U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM

13 posts, read 88,797 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to buy my first new car.
What documents should I bring to the dealership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,663,624 times
first car and first auto loan? or are you buying the car in cash?

When buying, you'll need your DL and proof of insurance as a minimum.

If you're on your first auto loan, you'll probably need proof of income or other stipulations for the bank to verify your ability to pay.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
first car and first auto loan? or are you buying the car in cash?

When buying, you'll need your DL and proof of insurance as a minimum.

If you're on your first auto loan, you'll probably need proof of income or other stipulations for the bank to verify your ability to pay.
No DL ever needed to buy a car. But you'll need it, andn proof of insurance, if you plan to drive it home. You don't need insurance to buy it, but you need insurance to plate it. If you already own a car, the insurance you already have will normally be honored until you have a chance to notify your insurance company of the purchase.

If I'm selling a car in my front yard, the only thing I need to see is the money. Give me the money, I give you a signed title and a key, and what you do then is your business. Doubt if any dealer would necessarily ask for anything else.

In some states, dealers are authorized to issue certain documents, like registration certificates, if its a state where the plates stay with the car.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 AM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times
Just purchased a car about 2 months ago from a dealership...They asked for proof of ins. and our Driver's License. We paid cash. If your applying for a loan, you will need bank names, SS#, Need not have the bank acct. #'s, as they will check themselves.
Also buying a car in NC next week....We've been told to bring the same.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No DL ever needed to buy a car.
I guess if we're going to be picky, you're right. But the dealer will need proof of age when signing forms, so a state ID will likely work as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I guess if we're going to be picky, you're right. But the dealer will need proof of age when signing forms, so a state ID will likely work as well.
And if someone wanted to actually "test" drive the car they were buying...a DL would be necessary.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,602,838 times
How do you insure something you don't yet own?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Quote:
Licensed dealers may be regulated in some or all states, so anything they require is needed only for them to comply with any paperwork associated with their dealers license. A car sold in a private sale requires absolutely no paperwork except the title. The purchaser is not required to sign anything until he goes to the DMV and applies for a title transfer, registration and license plate. And Drivers License is never required for that, in any state. However, a recognized ID may be (but isn't necessarily) requested to verify the identity of the person signing the papers. A passport will serve that purpose, or, as you indicated, a State ID.

Many car owners are not licensed to drive, and either hire a driver, or own a car on behalf of family members who drive, especially minors who can drive but can't legally own a car. Corporations all own cars, but none of them have a drivers license. I don't recall ever showing my drivers license to anybody when I bought or registered or even insured a car.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM

He said he was going to a dealership.

You may not NEED to show a license when buying "private party" but I would argue its MORE important. Wouldn't you want to verify that the seller is legally in position of the vehicle?? Just because they have the title, doesn't mean they are who they say they are.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak11 View Post
I'm planning to buy my first new car.
What documents should I bring to the dealership?
OP already stated he/she was purchasing from a dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive