain service record history (thank you for the suggestion).

All things being equal, the price the dealer paid at auction is pivotal to the negotiation of price, wouldn't you say? I'm not a "monthly payment" buyer; I'm interested in only one number: the price I pay for the car. I don't have a problem with the dealer earning a fair profit, but obviously want to leverage a fair price for myself in the process.

Even a ballpark idea of what is typically paid at auction would be better than nothing.
The problem I see is the dealer who bought it at auction didn't get it to cut discount deals and sell it for less than he thinks the market will bring. That is how he makes a living...You pay his price or someone else will.He isn't going to tell you squat about the deal he may have got because its not really any business of yours.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 PM

9,866 posts, read 13,964,234 times
I'll give you ballpark idea, as as community, we buy auctioned cars and pal has used dealership.
Dealer makes about $2000 off an auctioned vehicle.
They have one advantage over you - they can wait. If they are not in their profit goal they won't budge. That they may try to make $ 5000 off that car, that's their business to mind. Yours is not to let them to.
Not sure why you are so anal about monthly payments. I always was cash buy craigslist guy, until I hit the wall with Ridgeline RTL. Simply could not find them on craigslist good enough cash buy.
So I found one that was few grand more at dealership, and bought her. I did modest down, $6000. It will take them about 2 months to filter loan through, and we have 4 paychecks coming in every month.
Instead of putting a hole into my saving account, I'll simply pay it off in 2 lump payments. Maybe I'll get hit by a hundred or so in interest, but that I do not care. As life has strange order of haunting you the very moment you make a large purchase.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM

13,546 posts, read 29,523,948 times
I've sold my own cars before and have had people ask me what I owe on it. That really ticks me off, it's none of their business if I owe $1 or $10k. Some people just can't stand someone else making money off of them, even if it's a fair price.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,676,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've sold my own cars before and have had people ask me what I owe on it. That really ticks me off, it's none of their business if I owe $1 or $10k. Some people just can't stand someone else making money off of them, even if it's a fair price.
Not vehicle-related, but this reminds me of a situation a few years ago. After a few ideal years here in the Midwest my mother-in-law ended up with a full year's supply of surplus big bales of hay. A local guy found a great market in Texas and was buying hay locally for $50/bale and hauling it down there to sell. He offered to buy her surplus but she didn't want to sell to him because he was going to be making money off of it. She wound up selling it locally for $25-$35 a bale. It cost her several thousand dollars in lost revenue, but by golly at least nobody made any money off of her!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 PM

8,578 posts, read 13,477,706 times
After reading all the posts, no one yet has said anything about the Dealer talking a vehicle to the auction. The other day I contacted a dealer in Tuscon about a Linclon Navagator l 2013 year. When new these are fords highest cost vehicle on average. I always buy used just because of the large deprecation on expensive autos..........here is the rest of the story, I asked what the vehicle was priced at, it's 49,900 ! I saw that as higher than I wanted to pay, so I ever went to look at the car.. That was a few days ago, today the sales person who I was talking to called me and said " you can buy it cheap now , as the dealer is going to tale it to the auction!" I asked just how cheep that was...."2,000 les than we wanted a few days ago." . So , now I wonder, if the auction thing is real, the lower price should be at lest 5,000 , maybe 8,000 not 2,000 which makes me think this was just a sales trick. If they really are going to take it to auction, what would be a fair price that the dealer would sell it for ? I checked the wholesale price and it's 33,000 ! ......that's my question here in reverse, just how much does this dealer want to make or can get at auction which, unless it's a collector car, the buying dealer is looking for a real deal ! Seems to me 16,000 to 18,000 is a lot for a dealer to get on a car already two years old. What do you all think ?

Old 01-28-2015, 12:01 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,121,530 times
This screenshot is from Manheim.com (I have a login), the main auto auction house in the USA. This is the transactions of 2013 Navigators being sold this past week. This is what they are going for at auction.

How many miles? Could offer $35K and I'm sure they would counter to $40K.
Attached Thumbnails
What Did Dealer Pay at Auction?-nav.jpg  

Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 AM

8,578 posts, read 13,477,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
This screenshot is from Manheim.com, the main auto auction house in the USA. This is the transactions of 2013 Navigators being sold this past week. This is what they are going for at auction.

How many miles? Could offer $35K and I'm sure they would counter to $40K.
Thanks for the chart, now I see the rest of the story.........the miles are 25,000 I think. I have never had anyone try that scheme before, and I have bought a lot and sold a lot the past 55 years ! My main state is Michigan, I had 6 transactions.last year, 5 with a title change. Right after I retired 10 years ago , I was big on eBay, vintage stuff plus parts, made a lot of money that 5 years, till all my stuff was sold. Great fun when you get two bidders against each other.......those were fun times.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,121,530 times
Yeah, looks like a 4WD 2013 Navigator w/ 25K miles will go for $37-40K at auction.

FYI, a 2013 Yukon Denali AWD with ~20K miles is going for $40-45K at auction.

Crazy.

I'm in the market for a new 2015 Yukon Denali or 2015 Expedition Limited. Not much competition in this market and GM has the best car. Too bad they are so freaking expensive. Ugh. Not interested in older models, want push button start, adaptive CC, Heads Up Display, collision warning, HIDs, LEDs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive