U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 AM

13 posts, read 178,410 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your posts!
Yes, I am going to buy a car from a dealership, will be on my first auto loan.

To summarize, I will need:
1. driver's license
2. proof of insurance
3. proof of income

But here's more questions I have:
1. what kinds of insurance will I have to show them if I don't yet own a car?
2. would passport work instead of driver's license? (because I don't have one yet, but I will eventually get one)

Thank you all again for your inputs.
This is a great help to me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 AM

38 posts, read 169,400 times
For faster and more efficient service, bring the relavant documents with you like ID Card, your residence proof, salary slip if required

Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,320,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak11 View Post
But here's more questions I have:
1. what kinds of insurance will I have to show them if I don't yet own a car?
2. would passport work instead of driver's license? (because I don't have one yet, but I will eventually get one)
1) the type of insurance needed will depend on your state, and the requirements of the lender (if applicable).

2) You'll want a drivers license. People in this thread argued that it is not a requirement, but in reality, a dealer isn't going to give you the time of day without one.

Last edited by 1200RT; 09-01-2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: edit to fix spelling mistake.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM

665 posts, read 645,437 times
Again, how the **** do you insure a car you don't own? What the hell are you people talking about when you say you need proof of insurance to buy a car? How does that work, for god's sake?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Everybody, please distinguish between these concepts:

A) Buying a car. Securing legal possession of the article.

B) Titling and licensing a car. Getting legal authorization to enable use of the car on public roads.

C) Driving a car. Starting, steering and stopping it on a public road while sitting in the driver's seat.

They are three completely separate procedures, each of which is governed by its own set of statutory requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
1) but in reality, a dealer isn't going to give you the time of day without one.

A dealer has a car with $5,000 on the sign, and you walk in and he says "How can I help you" and you say "Here are 50 $100-bills, please sign the title for that car and hand it to me with the key. He will give you more than the time of day. He'll buy you lunch.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-01-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,320,232 times
oh come on.

its completely obvious to everyone here that this guy is trying to do A, B and C of your list. We don't need to argue the differences between the three.

Confusing the OP doesn't help anyone. There is no reason to "distinguish" those things - for all intents, they are one and the same. For THIS conversation, "buying a car" means purchasing it and obtaining the ability to drive it off the dealer's property. I know that, you know that, and so does everyone else.

As for needing a DL or not - refer to my above statements. Its obvious that situation is not the intention of the OP, so why confuse things.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
oh come on.

its completely obvious to everyone here that this guy is trying to do A, B and C of your list. We don't need to argue the differences between the three.

Confusing the OP doesn't help anyone. There is no reason to "distinguish" those things - for all intents, they are one and the same. For THIS conversation, "buying a car" means purchasing it and obtaining the ability to drive it off the dealer's property. I know that, you know that, and so does everyone else.

As for needing a DL or not - refer to my above statements. Its obvious that situation is not the intention of the OP, so why confuse things.
Maybe you'd better go back and read the OP:
Quote:
I'm planning to buy my first new car.
What documents should I bring to the dealership?
Well, OP, that depends on whether you've even picked out a car you like yet and asked the price. While you're doing that, you can ask the dealer what documents he will need to see, in order to close the deal. If you're asking US (instead of the dealer), you got what you deserved.

My answer remains the same. You need money. The dealership doesn't care what else you have. But if you also want to finance the car through the dealership, the documents you'll need to get the financing will vary widely from state to state and from lender to lender.

Some states might require licensed auto dealers to keep certain records of sales, but we don't know what state you are in.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-02-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 AM

13 posts, read 178,410 times
Thank you all very much!
Truly appreciate it!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 AM

268 posts, read 380,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Again, how the **** do you insure a car you don't own? What the hell are you people talking about when you say you need proof of insurance to buy a car? How does that work, for god's sake?
You don't.

If you're financing, the bank is going to require you insure the vehicle. If you have current insurance on a different car, the dealership will let you take the vehicle on good faith that you'll insure the new car also. If you don't have current insurance, they'll require you insure it before you take it off the lot. So, bring proof of insurance or be ready to purchase insurance.

Previous year tax forms is the best way to show proof of income. If you save your pay stubs those work too, but some banks will only take a W2.

I've been told, in the state of CO, a dealership can't legally sell a vehicle to an unlicensed person. This could be true in other states as well, or I could just be completely wrong. Better to just bring one by default, especially if you want to test drive the vehicle. Also, at the very least, a state ID will be needed to prove identity when you're signing loan documents (a passport or ID from another country might work here, I don't know).

That's all you need that I can think of.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM

78 posts, read 197,111 times
Question Insuring a car before you own one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Still no straight answer on this question assuming you did not own a car before. How does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive